HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 4:45 PM
BANNED

This explains all the details about how this project made it this far with so little publicity or any knowledge of the design until recently. And yet, she is still complaining about something. Not that I'm surprised. If things are zoned properly and a developer follows the rules they SHOULD be able to start building quickly- even if that means every single project doesn't meet Inga's standards.

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/p...s&id=367581671

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
This explains all the details about how this project made it this far with so little publicity or any knowledge of the design until recently. And yet, she is still complaining about something. Not that I'm surprised. If things are zoned properly and a developer follows the rules they SHOULD be able to start building quickly- even if that means every single project doesn't meet Inga's standards.

What exactly is she complaining about? Everything in that article was positive and complementary, from the way they went about it all the way to the design.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
What exactly is she complaining about? Everything in that article was positive and complementary, from the way they went about it all the way to the design.
Uh oh. It's Inga time. Actually, I think there's an app for that. 1487 might want to check GooglePlay.

For the sake of needless provocation, let me just point out that the Under Armour planned for the first floor has been nixed in favor of . . . a Wendy's. Pearl feels such an amenity will contribute greatly to the diverse appeal of this neighborhood in which they are investing so heavily. The teen element adds un certain je ne sais quoi that will likely boost luxury apartment rents. Plus there's social justice to think about.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:39 PM

Quote:

I know it's probably hard to read when rage has filled your eyes with blood, but I'd give this one a reread. She's complimentary of literally every aspect of this project including how quickly they moved. She was just saying that even when there's no legal need it could be beneficial to show your designs to the public as input could benefit all parties.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Uh oh. It's Inga time. Actually, I think there's an app for that. 1487 might want to check GooglePlay.

For the sake of needless provocation, let me just point out that the Under Armour planned for the first floor has been nixed in favor of . . . a Wendy's. Pearl feels such an amenity will contribute greatly to the diverse appeal of this neighborhood in which they are investing so heavily. The teen element adds un certain je ne sais quoi that will likely boost luxury apartment rents. Plus there's social justice to think about.
I heard it was going to be a bank branch or mobile phone shoppe.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I heard it was going to be a bank branch or mobile phone shoppe.
Interesting. I heard a combination soup kitchen/ needle exchange emporium.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Interesting. I heard a combination soup kitchen/ needle exchange emporium.
That would definitely enhance neighbourhood diversity! Anyway, I read the Inga article as overwhelmingly positive. I'm not going anti-Inga in pointing this out, but her complaint that there should be more public discussion of a "by right" project is unreasonable. This is especially odd, since she lauds Pearl for doing what it's entitled to do. The whole point of "by right" is to eliminate unnecessary discussion. Why would Pearl voluntarily expose itself to difficulty or delay when it doesn't have to? Pearl doesn't need that headache, and doesn't need anybody's affirmation either. Advance discussion would be nice as a "pie in the sky" wish for the benefit of her column and the surrounding community, but, as she points out, 1910 Chestnut was an exception due to the historic designation. And, as she notes, building higher here would've involved CDR review -- but they didn't, so it doesn't. End of story.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
That would definitely enhance neighbourhood diversity! Anyway, I read the Inga article as overwhelmingly positive. I'm not going anti-Inga in pointing this out, but her complaint that there should be more public discussion of a "by right" project is unreasonable. This is especially odd, since she lauds Pearl for doing what it's entitled to do. The whole point of "by right" is to eliminate unnecessary discussion. Why would Pearl voluntarily expose itself to difficulty or delay when it doesn't have to? Pearl doesn't need that headache, and doesn't need anybody's affirmation either. Advance discussion would be nice as a "pie in the sky" wish for the benefit of her column and the surrounding community, but, as she points out, 1910 Chestnut was an exception due to the historic designation. And, as she notes, building higher here would've involved CDR review -- but they didn't, so it doesn't. End of story.
It sounds like she wants pearl to leak her info and work with her, which makes sense

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
It sounds like she wants pearl to leak her info and work with her, which makes sense
that could be the case. Lots of developers and architects leak info to her and it seems they don't- hence the chastisement. Pearl must not recognize her authority.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
those are my points- but it may be accepted coming from you. This site is like an online episode of the bachelorette in which people are fighting for her love.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:

Nice article, thanks for this! Looks like the official height is 197 feet.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
those are my points- but it may be accepted coming from you. This site is like an online episode of the bachelorette in which people are fighting for her love.
Thanks. It just seems like it's personal for you. I don't love or hate her. She's just another source of information/opinion for me.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:00 PM

Delete. Never mind. This one will be great.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
No, it isn't. No one gives a shit but you. Everyone else focuses on the good and bad points of her articles on the merits. No different than Plan Philly, Hidden City or any other articles by other writers on projects. She could be a paper doll for all I care. You are the only one that continually makes every project she writes on about her.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:31 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Pearl's been very cagey with the media. It's a lot easier to get quotes from Samschick (who, once he opens his mouth, can't close it) or Blatstein or even Dranoff than it is to get quotes from Pearl.

Most of the really interesting stuff I've learned about them I've learned from talking with architects who work with Pearl.
Quote:
Zoning policy has been so tangled in Philadelphia for so long it's hard to get used to seeing a skyscraper (even a small one) rising unannounced on a busy downtown street. Though the main goal of Mayor Michael Nutter's reforms was to make by-right development the norm, that hasn't happened often because the city hasn't updated its zoning maps. The Beacon worked because the site was properly zoned.
Oh look, Inga has been reading me.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I know it's probably hard to read when rage has filled your eyes with blood, but I'd give this one a reread. She's complimentary of literally every aspect of this project including how quickly they moved. She was just saying that even when there's no legal need it could be beneficial to show your designs to the public as input could benefit all parties.
This.

Good lord 1487 take a xanax or something.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:54 AM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This.

Good lord 1487 take a xanax or something.
It is at the point where I'm starting to think someone needs warn her or call the police. Dude is obsessed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. It just seems like it's personal for you. I don't love or hate her. She's just another source of information/opinion for me.
Aside from this site the other people I know who read her material aren't nearly as impressed. She has good points at times, but her agenda gets to be overbearing at times. She has waded into a lot more than architecture and urban design criticism over the years- sometimes you can lose focus on what you're actually good at by trying to do too much.

At least she likes this project- rare praise indeed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:46 PM

Inga's article brings up a sad bigger picture - this site is zoned CMX-5 and is arguably one of the more prime and desirable corners in the entire city - and to avoid the predatory scrutiny of the neighborhood groups and city commissions Pearl has limited this building to just 197ft.

In a way Pearl isn't maximizing revenue here, they're minimizing headaches.

Still, very handsome building - wish they'd include condos as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive