HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

That's an interesting redo for the areas in front of Cobo, though, I'm still kind of confused of the street configuration in that area to begin with, and I'm not sure what is street and what is a pedestrian plaza in that rendering. I can't tell from that rendering exactly how they cut it off from Atwater, because the rendering doesn't seem to go to Civic Center Drive (the connection to Atwater).

Glad to see they are going to redo facade - if even minimially - for the American Lightweight and Modern Metals Manufacturing Innovation Institute. I really thought they were just going to clean-up the outside and move in. This is kitty-corner (or maybe just acorss the street, even) from the Quicken Tech Center going up, right?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
That's an interesting redo for the areas in front of Cobo, though, I'm still kind of confused of the street configuration in that area to begin with, and I'm not sure what is street and what is a pedestrian plaza in that rendering. I can't tell from that rendering exactly how they cut it off from Atwater, because the rendering doesn't seem to go to Civic Center Drive (the connection to Atwater).
It's not a pedestrian plaza, specifically. It's a decorative driveway that has bollards (traffic poles) instead of curbs. At least that's what it looks like. Random example:

http://streets.mn/2014/07/03/free-pa...field-station/

The grassy area on the left of the rendering is where Civic Center Drive would be. Coming from Atwater, Civic Center Drive will be cutoff to make a cul-de-sac in front of the UAW Ford building. At least, that's how it's described on the Cobo website.

Quote:
Glad to see they are going to redo facade - if even minimially - for the American Lightweight and Modern Metals Manufacturing Innovation Institute. I really thought they were just going to clean-up the outside and move in. This is kitty-corner (or maybe just acorss the street, even) from the Quicken Tech Center going up, right?
Yep, yep. Speaking of the cleaning up part, most of that was done by Mayor Duggan to entice ALMMII to move into Detroit after word got out that a Canton deal fell apart. So you can thank Duggan for stepping up to the plate and seizing an opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:53 PM

Kind off topic, but the knock against Duggan has always been that he's the consummate county insider, and I say fine to that. For a lot of folks, that's a turn-off, but so long as the experience isn't coupled with corruption and/or incompetence, I couldn't care less. And, really, it's often an asset. I like that he's using his decades-worth of contacts to move the city forward. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I was for the guy from the beginning.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Two Modern, Mixed-Use Buildings Close to Landing in Midtown

4145 Cass

441 Willis

Both of the 6,000-square-foot buildings will contain a retail space on the ground floor, with just four residential units up above. In an email to Curbed Detroit, Lars Graebner of VolumeOne Studios said that the units will be "comfortable, spacious and modern," with "ample light and open, flexible floor plans." Each unit will contain about 1,000 square feet.

According to Lars, the design "consciously omitted exuberant or expensive details in order to maximize the building's efficiency, the quality of construction, and longevity." Basically, these are high-end structures built to last. The renderings make the facade look like its covered in wallpaper from Ikea, but plans call for a baked, grey-colored brick. The result will be a classy, natural-looking texture.

Construction on such a small scale is expensive, and its appearance in Midtown is encouraging. According to Lars, the goal is to keep the cost of each building around $750K.
http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...in-midtown.php

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 8:34 PM
alive and kickin'

I really like how this project fills in the Willis street wall. The Cass building is less successful and looks really awkward in the middle of all of that parking. That said, I really can't complain. Now let's fill in some more parking lots.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 10:33 PM

Crain is speculating on probable development to occur on the parking lot that's behind the Detroit Club and Free Press building on Fort and Cass. What's interesting is that the Detroit Club and the parking lot (which also has underground spaces but don't seem to be used) are up for auction (both by Uralli) but the parking lot is currently at a higher bid than the Detroit Club.

As of this post, the parking lot and Detroit Club are at $2 million and $1.2 million respectively. That seems like a lot for a small parking lot and probably why Crain is speculating on it.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-possibilities

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:25 AM

I like these clean, simple infill projects, particularly juxtaposed against the surrounding historic neighborhoods. It'd be really great to see this stuff outside the core. Since it's already stripped down, you could put this stuff up just about anywhere in the city, really, and maybe breath some life back into some sleepy, low-income areas.

The parking lot story is interesting. Like they said, someone could sit on this for a few years since it's produces quite a bit of revenue, but ultimately, you could really make quite a bit more off the site with an improvement.

Costar

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:47 PM

Update on Gameday Detroit. Nice little project that does a good job of recreating Olympia.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ings-arena.php

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:52 PM

Quote:
The parking lot story is interesting. Like they said, someone could sit on this for a few years since it's produces quite a bit of revenue, but ultimately, you could really make quite a bit more off the site with an improvement.

Costar
After the auction was done today, the final price on the Detroit Club building and parking lot behind it were $2.9 million and $4.9 million dollars respectively.

In a previous Crain article, they stated that the parking lot usually generates $600,000 annually. The potential buyer of the parking lot wouldn't make their money back for at least several years. I suspect it most definitely will be developed by then.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...d-7-8m-in-bids

Old Posted Today, 7:15 AM

I think that the parking lot is pulling in bids so much higher than the actual building is very telling. The City Club building is not looking long for this world.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations