HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:43 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Pretty sure my car will be on Streetview. I noticed these really strange poles sticking up in traffic, and sure enough, 2 of Google's contraptions were driving down Deerfoot right by me. I kept next to one of them for quite a while so here's hoping I can have my 15 nanoseconds of fame.

I wonder why they travel in pairs, and how many "shoots" they do of a given street. I can imagine wanting more than just a single shot (just in case), but I wonder how many is adequate to make sure they have good coverage.

For anyone who hasn't seen the cars, they have a 4-5' high post mounted on the roof, and that's what the camera is on. You really can't miss it.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Pretty sure my car will be on Streetview. I noticed these really strange poles sticking up in traffic, and sure enough, 2 of Google's contraptions were driving down Deerfoot right by me. I kept next to one of them for quite a while so here's hoping I can have my 15 nanoseconds of fame.

I wonder why they travel in pairs, and how many "shoots" they do of a given street. I can imagine wanting more than just a single shot (just in case), but I wonder how many is adequate to make sure they have good coverage.

For anyone who hasn't seen the cars, they have a 4-5' high post mounted on the roof, and that's what the camera is on. You really can't miss it.

If they were traveling in pairs they were probably headed to separate destinations. From what I understand they just drive down and video a street once, no need for multiple passes. The video is then chopped up into still photos.

Here's the Calgary company that originally had the deal with Google. Their demos are worth checking out. There's some real cool technology going on there.

http://www.immersivemedia.com/#demo0

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:16 AM

Best google street view shot ever!!!

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 6:53 PM

I'm heading out on a huge road trip this summer hitting Minneapolis,Milwaukee,Chicago,Cleveland and New York and this Google street view is awesome for planning the trip in detail I have found freeway ramps and looked at how certain approaches are done (right lane or left) to finding a parking garage close to one destination. Come to think of it I should just have my girl come over and we can do the whole trip from the computer

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:34 PM
dvdktn

i got my picture taken by a google car yesterday on ridge road while working

Last edited by DavidKuitunen; May 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 3:40 AM

I was caught on google street view today. The car drove in the opposite direction from me. (intersection of Manitoba highway 59 and the perimeter hwy around Winnipeg - Hwy 101)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 2:23 PM

Has everybody seen the new feature on Google Earth? All their previous satellite images are now available (back to Apr 2002 for Calgary) and you can switch between then and now (and anytime in between) to compare and contrast what's happened in 7 years.

Some of the interesting things for me were that there were still a few houses in Victoria Park back then. I also never realised a whole load of houses were taken out when Glenmore Trail was upgraded. It's also crazy to see what was there before they built the Evergreen suburb.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 1:05 AM
IMHO

Updated list of places Google is driving in Canada for Street View, from their Canadian FAQ:

Quote:
Province City / Ville

Alberta Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge

British Columbia Abbotsford, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria

Manitoba Winnipeg

New Brunswick Moncton, Saint John

Nova Scotia Halifax

Ontario Barrie, Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Oshawa, Ottawa, St. Catharines-Niagara, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Windsor

Prince Edward Island Charlottetown

Quebec Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières

Saskatchewan Regina, Saskatoon
I am sooo looking forward to that release, being delayed by the Gov't ethics committee, according to this CBC article.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:38 PM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch police have arrested twin brothers on suspicion of robbery after their alleged victim spotted a picture of them following him on Google's Street View map application, a spokesman said Friday.

Paul Heidanus, a police spokesman in the town of Groningen, said he believed it was the first time Street View images had been used in a Dutch criminal investigation.

"For us, it is unique," he said.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

A 14-year-old boy told police last September he had been robbed of euro165 ($230) and his cell phone after two men dragged him off his bicycle in Groningen,110 miles northeast of the capital, Amsterdam.

The victim called again in March after seeing an image of himself and two men he believed were his attackers on Street View, police said in a statement.

Heidanus said prosecutors sent a formal request to Google for the original photo because people's faces are blurred on Street View.

"You must tell Google clearly why you want them," Heidanus said of the photo request. In this case, "the photo could provide an important contribution to solving a crime."

The company complied, and a robbery squad detective immediately recognized one of the twins.

Prosecutors will now decide whether to charge the suspects, whose identities were not released.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31448232...h_and_gadgets/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 3:48 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Province City / Ville

Alberta Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge

British Columbia Abbotsford, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria

Manitoba Winnipeg

New Brunswick Moncton, Saint John

Nova Scotia Halifax

Ontario Barrie, Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Oshawa, Ottawa, St. Catharines-Niagara, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Windsor

Prince Edward Island Charlottetown

Quebec Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières

Saskatchewan Regina, Saskatoon
Notice which is the only province left out. A##%!les !

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:56 PM

I was sitting on the patio at Tazza the other day and the google street view car went by three different times. East to west, west to east and north to south. Downside, I was sitting with a fat chick.

Last couple of days, there's been a street view car parked over night on the driveway of a house on Spiller road. They take the decals off and cover the camera with a custom made tarp, but it's pretty obvious what it is. If it's there tonight I'll try and get a snap or two.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Last couple of days, there's been a street view car parked over night on the driveway of a house on Spiller road. They take the decals off and cover the camera with a custom made tarp, but it's pretty obvious what it is. If it's there tonight I'll try and get a snap or two.
I saw it there on Saturday evening.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:43 PM

There was a case, possibly in the U.S. where a man was attacked by his neighbour's dog and he took his neighbour to court. The neighbour claimed in court that he didn't own his dog on the day of the attack.

The man brought forth a google streetview image that showed the neighbour on his front lawn with the dog on a specific day that was before the attack.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 2:02 AM
IMHO

Updated list of places Google is driving

---
Alberta
Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge
British Columbia
Abbotsford, Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria
Manitoba
Winnipeg
New Brunswick
Moncton, Saint John
Newfoundland and Labrador
St. John's
Northwest Territories
Yellowknife
Nova Scotia
Cape Breton, Halifax
Ontario
Barrie, Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener, London, Oshawa, Ottawa, Peterborough, St. Catharines-Niagara, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Windsor
Prince Edward Island
Charlottetown
Quebec
Montreal, Quebec City, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières
Saskatchewan
Regina, Saskatoon
Yukon Territory
Whitehorse

from http://maps.google.ca/help/maps/streetview/faq.html#q8

Also

Quote:
Please note that this schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions or technical and operational reasons. Smaller cities may be driven by Street View vehicles during transit and/or when neighboring the cities mentioned above. This list will be updated on a regular basis
Cool that they even are going to the NWT and the Yukon now. I'm willing to be patient if the coverage is going to be extensive enough - wondering if the "during transit" thing will mean they will cover highways in between cities?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 6:39 AM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 4:23 PM

^free hotdog's what?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:23 PM

un-manned hotdog stand, serve yourself

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:30 PM

^Yeah I know. I was poking fun at the grammar. Kind of douchey of me.

I bet you that flag person on the sign would beat you down if you tried to take one of the hot dogs though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:55 AM
IMHO

Google Streeview update for Canada

Looks like new Cities went up for Streetview Canada. Offhand I see added:

Edmonton
Saskatoon
Kitchener
Sudbury
London
Hamilton
St. Johns
and more!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 6:26 PM

Google Earth now offers 3-D street view of NYC
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos