HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

101/102 Interchange Remake

How should it be done? Should Bedford Bypass be demolished once Burnside Connector’s open to traffic? Show your ideas!
Edit: Actually, showcase your designs. It’s hard to follow with mere words. One can upload to Flickr or imgur, copy the address of the image, then do [img]image address[/img].
I'm gonna create a "table of content". One can view them by clicking the arrow in the quotations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFreeway View Post
#7 (v1)
Quote:
#11 (v2)
Quote:
#50 (v3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Bayman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jan 23, 2021 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How should it be done? Should Bedford Bypass be demolished once Burnside Connector’s open to traffic? Show your ideas!
Edit: Actually, showcase your designs. It’s hard to follow with mere words. One can upload to Flickr or imgur, copy the address of the image, then do [img]image address[/img].

@swimmer_spe already showed his in the Canadian section.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Kx&usp=sharing

That's what I think is needed there.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post

That's what I think is needed there.
I see that you’re trying to do an ON-400/ON-407. Be careful though. Burnside Connector may be closer than you think.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I see that you’re trying to do an ON-400/ON-407. Be careful though. Burnside Connector may be closer than you think.
Actually, it's more of a 407/410 or 407/427

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If you have 4-stack, it’s ON-400/ON-407. I’ll draw then show mine when I have time.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you have 4-stack, it’s ON-400/ON-407. I’ll draw then show mine when I have time.
Then it is not quite a 4 stack....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:01 PM

Here's my proposal

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I wanna say they both look good, but both of you seem to have forgotten that Burnside Connector ties in right after (north of) the overpass of Bedford Bypass...
I wanna do my version too, but I won’t have time until the weekend.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:25 PM

For reference:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Thanks @hoser111!
Just like this, I’ve started my first SSP competition.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
I wanna say they both look good, but both of you seem to have forgotten that Burnside Connector ties in right after (north of) the overpass of Bedford Bypass...
V2 lol

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

From Franco401:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401
Bedford Bypass runs directly into 101. The three houses sandwiched in on Memory Lane will now be fronting Bedford Highway, as they once did. The 102, which will be six lanes in the future anyway, would be a collector-express system (part of this is getting built as part of the connection to the 107). The existing cloverleaf is now a parclo, and ramps have been added from the 102 Collector lanes to the Bedford Bypass to really cement it as a more convenient route toward Dartmouth than the surface road in Bedford. The one part of the project that will really drive the cost up is the long flyover ramp from the 102 NB to 101 WB, which could prove unnecessary if it is decided that going through a traffic light is acceptable).

Thoughts? I think this solves all potential safety problems, and the only possible traffic movement not addressed is from Bedford Bypass to 102 SB, which is easily accomplished by the 107.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue
Anyway, nicely done. Just need to make sure that 101E to 102N isn’t involved in the traffic lights (aka barricaded from them). My thoughts are much closer to yours.
I think the flyover from 102N to 101W is necessary, or else people from Sackville will fume.
@EasternFreeway Your v2 is a lot more complicated so I will take a much closer look later.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
For reference:

Quote:

.. this is the plan... for now.
There is no reason they can't change things. In the North End, they used to have a bridge to nowhere at the end of the MacKay Bridge. That was supposed to be the bridge to a street which after a few years, a new wider bridge was built.

My idea cleans it all up, and it makes Magazine Hill actually be part of what it should be.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Construction on Burnside Connector has actually started.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...163187&page=12 #229
@swimmer_spe I thought you were aware of this. That said, that tie-in at Glendale Avenue should be set in stone.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:20 AM

That official map of the 107 extension is exactly what's happening right now. The main considerations for my idea were:

1. No new land acquisition. All of this ROW should already be there, as plans are already in place to bump the 102 up to 6 lanes.

2. The cloverleafs coming off 102 have got to go. This isn't like other cloverleaf interchanges that can stay safe another 50 years. These ones are tiny, as opposed to the 2/15 in Moncton which was enlarged when Route 2 was twinned. The concepts here which show large stacked interchanges would require vehicles to slow down more than they already do. The scale of a stacked interchange is considerably larger than what can be done without buying up countless properties here.

3. The 107 connector is already including a collector lane, all we need is to add one on the other side and extend them.

4. The Bedford bypass is useless unless there's direct access to and from the 102.

5. Cost. My idea involves minimal landscaping (a huge expense in an area where rock blasting is necessary) and only four overpasses (two of which are existing overpasses that need to be replaced anyway) and one large flyover that as I mentioned is optional.

6. A continuous Trunk 1 between Sackville and Bedford, with actually sidewalks giving access to the handful of properties and park along what will now be a straight road, allowing pedestrians and cyclists to pass between two commercial areas without risking life and limb or using the circuitous greenway.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:52 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yep pedestrian and cyclist access along Trunk 1 has been my top concern in this area. I’m even thinking that Bedford Bypass can be demolished since Burnside Connector more or less replaces it.

Granted, I don’t know how much traffic goes from 102N to 101W, but I just feel that interrupting that flow with 2 lights won’t sit well with people.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Construction on Burnside Connector has actually started.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...163187&page=12 #229
@swimmer_spe I thought you were aware of this. That said, that tie-in at Glendale Avenue should be set in stone.
https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/hali...nt?oid=1066168
About halfway down talks about a ramp that was a single lane to Robie that was replaced with a 2 lane ramp, yet the old one was there for a while.

I know what is happening. Doesn't mean 5,10, 20 years from now someone smartens up and redoes this area.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yep pedestrian and cyclist access along Trunk 1 has been my top concern in this area. I’m even thinking that Bedford Bypass can be demolished since Burnside Connector more or less replaces it.

Granted, I don’t know how much traffic goes from 102N to 101W, but I just feel that interrupting that flow with 2 lights won’t sit well with people.
This is why pulling it out of the mess with the 101/102/107/33 makes sense. Imagine highway 7 mixed in with highway 407 and 400.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:50 AM
BANNED

I never really explained my idea and why. I have lived in Halifax for about 4 years. During that time, I would drive around and explore the city. I always found this mess to be unnecessarily convoluted. So, here are my problems with the existing and how my idea fixes it.

1) 101 ends on a surface street even though a freeway like road exists through that are. By getting rid of the direct connection to the Bedford Highway and instead connecting the Bedford Highway to Sackville Road, and it being separate from the 101/107, it will mean those surface roads and the freeway will be free flowing.

2) Currently, you cannot get onto Trunk 33 from the 102. That make no sense. The additional ramps will fix that.

3) Currently, 107 is being built to the 102, but not connecting at this interchange. Some will say it is a done deal. The ramp to nowhere (about half way down the page) Proves that even if built wrong, it can be redone right. It is wasteful, but it it is needed, the it works.
https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/hali...nt?oid=1066168

4) It is currently a messy cloverleaf. Flyovers would be better, and if they could make it a 4 stack, that would be amazing. This messy interchange causes traffic to back up due to those who get backed up on the 102.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Tbh, I must admit that connecting 33 to 101 and keeping 1 separate from the freeways are a good look and that I never think it possible. Lol, mine’s gonna pale in comparison and may mean that the rifle range has to go (unless Bridge Street is extended under the 102 to link it).

That said, I’ll still share mine. I just need to be humble about it lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure