HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 5:58 PM

GM Doraville plant deal still in works

A Florida developer is still working on a deal with General Motors to buy and redevelop the former Doraville auto plant.

New Broad Street and GM have reinstated their contract for the developer to purchase the 165-acre GM plant, which the auto maker shut down a two years ago.

The two sides extended the closing from the initial June 30 deadline to August 31. The additional time would allow DeKalb County, the city of Doraville, and New Broad Street to finalize development agreements.

Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 11:28 PM

1315 peachtree project to add museum component.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 4:57 PM

Well, there is a thing in the paper that says Regions Bank is looking around for a big lease where they can put their name on top.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, there is a thing in the paper that says Regions Bank is looking around for a big lease where they can put their name on top.
I found this http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...wscolumn4.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 7:32 PM

Here are some more CONCEPTUAL ONLY images of the Doraville GM redevelopment from New Broad Street.

The existing Doraville MARTA station will be the 'front door' to the new district.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 2:03 AM

Interesting. The density seems okay, but there's an awful lot of decked parking...

It also doesn't look like they have incorporated any of the I-285 BRT/light rail project into their development. Honestly, I'm not surprised. DeKalb Co. pretty much forced this through and hasn't coordinated with the City of Doraville, who actually has development control over the site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 12:19 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Here are some more CONCEPTUAL ONLY images of the Doraville GM redevelopment from New Broad Street.

The existing Doraville MARTA station will be the 'front door' to the new district.

Is this about to break ground?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 2:27 AM

Talking

Looks pretty good - has to be at least a couple of years off though...

Last edited by cabasse; Jun 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 12:24 PM

Well, we had to come into town the other day and it looks like they are working on that Town Brookhaven thing again. They are also putting something up on Clairmont across from the Sam's Club but we couldn't tell what it was.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Is this about to break ground?
They haven't even closed on the property yet. The new closing date target is August 31. Once closing is completed then they will develop specific plans for the property.

And remember there is a massive auto plant on the site which has to be remediated from brownfield status. On their website they say the site is expected to be ready for vertical construction by late 2013.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:22 PM

I know it's just conceptual, but hopefully they at least think about preserving some right-of-way for a fixed-guideway project. You'd think it would make good sense from a developer's perspective to try and have more transit, minimize the parking requirements and put more real development that's worth actual value on the site.

As an example, Brock Built, in good faith, committed a decent corridor for the BeltLine in the center of their WestTown development, without a guarantee that the transit alignment would even be designed to operate there. They haven't really started building WestTown due to the real estate slump, but they made the commitment as part of their site plan/rezoning application.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATL View Post
I know it's just conceptual, but hopefully they at least think about preserving some right-of-way for a fixed-guideway project. You'd think it would make good sense from a developer's perspective to try and have more transit, minimize the parking requirements and put more real development that's worth actual value on the site.

As an example, Brock Built, in good faith, committed a decent corridor for the BeltLine in the center of their WestTown development, without a guarantee that the transit alignment would even be designed to operate there. They haven't really started building WestTown due to the real estate slump, but they made the commitment as part of their site plan/rezoning application.
Yeah, the revive285 plan sure makes it seem like the LRT would run right through there. They should know by the time they need to start vertical construction whether the 1 cent additional tax that would likely fund the LRT line (and whether it even makes the list) by then too, so that might help encourage them (or in the case of not passing or not being included discourage them)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 4:17 PM

Does anyone know about the upscale mall coming to Forsyth: North Atlanta Center?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverKid! View Post
Does anyone know about the upscale mall coming to Forsyth: North Atlanta Center?

http://www.taubman.com/leasing/321.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 6:16 PM

Skyline at Lindbergh site sold

Quote:
Alliance Residential has bought the almost 3.5 acres that its previous owner envisioned as Skyline at Lindbergh.

Alliance plans to build about 230 to 250 luxury apartments in a five-story building wrapped around a structured parking deck.

The project's start date will depend on available bank financing, Walmsley said, adding that work will begin "in the near short-term. It's not a hold for 5 years thing."
AJC

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
yeee another five-story apartment building, that's what Atlanta needs

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
yeee another five-story apartment building, that's what Atlanta needs
What do you purpose they need? 5 story building in that area works very well. Although about half of the area around Lindbergh station is till auto only strip malls - you can clearly see the fabric building in the area. I think quietly it is doing the best job of going from pure auto dependent style area to urban fabric. Not just along a major road, but several blocks keep and within walking distance of MARTA. So may other laces in Atlanta right now, there is density along a major road, and once you get off that main road, single family homes. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but its nice to see an area where you can see the density building up several layers deep - something I think is key to having the density necessary for a thriving street scene.

There are a number of 3-5 story condo/apartment buildings pushed to the street, lots of street level uses. Even the newer developments such as the Best Buy center - though still more classic suburban style, have retail pushed to most corners of the street, include the back access road off of the main road.

There still needs to be more redevelopment, but that area has a lot of promise in terms of havin a grid and street activity. Its already one of the more active corridors in the area IMHO and has a lot of great things to do, with a booming night life at Lindbergh Center. Only real complaint is they could use some more local/home grown businesses, but that will come with time.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 2:16 PM

Don't we have intown apartment inventory to last until the next century?

I'd rather see people buying existing condos or renting existing apartments.

It's pretty close to the last thing we need. Especially "luxury" apartments.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:49 AM

^ I thought the Atlanta apartment market was still relatively strong? I know my apartment complex is 100% rented. Also, in Atlantic Station the apartments are doing fine even though the condos wont sell.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^ I thought the Atlanta apartment market was still relatively strong? I know my apartment complex is 100% rented. Also, in Atlantic Station the apartments are doing fine even though the condos wont sell.
From what I've read there are areas that are very strong and others that are completely over built (including a flood of condo conversions).

That being said, I couldn't find recent numbers that would tell me much of anything about the Lindbergh area, though there has been a bit of a flood of apartments.

To the OPs (not shivtim) - I don't really understand the comment - its a potentially urban development of a partially completed building (and a bit of an eye sore at that). Not sure what all of the negativity and hate is. I understand you don't want to over build to the point there is a lot of empty apartments, but geez,that's all you've got to say is that, nothing to back it up, no indication of the area?

To each there own I suppose, I feel there is a lot of positives with it going forward.

Last edited by DonTallPaul; Jul 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta