HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:29 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Toronto zoning and redevelopment

It took me a bit to figure out what to title this. Initially I was going to ask about any communities in Toronto which have mostly single family housing, that are quickly being torn down and replaced with higher density structures (the opposite of say the Annex for example). But looking at google maps I couldn't really identify any areas that way. It then struck me that even in and around subway stations such as along Bloor, there is very little "transit oriented development", no towers around every station.

Why is that? It really appears by a quick glance that high density development is restricted to areas near downtown, and isn't really happening across the neighborhoods of Toronto as a whole. Am I incorrect? Is the city reluctant to throw the city wide open to higher density development?

Would appreciate any comments which might shed some light on the way Toronto zoning works.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:34 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
It took me a bit to figure out what to title this. Initially I was going to ask about any communities in Toronto which have mostly single family housing, that are quickly being torn down and replaced with higher density structures (the opposite of say the Annex for example). But looking at google maps I couldn't really identify any areas that way. It then struck me that even in and around subway stations such as along Bloor, there is very little "transit oriented development", no towers around every station.

Why is that? It really appears by a quick glance that high density development is restricted to areas near downtown, and isn't really happening across the neighborhoods of Toronto as a whole. Am I incorrect? Is the city reluctant to throw the city wide open to higher density development?

Would appreciate any comments which might shed some light on the way Toronto zoning works.
Not entirely true. There are always proposals popping up for highrises around subway stations, especially in desirable neighbourhoods.

I would recommend you check out the City's "Avenues Study" http://www.toronto.ca/planning/midrisestudy.htm

It basically spells out streets that the City wants to see intensified, primarily in an orderly fashion with mid-rises as opposed to tower after tower after tower.

Flickr®

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto