HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 12:14 AM

I flew Delta from HSV to ATL two years ago and it wasn't bad. A 35 minute flight on a 737 or MD-80 isn't exactly one that you can judge as really good or really bad.

But, I will admit that the last three times members of my family have flown Delta to Atlanta or from Atlanta, we had lost baggage each time.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 12:47 AM

I can't think of Atlanta's airport without thinking about the episdoe of Futurama with the 'Lost City of Atlanta'

Fry: 'Atlanta, I thought that was just a Delta hub' LOL

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 2:00 AM

Just a few things:

American Airlines is the world's largest / busiest airline, Delta is 2nd.

Chicago O'Hare is the United States Busiest International Flights Airport. Almost three times as many international flights than ATL.

[[What other airport has trains in them?]]

Cincinnati
Dallas/Fort Worth
Minneapolis
Denver
San Francisco
Orlando
St. Louis
Seattle
Chicago O'Hare

Airports with runways above/below auto highways:

Chicago Ohare (runway cross over - below is interstate)
St. Louis (runways above auto highway in tunnel below)
Atlanta (runways above auto highway in tunnel below)

--any others?--

The biggest "scary thing" about ATL is the fact that almost 85 percent of all Delta operations run out of this airport. If Delta should close or have major cuts and/or an acquisition/merge take place --- it could be the end of ATL's dominance. ATL airport knows this and in recent years has been trying to add new carriers and flights and diversify the airports carriers. I for one, don't think Delta has a strong future.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 2:55 AM

^American and especially United would not hesitate to fill in the Atlanta market in a few years. The southeast is one part of the country they are lacking in and O'hare can only be expanded so much, even with its modernization plan underway (which is mainly to fix its runway layout).

And also, JFK is the biggest international gateway in the US, not O'hare. In fact, O'hare is only four behind LAX and MIA.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 3:52 AM

There was a comment that only 10% of ATL's traffic is local. That is incorrect. In fact, it is closer to 45% local traffic. That means almost 40M local passengers used ATL in '05, still more than many single airport operations in the US (without the connecting traffic factor). I've read that ATL is either the 3rd or 4th busiest rental car market in the US, indicating a high level of local visitor traffic. The development of the long-awaited Consolidated Rental Car facility is now underway to accommodate growth in rental car business.

The amount of air service in ATL is one thing that continues to fuel the growth of the Metro Area, and that leads to more local demand for commercial service. With the 5th runway opening in just a few weeks, it will become even more efficient, and there are plans to build bypass taxiways around the west end of both inner runways (8R & 9L) so that planes landing on the outer runways don't have to wait to cross. The thing that impresses me most is how much has been packed into that relatively small amount of acreage. ATL has grown very little in land while other major airports are vastly larger and have more flexibility. Still, ATL is tops in both aircraft operations and passengers, and unless DL goes belly up, that will not change anytime soon. It may not be the most modern or attractive airport, but it is incredibly efficient. And if anyone has read the recent articles speaking on the extensive terminal renovation and expansion projects to be completed this decade, I'd say these are clear indicators of a goal to improve the look and feel of the most heavily used terminal facility in the World.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Delta Airlines = The uncomfortable served the inedible by the indifferent. I'll attempt to elaborate, but it will be hard. There's nothing left to judge-no food, no snacks, no customer service, no pillows, no movies, no audio, no nothing. What's next, no seats? - wait, better not give them any ideas.
Hmmm....I've flown DL probably 100 times and never once had lost luggage (prob check half the time). Sounds like you're just one of those unlucky ones. Also, not sure where you're getting your info on food/snacks as I was just on a flight last week and they served snacks twice. No audio? You must be deaf. No video? Blind. Customer Service? I am constantly greeted by CS staff (DL empl) and occasionally provided with vouchers for significant inconveniences.

Sounds like there's more to this hatred than you're letting on. I am very sorry you have to use an airline you hate so much but some of your statements are borderline defamation.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 7:19 AM
Trendy.

The last time I flew Delta was in November from BUF-BNA. I was in coach on the BUF-ATL leg and recieved no beverage service whatsoever. On the ATL-BNA segment, I was in first class, so I received service, though coach did not.

No audio or video either, though it was just an MD-88.

Customer service was lackluster, with one flight attendant telling me she was quitting once the plane landed back in ATL after turning around in BNA. It's sad to see such a great airline in shambles

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:48 AM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain
There was a comment that only 10% of ATL's traffic is local. That is incorrect. In fact, it is closer to 45% local traffic. That means almost 40M local passengers used ATL in '05, still more than many single airport operations in the US (without the connecting traffic factor). I've read that ATL is either the 3rd or 4th busiest rental car market in the US, indicating a high level of local visitor traffic. The development of the long-awaited Consolidated Rental Car facility is now underway to accommodate growth in rental car business.

The amount of air service in ATL is one thing that continues to fuel the growth of the Metro Area, and that leads to more local demand for commercial service. With the 5th runway opening in just a few weeks, it will become even more efficient, and there are plans to build bypass taxiways around the west end of both inner runways (8R & 9L) so that planes landing on the outer runways don't have to wait to cross. The thing that impresses me most is how much has been packed into that relatively small amount of acreage. ATL has grown very little in land while other major airports are vastly larger and have more flexibility. Still, ATL is tops in both aircraft operations and passengers, and unless DL goes belly up, that will not change anytime soon. It may not be the most modern or attractive airport, but it is incredibly efficient. And if anyone has read the recent articles speaking on the extensive terminal renovation and expansion projects to be completed this decade, I'd say these are clear indicators of a goal to improve the look and feel of the most heavily used terminal facility in the World.
Hey Bryant - Hope you're doing well out there. Thanks for the sensible and well-informed post. I get so tired of people claiming that ATL is 85% connecting pax, when those of us in the industry know it simply isn't true.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 2:39 PM

atlantaguy, I'm doing very well, thanks..making my move from Palm Springs to The Motor City right now, actually..big changes ahead for me, on many levels! I stayed in Downtown Kansas City last night, and was impressed with some of the city's districts I saw during a driving tour given by a local friend. Hope you're doing well also..drop me a note sometime and let me know what's up with you! Thanks...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 2:40 PM
Honored Member

Good to see a post from you, Bryant! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:20 PM
BANNED

but then if it sucks sooo bad

why is it the second largest carrier in the world?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 2:15 AM
Trendy.

Why is George Bush President?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 3:18 AM
BANNED

actually

u know its different...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
Why is George Bush President?
Sadly, the electors felt he was the best this country had to offer at the time of the elections. I am thankful that Kerry did NOT win, but geez, can't this country get better political leadership?

Unfortunately, most of the top leaders in this country go into industry, not politics. Maybe things will have to get a lot worse before that changes.

Back to the airport, I don't think anyone can blame ATL for capitalizing on the opportunities before it to build towards what it is today. I am glad they are making moves to diversify because it's just good business.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 4:26 PM
BANNED

yeah

George Bush was better than Kerry only because Kerry wanted gay marriage and abortion among others...But I thought that neither Bush or Kerry deserved it...I think they both sucked...I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone..

Anyways yeah like nativeatlantan is right...They are making lots of business....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 6:39 PM

Busiest airport?

Why do fans of ATL and ORD fight endlessly over whether which airport is the busiest? I've lived in both cities and that "honor" is more a badge of shame. It means endless delays, traffic nightmares, and overall headaches.

There should be fights over which airport has the best ontime performances in my opinion.

Last edited by trvlr70; Apr 3, 2006 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 7:30 PM
aka Nick in Atlanta

Having Hartsfield-Jackson in metro Atlanta is one of the main reasons that Atlanta has become a great city. I personally don't care if O'Hare has a few thousand more takeoffs and landings a year and is technically the most active airport. What I care about is that Delta Airlines has the largest hub in the world at ATL and offers flights all over the Southeast, the US and to more and more places all over the world. (Nonstop service to Duesseldorf, Germany begins on Monday, April 3 and nonstop service to Tel Aviv, Israel began in the end of March, with lots more coming!) I think that in ten years Delta's management will be openly admitting that it took a close call with death (chapter 11) to get Delta updated to compete in the 21st century.

I also care that AirTran has its hub in ATL and I hope they will move their headquarters to metro Atlanta up from Orlando. After all 5000 of their 7000 employees work in Georgia.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 9:42 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Where else can you fly non-stop to Venice Italy? The Delta hub (and domestically, Airtran hub) are a great boon to the people of Georgia.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 10:12 PM
BANNED

yeah

And yeah hartsfield jackson is the busiest airport in the world and the one with the most take offs and landings in the world...Kind of weird though that it isn't in a city like chicago or los angeles or miami or new york city...

Last edited by Panamaboy9016; Apr 2, 2006 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaboy9016
And yeah hartsfield jackson is the busiest airport in the world and the one with the most take offs and landings in the world...Kind of weird though that it is in a city like chicago or los angeles or miami or new york city...
One thing people on here aren't taking into account, is that Chicago and New York have two airports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta