HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
You have got to be kidding. It would be an abomination, and I would consider being a party to a law suit to stop it if this were ever a serious proposal.

Please disregard my remarks if you're joking, but I suspect you mean what you stated. I have yet to figure out your whole shtick...
Yes I was kidding

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:18 PM

This is a pretty cool thread. I'm from Vancouver, and although wa have road and transit fantasy threads that are sometimes used if a project is coming up, there is generally more formality to SSP Vancouver, though the discussions there are normally interesting and correctly conducted.

I'm interested in getting to know more about Atlanta, its larger size, different economy, and the things its known world-wide for, like the airport, Delta Air Lines, and The Center for Disease control.

It's always interesting to see how other folks do it in their respective cities.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:35 PM

1. Finish the Beltline. Finish what you start. And, to that end, let's move to #2....

2. Create a complete public transportation system that works. In other words, MARTA the way it was supposed to be. Nothing defines a city more than what happens on the ground. People living and interacting. A complete metro system that allows people to get to where they want to go.

3. Capping all or most of the connector. If Atlanta wants to be livable, it has to connect all of its neighborhoods. Personally, I like Olmsted's design of Central Park.

4. Perkin's and Will plan (as cited by GunnerJacket). This city can become extraordinary simply by making connections.

5. MMPT. Atlanta's roots are in transportation. This is a great idea, though I would make provisions for this to be the central depot for high-speed rail service to

Charlotte: with a line extending to the NE
Savannah: with a line extending to FL
Birmingham: with a line extending to NOLA and parts west
Chattanooga: with a line extending to Chicago

Building something like this can ensure that Atlanta remains a transportation hub for the USA, east of the Mississippi.

6. I don't care much about super talls. I care about how the city feels when I walk it. I want to interact with characters of all types. I want a city that embraces science, technology, business and especially arts.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
keep in mind i'm specifically talking about *tunnelling* the connector; not just capping it like others have mentioned. this way, a new street grid could be established where the connector was, and potentially could support high rise buildings on top.
I have always been a capping advocate, but I see that tunneling would allow for a grand boulevard to by established.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:42 PM

My grand idea is to get rid of the 75/85 connector to alleviate traffic. Run 75 and 85 along the outside of the city, 75 on the west, and 85 on the East. Use the newly found land to connect midtown, downtown, ga tech area, and Atlantic Station all together. I know... expensive and impossible...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLdev View Post
My grand idea is to get rid of the 75/85 connector to alleviate traffic. Run 75 and 85 along the outside of the city, 75 on the west, and 85 on the East. Use the newly found land to connect midtown, downtown, ga tech area, and Atlantic Station all together. I know... expensive and impossible...
i wonder if it would be possible reconfigure 85 and 75 on the northside as sort of a u-shaped highway that comes as far down as atlantic station and turns back north, leaving everything south of there open to redevelopment. this of course would have to be paired with transit.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i wonder if it would be possible reconfigure 85 and 75 on the northside as sort of a u-shaped highway that comes as far down as atlantic station and turns back north, leaving everything south of there open to redevelopment. this of course would have to be paired with transit.
About a decade ago this was the focus of the capstone project for a planning class at Tech. For the life of me, I can't find any record of it online, but I know Saporta wrote something about it at the time. There were some really good proposals that included replacing the connection between the split and downtown with 2 grand boulevards separated by a long linear park. Would love to be able to find those again.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 12:45 AM

Speaking of Atlanta Dreaming, this is the video for dreaming:

https://vimeo.com/kunalp/atlanta

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashatl View Post
speaking of atlanta dreaming, this is the video for dreaming:

https://vimeo.com/kunalp/atlanta
Super cool!!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 1:46 AM

Connectivity is what's missing. I haven't posted here in a while, but I lived in Atlanta for thirteen years. I love the place, but I've moved back to NYC since. Working in real estate here, I get to see what developers and buyers/renters/business owners are looking for.

There would be so much potential for development in Atlanta if it weren't for all the parking lots. I would never wish the density of Manhattan, or even Brooklyn, on the residents of ATL, but subdividing some of the parking lots would be a start. Every new development that goes up has a damn parking garage attached to it. They don't ALL need parking garages. The larger developments should follow the template of Glenwood Park and offer reasonable street parking.

Mandate the new developments to offer a pre-determined percentage of new retail space to locally owned street front conveniences. The combination of reduced parking and increased local convenience encourages pedestrian traffic.

I wouldn't go off of a pipe dream and expect heavy rail to magically appear overnight in abundance, but the streetcar should be extended to parts of the city where people actually live. At this point it seems like it's just for show. A couple new branches of streetcar/LR could work along Ponce de Leon/North Ave, Abernathy/Georgia Ave, Virginia Ave/10th St, Howell Mill, Moreland Ave, Piedmont, Lowery, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta