HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Why would they invest in renderings then? The city and Houston Airport System is pushing the idea forward. The mayor gave the Houston airport system the approval to apply to the FAA for a spaceport license. This project would be finance from a variety of sources.
That makes a lot of sense, I guess once they have aquired the liscence they will be moving onto construction phase?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

Construction phase, why? There's not even any need for a spaceport at this time because there no economical means to get to space. That rendering showing a massive complex. Maybe in 50 years, but not now.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
That makes a lot of sense, I guess once they have aquired the liscence they will be moving onto construction phase?
HBJ reports that it could open by 2019 if all goes according to plan. They also have to convince the public that it's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Construction phase, why? There's not even any need for a spaceport at this time because there no economical means to get to space. That rendering showing a massive complex. Maybe in 50 years, but not now.
Houston's spaceport would host only orbital and sub-orbital launches. I actually don't see why this was done sooner. As said on another forum, Houston is the best location for a Spaceport with NASA -- and companies contracted by NASA nearby.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Why 50 years? Why not now? A lot of campanies are already trying to get liscenes for spaceports here in Texas and the other places in the US.

TEXAS

Example: Midland - XCOR, South Padre Island - SpaceX, Van Horn - Blue Origins, Mesquite - Armadillo Aerospace

OTHER PLACES IN THE US

Example: New Mexico - Virgin Galactic, Mojave - Masten Space Systems, Florida - Kennedy Space Center, etc

So then why is every state competing for spaceports? Because they know its important for commercial/tourism space flight. Its a start.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:17 AM

Quote:
HBJ reports that it could open by 2019 if all goes according to plan. They also have to convince the public that it's a great idea.
Ok so then if it does open in 2019, that would mean construction would start in 2016/2017. Still a long time ahead of us.

Also Lockmat on thehaif noticed that the Astroworls plot would was put onto the market again on hfflp.com

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 12:30 PM

Light rail was a 20 year battle. I want to be optimistic and I am not exactly saying the spaceport will take 20 years but I have the need to think realistically as well. I guess the right now is the best time to milk it and build a spaceport given Houston's boom but it still would be costly and take time to build. I don't even know the first thing about what the regulatory process might impede but I am assuming it isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Why would they invest in renderings then? The city and Houston Airport System is pushing the idea forward. The mayor gave the Houston airport system the approval to apply to the FAA for a spaceport license. This project would be finance from a variety of sources.
It doesn't take much money to invest in renderings and proposals comparatively. I think this project has a great chance moving forward due to the proximity of NASA's Johnson Space Center and resulting experience in space-related aviation.

However, I would be very surprised if the space port would look anything like the proposal.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:22 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Yeah, no kidding. Cities and development agencies spring for renderings for things like possible airport and port expansions all of the time, doesn't mean that it's anything beyond a concept. Houston is better aligned than most cities to get something like this done, in this case, because of its size and history with space exploration. But, that doesn't mean that this is anything more than a concept, at the moment.

Just because this is more likely to happen in Houston than in almost any other area of the country doesn't mean this is likely (over 50%) to happen, but I wish the concept all the best.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
Wow I love that last picture!
It's a neat trick making it look like there's a small hill in the picture.

I've not been out in that direction in years. I'll have to try to get there next time I'm in town.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:51 PM

Quote:
So does this space port have an reality of happening ever?
They've probably got a time line stretching out 50 years. I think the intent is to advertise that they are thinking of a large scale facility, in case there is anything competing being planned elsewhere in the region. Most of the buildings are probably going to serve other purposes.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post

I've not been out in that direction in years. I'll have to try to get there next time I'm in town.
I meant the skyline in the background but yea, I too haven't been to the area in a while.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post

It's just perspective and does not even look like it's on a hill. Maybe if you quickly glance at it because of the trees. You can tell it's leveled by how it lines up with the trees.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:50 AM

Cool map by Shasta on HAIF with all the solid proposals for DT (5 total):

edit: 5 office proposals and 1 hotel. Residential under construction will have no impact on skyline, except the Hines Market Square residential tower (no rendering yet).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:38 AM

I like all this building , they are cool .

Last edited by Houstonlover; Sep 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

edit: 5 office proposals and 1 hotel. Residential under construction will have no impact on skyline, except the Hines Market Square residential tower (no rendering yet).
Whats that one on the far left. The Marriott?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:25 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Whats that one on the far left. The Marriott?
Yup.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 3:09 PM

Jennie Sealy Hospital

Richmond Landing

By Jax

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJ
Developer shares details on Generation Park mixed-use project

McCord Development Inc. offered more details on its mixed-use project within a 4,000-acre business park in northeast Houston.

The development will be a lively, walkable area with restaurants and retail inside Generation Park — the business park where Houston-based FMC Technologies (NYSE: FTI) purchased 173 acres in January.

The mixed-use portion, dubbed S.PA and pronounced es-pa, is a necessary step toward recruiting more tenants to the business park, said Ryan McCord, president of the Houston-based development company.

Full Article: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post

The scale is off for the Hines tower and the International tower but still pretty cool. Must be from the old versions for both buildings.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:40 PM

That would be phase 1 on Generation Park right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations