HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 6:13 PM
FutureMike3000

Mike for mayor

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 4:09 AM

Haven't stopped by this forum in a while, and surprised to see this hasn't been posted yet.

Updates on few exciting residential projects

The 250-unit, $45 million Meridian at the Port finally breaks ground:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....y_at_hand.html

The 84-unit, mixed-use $30 million renovation of the Merchants Bank Building unveiled:

http://http://realestate.al.com/real...ark_to_un.html

And announced today, the 70-unit, $7 million renovation of Seamen's Club/ Old City Hall North.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/3609178...tment-building

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 12:40 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Thanks for the updates with visuals Alxx. It's really exciting to see that momentum in downtown Mobile continues.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:27 AM

Another major project the seems to maybe be getting overlooked.

The new $89 million Federal Courthouse Building on St. Joseph Street.

I forgot this thing went through a redesign. I remember at one point this, was going to be a much shorter, longer structure that was going to take up multiple blocks and break up the street grid. Now that they changed it to a taller structure, does anybody know if that's still the case with the street grid?

Current design:

Old design:

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
Another major project the seems to maybe be getting overlooked.

The new $89 million Federal Courthouse Building on St. Joseph Street.

I forgot this thing went through a redesign. I remember at one point this, was going to be a much shorter, longer structure that was going to take up multiple blocks and break up the street grid. Now that they changed it to a taller structure, does anybody know if that's still the case with the street grid?
Here is some information on the courthouse project from this past June:
https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/162574

Based on the information from that page, the new building only takes up an entire city block (not multiple blocks like in the old rendering). The project also includes renovating the existing courthouse afterwards.

More details here:
https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/125030

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:00 PM

Big order of A320s from an US airline, I saw in the business news today!
This means more and more work to you guys.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Big order of A320s from an US airline, I saw in the business news today!
This means more and more work to you guys.
Looking forward to Bombardier coming to Mobile, too!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:43 AM

Boeing is being an asshole company.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-plant-in-u-s

We recently failed at an Alstom Transport - Bombardier merger in the rail industry over here.
Siemens eventually ate Alstom, which somewhat disturbed some of us since the Canadians can speak the same stuff as ours, while the Germans can't (yet).
But Germany's a huge strategic partner to us. It is outright priceless.

There's another opportunity to make Bombardier larger here, it seems.
Lol, their name is kinda cool.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:52 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Boeing is being an asshole company.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-plant-in-u-s

We recently failed at an Alstom Transport - Bombardier merger in the rail industry over here.
Siemens eventually ate Alstom, which somewhat disturbed some of us since the Canadians can speak the same stuff as ours, while the Germans can't (yet).
But Germany's a huge strategic partner to us. It is outright priceless.

There's another opportunity to make Bombardier larger here, it seems.
Lol, their name is kinda cool.
Well, Alabama will welcome Bombardier will open arms.

It's always a treasured moment to find out that foreign investors see the quality and value in our workforce.

It's always nice to take a moment afterwards and look at other potential foreign investments and say "You bet your ass we can!"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:44 AM

Greetings. I have been reading this forum as a guest for many years. Did everyone abandon their posts (pun intended) or is Mobile just in another development doldrums? Newsworthy: Serda Brewing Company on Government Street is open, and the building renovation is impressive. I do not know when Haint Blue Brewery and Iron Hand Brewery are scheduled to open, but I am confident our market can more than support all three. However, the long-overdue reappearance (RIP Port City and Hurricane Breweries) of microbreweries in Mobile many years after such businesses have thrived in MUCH smaller towns throughout AL begs a multiple-choice question. Has local bureaucratic red tape (Or, alternately, choose one: "Old Money" crony corruption? Generalized NIMBY resistance to change? Civic devotion to characterless suburban sprawl growth?) been holding Mobile back from its infinite potential? All three of these projects embody the *adaptive reuse of (albeit marginally) historic buildings*, which in my opinion is *Mobile's optimal growth strategy* (Step 1. Step 2 I'll save for my next post.) until our remaining historic architectural stock is no longer endangered by neglect. In sum, Mobile (teetotaler or drinker alike) should embrace and expedite such projects, not delay them at every turn! If only some careless fool in the 90's hadn't burnt down the German Relief Hall (Loved the cupola! Please Google-image search or someone please teach me how to post and credit photos.), I can only imagine what an amazing brewery scene we would already have!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoast View Post
Greetings. I have been reading this forum as a guest for many years. Did everyone abandon their posts (pun intended) or is Mobile just in another development doldrums? Newsworthy: Serda Brewing Company on Government Street is open, and the building renovation is impressive. I do not know when Haint Blue Brewery and Iron Hand Brewery are scheduled to open, but I am confident our market can more than support all three. However, the long-overdue reappearance (RIP Port City and Hurricane Breweries) of microbreweries in Mobile many years after such businesses have thrived in MUCH smaller towns throughout AL begs a multiple-choice question. Has local bureaucratic red tape (Or, alternately, choose one: "Old Money" crony corruption? Generalized NIMBY resistance to change? Civic devotion to characterless suburban sprawl growth?) been holding Mobile back from its infinite potential? All three of these projects embody the *adaptive reuse of (albeit marginally) historic buildings*, which in my opinion is *Mobile's optimal growth strategy* (Step 1. Step 2 I'll save for my next post.) until our remaining historic architectural stock is no longer endangered by neglect. In sum, Mobile (teetotaler or drinker alike) should embrace and expedite such projects, not delay them at every turn! If only some careless fool in the 90's hadn't burnt down the German Relief Hall (Loved the cupola! Please Google-image search or someone please teach me how to post and credit photos.), I can only imagine what an amazing brewery scene we would already have!
Welcome SouthCoast! Great to have another "Coaster" from Alabama! I've always thought that Mobile has been underrepresented on this forum. I love the city and I look forward to your participation in regular updates similar to how Birmingham, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa have been represented!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 11:58 PM

Thanks Tascalisa. You are kind to welcome me. I have been reluctant to post because I don't really feel as if I'm "in the loop" when it comes to forthcoming development. However, I am pleased to report that in this week's (Feb 28-March 6) "Lagniappe" (p. 20)there is news of a 4th brewery coming in fall of 2018: Old Majestic Brewery on Saint Louis Street! Our microbrew scene is rapidly transforming from nonexistent to awesome!
Also in the same issue there's an article on p. 22 that states discount carrier ViaAir will begin flying into Mobile (to/from Orlando), and that passenger service may soon be offered at Brookley Field! Well worth reading!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:56 AM

http://https://www.al.com/news/mobil..._medium=social

Quote:

Mobile Council votes against funding for USA stadium

By Lawrence Specker lspecker@al.com

The city of Mobile will not provide $10 million in funding for an on-campus University of South Alabama stadium, following a City Council vote on Tuesday that ended more than a month and half of intense discussion.

Four council members voted against a Letter of Intent laying out a deal between the city and the university, and three voted for it. It was a decisive defeat, given that five votes would have been needed to approve it. Mayor Sandy Stimpson, who'd introduced the funding proposal in late June, described the decision as a failure on multiple fronts, one that is likely to haunt the city in years to come.

"It sends a message to the NFL that the City does not support the Senior Bowl," the mayor said in a statement released as the council vote was taken. "It leaves Ladd Stadium with zero funding to create a facility that meets the needs of the neighborhood and the four high school football teams that play there. It leaves the City with no plan to solve the $33 million maintenance issue."

Councilman C.J. Small, one of the "no" votes, delivered an equally pointed message to the mayor, one which played on an oft-stated Stimpson theme.

"It's critical for the city of Mobile to address its own pressing issues and projects for all citizens," said Small. "I had a couple of citizens come to me [who] stated, 'If the mayor would work on blight and crime as he does for the USA stadium, we would have the most safest, friendly-business city by 2020, but yet it looks like we're having the most deadly city by the year 2020.' Therefore my decision today will be nay."

USA already has begun site preparation work for the stadium, but USA President Tony Waldrop had previously told the council that city funding was essential to move forward with the project as planned and have it ready for the 2020 season.

A couple of hours after the vote, USA President Tony Waldrop and Athletics Director Joel Erdmann released a statement saying they were "disappointed by this setback," but also inspired by those who had shown support. They were appreciative of Stimpson's effort, they said, and thanked the council members who voted in favor of the proposal.

"USA's leadership is exploring all possible avenues of funding for the stadium, and we anticipate that we will continue to generate interest in the stadium among individuals and private organizations," said the statement from Waldrop and Erdmann. "The University is continuing with site preparation for the stadium, so that we will be ready to move forward with construction when we are able to identify the needed sources of funding support. We are committed to building an on-campus stadium for the Jaguars, and we will continue to keep the University community informed when we have additional news to share."

USA expects the on-campus stadium to cost between $70 million and $80 million. It had asked the city to commit to giving it $10 million over the next 20 years, to help with payments on the construction debt. The deal also provided that when the new stadium became operational and USA moved its games out of city-owned Ladd-Peebles Stadium, it would give the city $2.5 million to help repurpose Ladd. (USA also approached the Mobile County Commission, which opted to wait and see what the city did before considering a contribution of its own.)

Stimpson had pitched it as a money-saving proposition: For $10 million, the city would get access to a brand-new stadium surrounded by college-campus amenities, and over the same 20-year period it would escape $33 million in maintenance expenses for Ladd.

What's yalls thoughts on the "No" vote?

As much as I think that hosting bowl games out on a college campus in West Mobile is a terrible idea, I think the City had no choice but to vote "Yes". In an ideal world, I think the City/County should have been making plans for years now at all of their large facilities and found a dedicated revenue source for Ladd. Maybe have a developer tear down the Civic Center, build a new minor league ballpark as an anchor for new residential and retail, have the developer pay a yearly land lease there, and have that fund Ladd? Also, sell or lease the Hank Aaron land to a developer and use those funds for Ladd as well?

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:18 AM

Guys, this thread could really use a bump. Can't think of a better way to do so than to mention that something that we've been waiting decades for has finally happened................

DOWNTOWN IS GETTING A GROCERY STORE!!!

Quote:

Downtown Mobile development includes new Greer’s grocery

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2019/...s-grocery.html

Updated Mar 14, 2:46 PM; Posted Mar 14, 10:45 AM
By Lawrence Specker | lspecker@al.com

Yet another major development on Mobile’s fast-growing St. Louis Street corridor will include a grocery market tailor-made to serve an anticipated downtown residential boom, courtesy of Greer’s.

According to information provided by Lafayette Land Co., the project named St. Louis Street Place will redevelop property on three corners of the intersection of St. Louis and Jackson streets. That's three blocks north of Cathedral Square and two blocks west of the massive new federal courthouse on St. Joseph Street.

Plans call for St. Louis Street Place to include "29 upscale apartments with balconies overlooking St. Louis and Jackson Streets, 8,000 square feet of retail including an upscale restaurant site, and 5,400 square feet of upscale office space in a fully restored 1860 office building." It'll also be anchored by a new Greer's grocery "specifically designed for the downtown market and [which] will feature a wonderful experience with organic foods, open area design, upgraded technology, fresh produce, [and] a deli and bakery with glassed in and outdoor seating."

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:36 PM

Mobile’s long-awaited “Brewery Boom” is underway!

Mobile now has THREE local microbreweries and/or brewpubs open to enjoy…with TWO MORE under construction!! The Port City will soon be known as the Porter City! LOL

Serda Brewing on Government Street (Thanks for being the vanguard of the revival, guys!).

The regular beers all seem to have fishing themes. The building is a masterpiece of adaptive reuse, having turned a former tire shop into a refreshingly “Pacific Northwest” ambiance with indoor/outdoor seating, tv screens for watching games, and a food truck area. An upscale-casual vibe

Haint Blue Brewing on Canal Street

The beers rotate by batch and they have a unique no-tipping policy. The Crystal Ice House building has a mural on the main room wall, a bottle tree and skyline view in the outdoor seating area, church pews indoors, and a hilarious way to distinguish the restrooms (See the mystery for yourselves !). There are no tv screens (to promote conversation), but there is a piano anyone can play. A Bohemian creative vibe

Iron Hand Brewing on State Street

In a former church with pew seating (A recurrent theme in our breweries?) and food service inside. Honors one of Mobile’s colonial founders Henri de Tonti with a impressive portrait on the wall. A classy and cozy vibe

Coming soon, both on Saint Louis Street:

Old Majestic Brewing (in a historic cotton warehouse relocated from the Mississippi Delta), behind the Cheese Cottage

Braided River Brewery (in the historic Wheeler Building, a former Automotive Alley dealership)

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 6:26 PM

Here's some more photo updates. Most of the visible activity downtown is along or around St. Louis Street.

Meridian at the Port (Water Street):

Site of the planned Greer's Grocery Store, on St. Louis:

Old Majestic Brewery, on St. Louis:

Braided River Brewery, inside the Wheeler Lofts, on St. Louis:

Innovation PortAL, a 30,000 sqft business incubator center, funding by a myriad of public funds, also on St. Louis:

Nova, a new coffee shop on St. Anthony:

[

A general view of St. Louis Street, which has a lot of newer streetscape improvements like lighting, on-street parking, and wider sidewalks:

Does anyone know where this project stands?

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:08 AM

Exciting to see this process moving along. It appears one of the finalists is proposing to keep the existing Civic Center structures in place for continued use for Mardi Gras balls. The remaining space and parking lot would be developed as some type of mixed-use entertainment district. The article references Kentucky Live! in Louisville, but another analogy could be something like The Wharf in Orange Beach, but in a more urban context.

I think a proposal like that could be a real win-win. The existing buildings are just too perfect for Krewe's balls, with the Arena used as space for the tableus/dance areas, and then all of the rooms in the Expo Hall for food and socializing. But outside of that, the size, amenities, and layout of the existing buildings are too out of date to be a legit entertainment venue. The key will be having a good promoter that can book solid events and maintain relationships in the industry. That was not the case at the Civic Center in the past, which is what damaged its reputation permanently, and acted as its death nail several decades ago.

Quote:

Cordish Companies, Stirling Properties finalists for Mobile Civic Center redevelopment

Updated Jun 11, 2019; Posted Jun 11, 2019
By John Sharp | jsharp@al.com

Baltimore-based Cordish Company and Covington, La.-based Stirling Properties are the two finalists among the teams seeking to redevelop the 22-acre Mobile Civic Center property, Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson said Tuesday.

The mayor said one of the teams could be announced next month as the winning team for the project.

“It will come down to choosing one of those and we’ll reveal it to the public and go from there,” said Stimpson.

The mayor’s announcement comes about a week after he and several officials from Mobile including Councilmen John Williams and Fred Richardson visited the 4th Street Live! Entertainment district in downtown Louisville, Ky. The district is a Cordish property, developed in 2004 as a downtown revitalization effort of a former mall property.

“Part of what they are going to recommend on the Civic Center site is similar to 4th Street Live!” Stimpson said. “But it would be suitable to Mobile.”

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2019/...velopment.html

Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by Alxx611; Jun 22, 2019 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:21 PM

Thank you for the updates on Mobile! I love that city!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:48 AM

A few other general developments that I've been reading about. These are all pretty preliminary without a lot of details, but think we can be expecting to hear more details soon:

- Amtrak service returning as part of the rebooted Gulf Coast line, but Gov. Ivey doesn't seem to be committing any State funding.

- A large aerospace supplier expected to be announced soon as opening shop in Mobile, per reports from the Paris Air Show.

- Airbus announces a large order of approx (50) A220-300 planes with Delta, to be built in Mobile.

- With Mike Dow taking over the Gulfquest Museum recently, talks emerge again of ferry service to the Eastern Shore and beaches.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 10:42 AM

https://www.cityofmobile.org/uploads...lV47-15-19.pdf

Proposals for the Civic Center site. Cordish's proposal is my favorite. It includes another tower for downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast