HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 2:37 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Does anyone have maps of Calgary ranging from 1978 to 1993?
I just happen to have taken some photos of a 1975 era map, crappy quality, but good enough to read the street names if you squint. I have newer stuff, but no time to dig out and photograph right now.

I think 1975 is a pretty interesting time - captures Calgary towards the beginning of an explosive period of growth.

Calgarymap NW Melton 1975ish by ferreth, on Flickr

Calgarymap SW Melton 1975ish by ferreth, on Flickr

Calgarymap SE Melton 1975ish by ferreth, on Flickr

Calgarymap NE Melton 1975ish by ferreth, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I just happen to have taken some photos of a 1975 era map, crappy quality, but good enough to read the street names if you squint. I have newer stuff, but no time to dig out and photograph right now.

I think 1975 is a pretty interesting time - captures Calgary towards the beginning of an explosive period of growth.

Awsome!

Deerfoot Tr only exists north of 16th Ave.
Midnapore townsite is still intact.
No new airport terminal.

lol

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:18 PM

I'll have to show that to my parents. 1975 was the year that they first came to Canada, so it is interesting to see a snapshot of how things looked when they arrived. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 5:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Awsome!

Deerfoot Tr only exists north of 16th Ave.
Midnapore townsite is still intact.
No new airport terminal.

lol
Also notice that Blackfoot continues past Southland almost to Anderson.

Also notice the Gulf and Imperial oil refineries.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 5:47 PM
Here and There

By kw5150 at 2011-10-13

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 6:54 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Edmonton trail is partially in its former configuration where it branches north east before McKnight, where 41st Ave is now (at one time it branched NE there, and met up with McKnight where deerfoot crosses McKnight)

Also the streets at Edm Trail and Memorial before being obliterated by the 4th ave flyover.

And the flyover from 9th ave se going NE over where Max Bell is merging with Barlow north... I wish that still existed actually.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:46 AM
IMHO

Thanks for stitching that KW. I'd never gotten around to it, but I had a sneaking suspicion that someone would be up to it here.

I kept this map as this reminds me of the City I knew as a kid. Look at the NE Properties - I remember going up 52nd St. reading the sign warning you that the whole area was under construction, so beware! It really was a massive construction area; seemed to be building going on everywhere.

Other differences of note:
- Blackfoot still turned into Inglewood at 17A St. - you can still see some of the old alignment on Google Earth, some of it has had new housing built.
- Highway 8 is it's old designation still - it was the road that went to Bowness, then across the Bow River and up to Highway 1A. There's a bit of trivia for you old timers!
- The strange bit SW of Barlow and 114th is a former WWII airstrip - it was used by the cops as a high speed driver training area. I know this as I was talking to another old timer who said they used to come over the the Westco Fertilizer plant NE of there and have lunch in their cafeteria. Btway, that building is being torn down this week - I'll post some photos of that.
- The CIL plant down there is roughly where the Douglas Glen shopping complex is now. There is a plaque commemorating lives lost in an industrial accident on the site, in the Sobey's on that shopping site.
- As someone else mentioned, Blackfoot extended south of Southland. It actually connected up to Anderson (perhaps not complete in '75?) A 2 lane road with a sign on it informing you that is was a temporary road until the freeway was built. It was always fun riding down that way and looking at the massive construction that was Deerfoot/Anderson/Bow Bottom being built in later years.
-In the same area, you'll not that getting to Parkland/Queensland was by Acadia road > Canyon Meadows - no Bow Bottom trail!
- Midnapore is shown the village it once was - I remember riding in that way coming back from fishing with my Dad, long line of trees along the highway, then you'd pass Midnapore and know you were getting close to town!
-Richmond Road (road to Bragg Creek) is shown in it's original alignment before it got moved to the Glenmore Alignment as the new Highway 8.
- In general, there is a lot of blank space close in to the city that gets filled in in the next 10 years. For instance, Memorial and 28th St. NE, all prairie when I was a kid, used to play out there in the dirt piles as they started building. Fonda/Radisson Heights is actually newer than a good part of the NE properties, as you can see here.

Also note the railway lines - this was probably one of the last maps to show the full CNR trackage and GTR trackage terminating at their respective inner city areas.

My area of Mayland heights (east side against Barlow) had not even been started building yet - that's how I know this map is at least no newer than '78. Can't recall how I pegged this at '75 - Think I was comparing it to some other maps.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 8:34 PM
Construction Enthusiast

^The house i'm sitting in right now is pretty much on the edge of town on that map. Now the edge of town is 5 miles (8km) north.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 11:27 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
^The house i'm sitting in right now is pretty much on the edge of town on that map. Now the edge of town is 5 miles (8km) north.
My house was 1 block from the edge of town in 1924, now the edge of town is 12 km north

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
Closed account

My house was 1.6km from the city limits when it was built in 1968, and now it is only 100 metres from the city limits.

wait... what?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 6:27 PM

I laugh remembering that when Dad built our house in Collingwood, he picked the district because 'it was only 15 minutes from downtown'.

When we sold the house last year after living there for 40 years, the couple who bought it were thrilled that 'it only took 35 minutes to get downtown'.

I think this was explained by the space-time relativity theories of Einstein, but the math is too complicated for me.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:40 PM
Closed account

Just found this proposed map of Calgary highways dating from 1963. It is a 20+ year forecast.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:11 AM
IMHO

Thanks for posting that.

I always thought McKnight-JLB was some patch up of changing transportation plans. It seems they planned it that way in the first place, other than what I presume would have been JLB continuing north making a T with McKnight, rather than the awkward turn it is now.

I also find it interesting that they were thinking of taking 36th St. NE and making it follow the CN ROW SW to 50th Ave, and connect it with Ogden that way. I could find that very useful these days.

Furthermore, it is interesting that despite all the intentions of putting a major E-W freeway along 16th, nothing ever came to fruition. Unfortunately, we are stuck with that now, no good E-W route on the north side of town to punch through the city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:48 AM
Closed account

You can read the article that went with that map here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...3884%2C4623564

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:50 PM

rundle was the newest in the far NE at a time when i just moved in. there it is just like it was when i was a boy. very cool.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 8:52 PM

they would bus us up 16th ave to go to school. also i rember the twisty road with the white and red road side post the went from forest lawn to bridgeland.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:34 PM
Closed account

A map of the city of Calgary, and the history of it's annexations of surrounding lands, showing how it grew over time.

A full hi-res PDF version is available here, where you can see WAY more detail and the orders for each annexation:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...ZEHAkZfNZjnVOA

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:48 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Also notice that Blackfoot continues past Southland almost to Anderson.

Also notice the Gulf and Imperial oil refineries.
Where are the gulf & imperial oil refineries? I can't see them on the map..

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Dark blue dots north of Ogden and beside Inglewood

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 5:50 PM
Here and There

wow, 1960 was a big year for Calgary in terms of annexation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos