HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:21 PM

Such a great tour, felt like I was there ... thanks, I've never really seen Key West before!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:55 PM

Great pics.

Been there in 2006 and I'm pretty sure I've been to many of the places in your photos too (I'm gonna check my own photos now).

Great vibe, one of the highlights of our trip... Don't remember it being a 3 hour drive from Miami (Beach) but I guess it is. Do remember eating in one of those strip malls on Key Largo on the way back, but it was a decent restaurant with good food. And I DO remember Key Lime Pie!!!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Its about a 3 hour drive from Miami depending on traffic (leaving on a Friday afternoon/evening at the start of a holiday weekend could make that time double) but I've never made the drive without stopping somewhere in between. The drive to the Upper Keys is a little easier. I can make it from my house to Key Largo in about 40 minutes. Its easier to get to than Fort Lauderdale. With any historic town that has been overrun with tourists, the key to exploring the place is to get off the main tourist street (Duval St).
I've always thought Key West would be a nice place to retire to but the hurricane evacuations are a nightmare with one 2 lane road connecting the 100,000+ (80k residents plus who knows how many tourists/part time residents) to the mainland. It doesn't get evacuated often, and most residents don't leave even when ordered, but it does happen once every 10 years or so.

Real estate prices can be a little steep but I could see myself retiring to a place like this and taking a bike/scooter for all my daily needs:
https://www.google.com/maps/@24.5543...lzZbGYWzVA!2e0
I thought the same thing in regards to Key West as a nice place to retire. However, hurricanes scare me. And I could imagine evacuation being troublesome in such an isolated place. Ideally extended stay during the year would probably work better for me with the main home in the eastern US somewhere (I love greenery/trees).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:30 AM
E pluribus unum

Charming photos

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:04 PM
Editor

I love Key West....a very cool spot indeed. The drive out to the key is one of the most interesting drives I've ever done.

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSeattle View Post
Nice
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopYourColla View Post
Very cool. I've always wondered what Key West was like and your photos showed it off nicely. I always thought it was more of a suburb of Miami, didn't realize they are quite a ways apart. Looks like a very colourful little town. Thanks!
Thank you. Yes, Key West is a colorful and unique place with a cool history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! Key West seems like the closest thing to a Caribbean island in the US.

I like the swordfish balustrades (?).
Thank you. The swordfish ornamentation was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Awesome. Had no idea it was such a long drive into the ocean.
Thank you. Yeah, Key West is 160 miles from Miami so it's a long way out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
wonderful shots. florida isn't my cup of tea this time of year, but once january rolls around i'm always more than ready to visit south florida...
Thank you. Hahaha yep, even though I was raised in the Deep South the humidity in South Florida in the summer is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Such a great tour, felt like I was there ... thanks, I've never really seen Key West before!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Great pics.

Been there in 2006 and I'm pretty sure I've been to many of the places in your photos too (I'm gonna check my own photos now).

Great vibe, one of the highlights of our trip... Don't remember it being a 3 hour drive from Miami (Beach) but I guess it is. Do remember eating in one of those strip malls on Key Largo on the way back, but it was a decent restaurant with good food. And I DO remember Key Lime Pie!!!
Thank you. I've never been much a key lime person. It's soooo sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Charming photos
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I love Key West....a very cool spot indeed. The drive out to the key is one of the most interesting drives I've ever done.

Thanks for posting.
You are welcome and thank you. The drive out is an experience.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

great job. one hard earned piece of advice for the drive down. should rainstorm creep on you just south of miami, while you are in the thick of the everglades, do not, repeat, do not stop to put your convertible top up. my god, the horror of that memory. instataneously swarmed by hordes of mosquitos!

otherwise, yeah, its one of thee great drives with a convertible. flying in is fun too. also, make sure to bring thick soled waterproof sandals to wear if you want to go to the beach and swim, its very rocky at the waterline. the rocks help protect the island i think.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:48 AM

Given the absence of high rises and mid rises in this city, I'm guessing they have height restrictions in Key West, and with the historic preservation there, lots of Nimby's.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:03 PM
Illustrator, editor

Great! Would be really nice to visit Key West, Miami, Orlando and Tampa on a Florida trip!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:05 PM

I miss those sky's!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:09 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Great tour!

In my next trip to Florida, I want to visit the Keys. What a lovely towns and landscapes!

Thanks for sharing and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
great job. one hard earned piece of advice for the drive down. should rainstorm creep on you just south of miami, while you are in the thick of the everglades, do not, repeat, do not stop to put your convertible top up. my god, the horror of that memory. instataneously swarmed by hordes of mosquitos!

otherwise, yeah, its one of thee great drives with a convertible. flying in is fun too. also, make sure to bring thick soled waterproof sandals to wear if you want to go to the beach and swim, its very rocky at the waterline. the rocks help protect the island i think.
Thanks. Lol now that's a story. You'd be better off trying to out run the rain in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Great! Would be really nice to visit Key West, Miami, Orlando and Tampa on a Florida trip!
Thanks. St. Petersburg is also a cool city to visit and Fort Lauderdale too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Great tour!

In my next trip to Florida, I want to visit the Keys. What a lovely towns and landscapes!

Thanks for sharing and greetings from Madrid, Spain.
Thanks. Key West has its charms.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:05 PM

One of two well preserved colonial era towns in Florida - the other, St. Augustine. Key West, the more colorful, flavorful, cultural. I've always enjoyed my time there, as it offers surprises and dynamisms well beyond its population and size.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:18 AM
An Optimistic Realist

A city I really need to experience. I don't live too far from it but I never had the time. Thanks for the pictures.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos