HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ and here we are roughly 35 years later and the toronto skyline still hasn't changed one bit.
Yeah there's still a hundred and fifty construction cranes busy swinging back and forth, but all they seem to do is pour concrete into giant holes.

Not sure what the actual project is, but guessing it's for an "old school" invasion of China (multiple breach points for our enormous military).

We don't have internet so we can't hack into HK, Shanghai, Beijing or the other 1,327 Chinese cities hosting a hundred thousand development sites, to try and re-direct (steal) some of the world's structural steel.

We did steal enough steel to get a supertall 2 levels above ground, but hardly a skyline changer.

Benito

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 4:04 PM

Does being the birthplace of aviation and hometown of these two dudes count as pop culture?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 9:13 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Yeah there's still a hundred and fifty construction cranes busy swinging back and forth, but all they seem to do is pour concrete into giant holes.

Not sure what the actual project is, but guessing it's for an "old school" invasion of China (multiple breach points for our enormous military).

We don't have internet so we can't hack into HK, Shanghai, Beijing or the other 1,327 Chinese cities hosting a hundred thousand development sites, to try and re-direct (steal) some of the world's structural steel.

We did steal enough steel to get a supertall 2 levels above ground, but hardly a skyline changer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Does being the birthplace of aviation and hometown of these two dudes count as pop culture?

I think it should, and it's Dayton, Ohio.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 12:55 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ not seeing how that's a pop culture reference. in that case, every historical event/character is a pop culture reference. also, please go back and read the OP's criteria/posting instructions.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 1:03 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
^ not seeing how that's a pop culture reference. in that case, every historical event/character is a pop culture reference. also, please go back and read the OP's criteria/posting instructions.
If it makes you feel better, the humorist Erma Bombeck started her career as a humorist in Dayton.

Meanwhile, Laurell K.Hamilton sets her smutty vampire novels in St. Louis.

And one of the actresses on Orange is the New Black, Danielle Brooks, is from Greenville, where I live now.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 2:16 AM

Alaska has many tv series. I believe it all started with Alaska state troopers, which the filming usually took place in my town. Unfortunately I’ve worked with some of the suspects on the show.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 4:47 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
I think it depends. Something like the birth of aviation in and of itself might be considered a purely historic event now. But in its time, I'm sure it was very popular in the cultural zeitgeist & the imaginations of many around the world. The air travel industry that it ultimately led to certainly has its fair share of pop culture icons. Things like the sleek aesthetics and branding of Pan Am, for example, come to my mind. Maybe that's too big of a leap, but it does seem different than citing something like New Haven, CT as the place of death of Eli Whitney, inventor of the Cotton Gin. The Cotton Gin isn't exactly memorialized in pop culture. Or maybe it was...bad example!? Were there cotton gin toys that kids played with in 1790's America?

Anyway, thanks for the nudge, RE the OP's criteria for posting. Maybe his rules were too complicated... I suspect most just aren't reading the first post when they jump in. I don't really mind if folks just want to share about their own cities. I just thought it would be more interesting & challenging if we were required to consider each other's hometowns ahead of our own. And it would be OK if you guess wrong about another city - that is meant to be part of the "fun" - so that we can learn about our own perceptions / misconceptions.

I intentionally chose the wording of "Your City in Pop Culture" vs. "What is Your City Known For?" - because Pop Culture is a bit harder to place into context. Both of the examples I've shared for my hometown of Kalamazoo thus far are "historic" in the sense that they no longer exist here. Checker Motors & Gibson Guitars blew out of town 4 decades ago. But they both still resonate in Pop Culture (I think).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, to try and keep it going, for Alaska - in general, I think tourism, mainly cruises and outdoor excursions. That's pretty general, but I think I could argue it is still pop culture - it certainly gets advertised often as a destination for thrill seekers (well, at least prior to 2020, and hopefully again soon in the future).

That means I have to come up with a third one for Kalamazoo (see how that works?). A more contemporary item that I think most would recognize is beer, and specifically, Bell's Brewery. You want to get even more specific? Bell's Two Hearted Ale (American-Style IPA), voted best beer in America four times in a row through 2020 by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA). Bell's is the oldest existing craft brewery in Michigan, and as of 2020, Bell's is distributing in 42 States and Puerto Rico.

Hands up if you've had this beer!

Source: Bell's Beer

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 6:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i just had a bells two hearted double ipa yesterday that was on draft at the blind tiger out here in the village. it was like an oreo with double stuff!

for detroit robocop is eternal, but it seems people have forgotten the crow.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:14 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ i just had a bells two hearted double ipa yesterday that was on draft at the blind tiger out here in the village. it was like an oreo with double stuff!

for detroit robocop is eternal, but it seems people have forgotten the crow.
I've never seen it, and I guess I forgot it took place in Detroit! "The Crow" is pop culture squared, if you consider that it is Dwight Schrute's all-time favorite movie

Source: BuzzFeed

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post

If just about anyone on the planet can name those two people, then it's pop culture.

For example, can you name the person on Delaware's state quarter? Probably not, which shows that that guy has not entered pop culture.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 10:10 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Alaska has many tv series. I believe it all started with Alaska state troopers, which the filming usually took place in my town. Unfortunately I’ve worked with some of the suspects on the show.
The Seattle area is the part-time home for a lot of those "Alaska" people!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 1:50 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto, 1974

Source: Reddit

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...e-hatched.html

Quote:
Unnoticed by passersby and often unmarked by plaques, numerous Toronto addresses with big parts to play in cultural history sit mostly uncelebrated. In our series Local Legends, we tell you about them and put them on your mental map.

From the outside, the modest detached brick house nestled in the Eglinton-Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto blends in quietly with the surrounding dwellings. But where 1063 Avenue Rd. is concerned, it’s more a case of what’s — or rather who’s — inside that counts.

From 1973 to 1978 that “who” included some of the most famous and beloved Canadian performers from the Second City theatre company (now a local institution) as well as its fondly remembered spinoff comedy hit, SCTV.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 4:33 AM

From here to there to Ellicott Square, a few popular culture references over the years

- The original 1800s song "Buffalo Gals" and its multiple variations and sampling up to this decade
- Of course "Buffalo Wings" (or just chicken wings in Buffalo) which has now evolved to "Buffalo Style" everything
- "Shuffle Off to Buffalo" from the musical 42nd Street
- "Buffalo Bob" from the Howdy Doody Show (yes he was from Buffalo)
- "Moon Over Buffalo" - Carol Burnett's return to Broadway in the 90s
- "Buffalo Bill Show" - 80s TV with Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis
- "Truckin' Up to Buffalo" - Grateful Dead classic
- The "Wide Right" kick which led to the movie "Buffalo 66"
- The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager was developed and built in Buffalo, as was the jet pack flown in the 1967 Super Bowl and in the James Bond film Thunderball

"Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch..." Niagara Falls has been part of pop culture since the 1600s.

Last edited by benp; Dec 21, 2020 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
John Candy was almost thin once. Miss that comic genius. SCTV was far better than SNL. Dan Ackroyd and Gilda Radner on the left were among the best on SNL, and Eugene Levy good on SCTV. Second City Chicago & Toronto, where it started. Who is the lady to the left of Candy? She looks like Maya Rudolph, but that can't be. The time difference doesn't work.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 6:27 AM
E pluribus unum

I think that's Andrea Martin?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I think that's Andrea Martin?
Catherine O'Hara, I think.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Catherine O'Hara, I think.
According to an article about John Candy in Ottawa Life Magazine, it's Rosemary Radcliffe.

https://www.ottawalife.com/article/c...member-dad?c=2

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 7:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
From here to there to Ellicott Square, a few popular culture references over the years

- The original 1800s song "Buffalo Gals" and its multiple variations and sampling up to this decade
- Of course "Buffalo Wings" (or just chicken wings in Buffalo) which has now evolved to "Buffalo Style" everything
- "Shuffle Off to Buffalo" from the musical 42nd Street
- "Buffalo Bob" from the Howdy Doody Show (yes he was from Buffalo)
- "Moon Over Buffalo" - Carol Burnett's return to Broadway in the 90s
- "Buffalo Bill Show" - 80s TV with Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis
- "Truckin' Up to Buffalo" - Grateful Dead classic
- The "Wide Right" kick which led to the movie "Buffalo 66"
- The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager was developed and built in Buffalo, as was the jet pack flown in the 1967 Super Bowl and in the James Bond film Thunderball

"Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch..." Niagara Falls has been part of pop culture since the 1600s.
I didn't know that the Bell X-1 was developed & built in Buffalo - that's pretty cool. Sad to hear he died this year. When I was very young I did a book report on Chuck Yeager. He was a childhood role model of mine. You listed so many, so this is going to be harder now... I associate the Buffalo Central terminal building with Buffalo. Maybe not purely pop culture, per se, but it certainly is iconic and it has been featured in several films, TV shows, and music videos (on that note, I guess I could also have said the band "The Goo Goo Dolls").

Video Link

I'm running out of good ones for Kalamazoo. So I'll switch to nearby Grand Rapids, MI. Much like Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids is probably most known for its great craft beer (these days). But in terms of pop iconography, whether you love it or hate it, the massive La Grande Vitesse sculpture is pretty pervasive. Designed by Alexander Calder & installed in 1969, it has become a symbol of the city. The sculpture is admittedly kind of cool in my mind, though many have disdain for it. The plaza which it sits in is the greater offender in my mind - it is a pretty desolate, mid-century, urban-renewal pile of schlock. The city has been trying to revitalize this plaza for years now. So strong is the association between city & sculpture, it is now the basis of the relatively-new new city flag

La Grande Vitesse, pictured in June 2016 -

Source: Google | Rob Du Bois

The New(ish) Flag (tribute to Ms. Pac-Man?) -

Source: Flags Unlimited

The Dedication Ceremony in 1969, attended by Calder Family & (future) President Gerald R. Ford -

Source: MLive

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Now for Houston, we were the city that the US nuked trying to destroy the aliens in Independence Day.
I saw that at the theater that used to be at W. Gray and Waugh. The entire audience laughed out loud at that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions