HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Now I promise this one is going to be tougher - drop a link to the Google Maps location where you think this tunnel might be.

Please note it's not a sewer line/tunnel or anything like that - it's completely accessible by someone on foot and it will be wet/soggy/muddy at certain times of the year just by the nature of where it's located although I've never seen water actually flowing through it (just pooling). Cliff swallows also build their nests inside of this tunnel which is about 110 meters in length...

Under Macleod Trail at Glenmore.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:21 PM
Moran supreme

Under Macleod at Glenmore - that one's only about 41 meters long and is about 10 miles away from the tunnel I speak of.

It needs to be noted that the tunnel I speak of has filled up with sediment at it's one end meaning that most adults will have to stoop over at that end.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:53 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:58 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Under Macleod at Glenmore - that one's only about 41 meters long and is about 10 miles away from the tunnel I speak of.

It needs to be noted that the tunnel I speak of has filled up with sediment at it's one end meaning that most adults will have to stoop over at that end.
Nose Hill?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.10272.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.10737.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.11636.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:41 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Almost long enough but not the one I posted a picture of. The tunnel I speak of has probably been around since the early 70's - take a look at the picture I posted again, this tunnel is quite narrow and I can probably touch both sides with my arms outstretched. Water may run through it at times but it was never built for that purpose.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:47 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Note the construction of the tunnel in the picture I posted - not too many tunnels a person can walk through in Calgary are that narrow and not too many have sediment (muck and water at certain times of the year) in them all the time. This tunnel probably receives absolutely no loving from the city of Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:54 PM
Moran supreme

This tunnel is view-able on Google Streetview but it will take a very keen eye to spot it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:10 PM

I have no idea but love poking around Google Maps... can you give us a quadrant?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:12 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans canada View Post
i have no idea but love poking around google maps... Can you give us a quadrant?
Northeast.

Last edited by speedog; Feb 10, 2015 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:32 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
North east.
Under Memorial at Firestone park??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:36 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Under Memorial at Firestone park??
Nope. Haven't been in that one myself but suspect it's a tad bit wider then the one I've got you all looking for. Also, while it may be long enough it is technically in the Southeast quadrant.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:11 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
You found it - this would've originally been used as a cattle underpass under Deerfoot but now there's no more cattle there and it's just the occasional human, dog and probably coyotes that use this tunnel. I only knew it was there because I used to see cattle using it many, many years ago and we used it most recently as an access to the area to the west where we placed a Geocache.

Let me ask how you knew it was there or did you just go searching using Streetview?

Last edited by speedog; Feb 10, 2015 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:57 PM

I used your clues to narrow it down. Opened Google Earth Pro and drew 2 circles, you said 19km from one guess and 10 miles from another(nice try switching units, no fooling me!). Then you said NE, so that only left one spot where the 2 rings were close. Turns out my 10 mile ring landed exactly on the west side of the tunnel, and the 19km one was exactly on the east. I then streetview'd to confirm. Do I win a cookie?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:42 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
I used your clues to narrow it down. Opened Google Earth Pro and drew 2 circles, you said 19km from one guess and 10 miles from another(nice try switching units, no fooling me!). Then you said NE, so that only left one spot where the 2 rings were close. Turns out my 10 mile ring landed exactly on the west side of the tunnel, and the 19km one was exactly on the east. I then streetview'd to confirm. Do I win a cookie?
Can I assume that without those 2 clues that you'd still be guessing?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:51 PM

No, poor assumption. I would have given up completely at left the effort for someone more determined than me.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:41 AM

Nice find. I was just scrolling through Google Maps, didn't even think to map out the clues. Don't think I can do that on browser Maps anyway.

My best guesses would have been Memorial/Deerfoot or Memorial/Barlow.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:27 AM
Moran supreme

Well, I gave far too many clues in my last 'Where in Calgary' post above - this one will have far less assistance provided but the item in the picture should be enough to narrow down where in Calgary this gargoyle might be...

I may or may not swing by tomorrow with my DSLR to get a better picture - this is just a portion of a picture that I took with my Samsung S3. Looking at the Exif info isn't going to help you - I may be old but I still got enough smarts to remove hidden incriminating information. Quite viewable on Google Streetview but you'd have to be quite familiar with the right area to know where to find this gargoyle.

Post up your guesses.

Last edited by speedog; Feb 14, 2015 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:50 AM

Doh! Guess I shouldn't have told you my secrets, the clues were handy!

This church is on my way home when I'm not on the bus, so I thought I'd take a look on streetview. It certainly looks similar, so here is my guess;

http://goo.gl/maps/qNawA

6th st NW and 19th ave

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:57 AM
Moran supreme

Well Fuzz, you did good. Most people don't bother looking up when they're out and about but apparently you do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos