HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 3:06 AM

What Would You Do To Make Atlanta A Better Place???

I'm starting a big Idea and just trying to see what the PEOPLE OF ATLANTA want to make our city a better place and presentable...Feel free to use this thread, Thanks!!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 7:23 PM

Seems redundant given the "Atl dreaming thread," but if you're meaning non-architectural items...

- A greater pride of place (People wanting to be here)
- A cultural hook or identity (Something outsiders associate with ATL, in a good way)
- A nationally recognized event
- Stronger intown neighborhoods and, especially, good schools

I also wish we had a University of Atlanta comparable in pedigree to, say, UoPitt, NYU, etc. I'd like to see Ga State split into two, giving over the graduate oriented programs to UofAtl while the urban commuter programs revert to something else. Then make Ga Southern or MGSU into Ga State.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 10:13 PM

The relocation of Cobb county to Alabama.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerjacket View Post
Seems redundant given the "Atl dreaming thread," but if you're meaning non-architectural items...

- A greater pride of place (People wanting to be here)
- A cultural hook or identity (Something outsiders associate with ATL, in a good way)
- A nationally recognized event
- Stronger intown neighborhoods and, especially, good schools

I also wish we had a University of Atlanta comparable in pedigree to, say, UoPitt, NYU, etc. I'd like to see Ga State split into two, giving over the graduate oriented programs to UofAtl while the urban commuter programs revert to something else. Then make Ga Southern or MGSU into Ga State.
It's obviously an opinion, but I believe we have all (or at least most) of what you listed.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
The relocation of Cobb county to Alabama.
Why Cobb? It's certainly one of the more wealthy counties going and both Marietta and Vinings are attractive communities. Too suburban but not as snooty as the Gwinnetians, I'd say.

Though this does bring to mind something highlighted during the first Snowpocalypse of the year - Far too many counties in this state. Almost 3x the number as New York. I would love to see the number in GA cut in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
It's obviously an opinion, but I believe we have all (or at least most) of what you listed.
Atlanta has those things but arguably to a much lighter degree than other comparable places. New Orleans is Mardy Gras, Cajun culture and the French Quarter. Dallas is "Big D" and everything Texas, Miami has South Beach, Little Havana and the cruise ports. Atlanta, meanwhile, is not known as much for its culture or as a destination, as embodied by the whole "Atlanta is a lousy sports town!" debate. In other words, there isn't anything that we're so passionate about that it resonates with the nation. (Except our desire to name streets Peachtree!)

Doesn't mean ATL doesn't have anything or that not having such a reputation is bad, but it would be nice to have something more to rally around and to make the city unique. Based on my travels Atlanta is an enigma to folks elsewhere, neither bad nor great.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Why Cobb? It's certainly one of the more wealthy counties going and both Marietta and Vinings are attractive communities. Too suburban but not as snooty as the Gwinnetians, I'd say.

Though this does bring to mind something highlighted during the first Snowpocalypse of the year - Far too many counties in this state. Almost 3x the number as New York. I would love to see the number in GA cut in half.

Atlanta has those things but arguably to a much lighter degree than other comparable places. New Orleans is Mardy Gras, Cajun culture and the French Quarter. Dallas is "Big D" and everything Texas, Miami has South Beach, Little Havana and the cruise ports. Atlanta, meanwhile, is not known as much for its culture or as a destination, as embodied by the whole "Atlanta is a lousy sports town!" debate. In other words, there isn't anything that we're so passionate about that it resonates with the nation. (Except our desire to name streets Peachtree!)

Doesn't mean ATL doesn't have anything or that not having such a reputation is bad, but it would be nice to have something more to rally around and to make the city unique. Based on my travels Atlanta is an enigma to folks elsewhere, neither bad nor great.
Based on my travels (which have been pretty extensive) the opposite has been true...people love Atlanta and instantly recognize it. Our culture and history is very deep and well-known...it may not be on par with New Orleans (not much in the U.S. is) but I certainly wouldn't place Dallas or Miami ahead of Atlanta culturally. Ours is different but just as valid and beautiful. I think you sell Atlanta short, but that is just a difference of opinion. I'm proud of our city and it's history/culture. We can always add to it of course, but I don't see any reason to pine for what other cities have.

So we disagree. I'm a history buff and love different cultural experiences, but that in no way devalues what I have here in Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:58 PM

A better Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
I'm starting a big Idea and just trying to see what the PEOPLE OF ATLANTA want to make our city a better place and presentable...Feel free to use this thread, Thanks!!!
• Atlanta's young for its size. Let it grow up and find its own way.
• Clear pathways for its smothered streams and creeks.
• Enjoy the jewel that we have and gripe less.
• Give thebigATL his/hers own podcast.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E Neuman View Post
• Atlanta's young for its size. Let it grow up and find its own way.
Enjoy the jewel that we have and gripe less.
• Give thebigATL his/hers own podcast.
Yes!

I hate the way our small waterways are abused...set them free!

thebigATL for mayor!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:01 PM

Ahaha, Mayor of the threads or the city (you guys got to be joking) LOL

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:08 PM

I totally agree with the water ways and they should extend these waterways/pathways to the heart of the city to end it with a huge lake...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred E Neuman View Post
+1. Big time.

Quote:
Based on my travels (which have been pretty extensive) the opposite has been true...people love Atlanta and instantly recognize it. Our culture and history is very deep and well-known...it may not be on par with New Orleans (not much in the U.S. is) but I certainly wouldn't place Dallas or Miami ahead of Atlanta culturally. Ours is different but just as valid and beautiful. I think you sell Atlanta short, but that is just a difference of opinion. I'm proud of our city and it's history/culture. We can always add to it of course, but I don't see any reason to pine for what other cities have.

So we disagree. I'm a history buff and love different cultural experiences, but that in no way devalues what I have here in Atlanta.
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I love the city which is why I'm still nearby. And much of what I feel is based upon the level of praise I want it to receive. Too many people with opinions heldover from the days when ATL was known mostly for strip clubs and shooping malls, or as one pundit put it "a glorified office park."

Having grown up in the metro area and pursuing architecture and city planning based on seeing the changes of the 70's, 80's and 90's I get irked when people talk about dynamic and great urban places in the US but don't feel ATL deserves the nod. But at the same time I understand their points because we lack a Grant Park, or a Puget Sound, or some other great space that serves as the iconic image for a large city. Especially as this relates to casual tourism, an area in which I think there's great room for improvement. I would love more and higher grades of museums and other attractions, something that moves the cultural needle closer to a San Fran or Philly as opposed to Indianapolis or Charlotte.

So I'm not trying to sell Atlanta short, I'm simply someone constantly dreaming of even bigger and better for the city.

Cheers.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 9:54 PM

My boss lives in San Diego, and was recently here for her first ever visit.

She absolutely freaked out at Atlanta, and called it the most charming big city she had ever been to in the U.S.

In order the things she loved the most were the trees, the modern architecture, all the brick and the friendly people.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I hate the way our small waterways are abused...set them free!
I've been impressed with the freeing of Clear Creek along the Beltline in the north section of Piedmont Park.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
+1. Big time.

Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I love the city which is why I'm still nearby. And much of what I feel is based upon the level of praise I want it to receive. Too many people with opinions heldover from the days when ATL was known mostly for strip clubs and shooping malls, or as one pundit put it "a glorified office park."

Having grown up in the metro area and pursuing architecture and city planning based on seeing the changes of the 70's, 80's and 90's I get irked when people talk about dynamic and great urban places in the US but don't feel ATL deserves the nod. But at the same time I understand their points because we lack a Grant Park, or a Puget Sound, or some other great space that serves as the iconic image for a large city. Especially as this relates to casual tourism, an area in which I think there's great room for improvement. I would love more and higher grades of museums and other attractions, something that moves the cultural needle closer to a San Fran or Philly as opposed to Indianapolis or Charlotte.

So I'm not trying to sell Atlanta short, I'm simply someone constantly dreaming of even bigger and better for the city.

Cheers.
I've found that most of the negative images of Atlanta come from people on these forums. I have never heard anyone call Atlanta a "glorified office park" anywhere but online. We are adding 2 new museums at the moment...

We can obviously improve, but there is A LOT here that is often overlooked or under appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 1:41 AM

Great Opinion!!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta