HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 8:38 PM

Huh. This sounds like something from the 1960s. I thought Atlanta was supposed to be a gay mecca.
Quote:
The Atlanta Police Department has released copies of nine complaints filed yesterday with its Office of Professional Standards by patrons and employees of the Atlanta Eagle, a gay bar that was the target of Sept. 10 police raid.

Police Chief Richard Pennington said in a press conference yesterday that the raid was a result of an undercover operation that began after anonymous complaints about sexual activity were received in May. He promised a full investigation into the raid.

Police released records stating that undercover officers saw sex acts taking place at the bar during two visits prior to last Thursday's raid. During the raid, eight employees were arrested on business violations, including some for providing adult entertainment without a license by dancing in their underwear, but no one was arrested on sex or drug charges.

The nine complaints filed by Eagle employees and patrons on Monday allege that police treated patrons roughly, forced them to the floor and left them lying face down for as long as an hour as they searched everyone and checked their identification in a computer system.

Complete story: Police release copies of complaints against officers in Eagle raid
Some describe rough treatment, threats, slurs

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Not exactly restaurant news, but Coca Cola is testing their new "Freestyle" machine in the Atlanta market at various Firehouse Sub, Subway, Wendy's and other locations.
Apparently you can get anything ranging from a Caffeine-free Diet Coke with Orange to a Minute Maid Light Cherry Lemonade, as well as 16 types of PowerAde and 12 different kinds of Sprite.
our country needs more ready access to fructose! this is a brilliant idea.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 9:39 PM
i ain't no bubba

Sigh...another one bites the dust (from ABC)

Quote:
ESPN Zone struck out in the Atlanta market, unable to continue successfully in the recession.
The sports entertainment restaurant and bar on Thursday posted on its front doors a closure notice from Dominic Minniti, general manager for Disney Regional Entertainment.

“We have enjoyed being a part of the Buckhead business community for nearly 10 years. The overall economics of continuing this operation has given us no option but to close.”

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:40 PM
i ain't no bubba

Another story from ABC online...
Quote:
TGI Fridays in Buckhead has also closed. The restaurant, at 2061 Peachtree Road, closed in late September.
Clearly, this is a sad, sad day for the foodies of Atlanta! First the ESPN Zone and now this...how much more can they be expected to endure?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:45 PM

Pacci Ristorante an Esquire "Best New Restaurant"

Midtown Atlanta’s Pacci Ristorante will be lauded as a “Best New Restaurant 2009” in the November issue of Esquire, which hits newsstands on Tuesday, October 13.

The last Atlanta restaurants to take the honor were Shaun’s and Trois (now closed), which both made the list in 2007.

“In a city with a lot of dreary Italian restaurants and precious few very good ones, Pacci sets the bar higher, and not a minute too soon,” according to Esquire food correspondent John Mariani.

In the June issue of his Virtual Gourmet newsletter, Mariani called Pacci’s Chef Keira Moritz one of the best among few women chefs in Atlanta, saying “she is serving some of the finest Italian in the city while also offering first-rate steaks and chops.”

Mariani called her pastas “outstanding” and said “her Colorado rack of lamb may well be the finest example I’ve had in Atlanta in a long time.”

Pacci was one of only 20 U.S. restaurants honored by Esquire in the 25th annual survey.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 5:12 PM

Red Mango eyeing the Big Peach

Non-fat frozen yogurt chain Red Mango wants to put 20 stores in metro Atlanta in the next five years as part of a national expansion.

"We're experiencing the strongest franchise growth in our company's history, and Atlanta is the perfect market to add to our network," said James Franks, vice president of franchising for Dallas-based Red Mango. "Despite the economy, the interest in our business and delivering on our brand promise for health, taste and style only gets bigger."

The chain now has 60 stores in 14 states, but has commitments for 209 more stores. The company says it’s on track to have as many as 550 stores within five years.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 6:26 PM

The Atlanta Business Chronicle says that the owner of Arena Tavern is planning on opening more restaurants in the city.

Quote:
The owner of Arena Tavern in Duluth is on the hunt for more properties to expand his high-end sports restaurant concept.

Michael Miller, chief operating officer of Laughing Out Loud Restaurant Group LLC, plans to open three more Arena Taverns in 2010, including one in Buckhead.

Formerly a partner in Hudson Grille in Brookhaven, Miller opened the 6,800-square-foot Arena Tavern at Sugarloaf Parkway and Satellite Boulevard in April.

Now he’s scouting sites in the Cumberland Mall area, Midtown, downtown and Kennesaw for possible restaurants, he said.

“Buckhead should be our next location, probably open by the summer,” Miller said. “Then Kennesaw in the fall 2010.”

Miller describes Arena Tavern as “a Houston’s [restaurant] on steroids. We’re a high-end sports restaurant with better-than-bar food.”

Miller is currently self-funding the restaurant openings, which cost about $3 million, he said, in part because of the 65 high-definition flat-screen televisions in the restaurant.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...wscolumn5.html
By the way, for those who say there's no entertainment out here in the burbs, I would point out that this is just one more example of restaurants that are already in the suburbs getting around to opening intown branches.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:40 PM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
The Atlanta Business Chronicle says that the owner of Arena Tavern is planning on opening more restaurants in the city.

By the way, for those who say there's no entertainment out here in the burbs, I would point out that this is just one more example of restaurants that are already in the suburbs getting around to opening intown branches.
Honestly, I'm ok with not having Applebee's and Chili's in the city...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popewiz View Post
Honestly, I'm ok with not having Applebee's and Chili's in the city...
Maybe they're not going to help anyone develop an "educated palate," but those high-volume chain restaurants have generated many a tuition payment, rent check and bag of groceries. While I was in undergrad, I waited tables at a lot of places like that - places I wouldn't be at all interested in eating at now. (I wouldn't refuse if invited there by someone, it's just not what I'd choose.) I remember having to frequently go inside the bank rather than using the ATM because you can't cram an envelope stuffed with $100 in fives and ones into that little slot. I certainly wasn't getting money like that from my minimum wage on-campus jobs.

If it weren't for the presence of places that some of us find too suburbanesque, there would be a whole lot less money in circulation to be be spent at the independent coffee shops, the intown boutiques and locally-owned restaurants, "fancy" or otherwise.

(I'll leave aside the weak, gimmicky "young women in low-cut/short/tight clothes as part of the furniture" aspect of sports bars.)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:36 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Maybe they're not going to help anyone develop an "educated palate," but those high-volume chain restaurants have generated many a tuition payment, rent check and bag of groceries.
Back when I was in the waiting table phase of my life I did quite well at the Peasant Restaurants without ever having to set foot in Applebee, Chili's or even a Chuck-E-Cheese. I say leave the 'surburban restaurants' OTP!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 3:29 PM

Lets not rag too hard on Applebees. I averaged over 100 per night (not counting Fridays and Saturdays, 150+) which is a ton of money for a 18 -22 year old. I kinda wish there was something more mainstreem downtown near the aquarium. I think an Outback would be perfect.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
I kinda wish there was something more mainstreem downtown near the aquarium. I think an Outback would be perfect.
There's a Taco Mac next to Philips Arena. It's kind of a hike from the Aquarium, but at least it's a pleasant walk through the park to get there. The new-ish Johnny Rockets is close, though.

My current favorite in that area is Max's Coal Oven Pizza -- very good food, nice atmosphere and I think it would appeal to mainstream tastes.

I wish there could be a family restaurant on the eastern edge of Centennial Park for museum goers coming from/going to the Peachtree Center MARTA station. We've got a membership at both Imagine It and World of Coke and end up hungry for lunch on the way out of the museums with no convenient place to go in the direction of Peachtree Center. So much of the street level space in that area is unfortunately taken up by nothing but service and parking entrances for buildings.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
There's a Taco Mac next to Philips Arena. It's kind of a hike from the Aquarium, but at least it's a pleasant walk through the park to get there. The new-ish Johnny Rockets is close, though.

My current favorite in that area is Max's Coal Oven Pizza -- very good food, nice atmosphere and I think it would appeal to mainstream tastes.

I wish there could be a family restaurant on the eastern edge of Centennial Park for museum goers coming from/going to the Peachtree Center MARTA station. We've got a membership at both Imagine It and World of Coke and end up hungry for lunch on the way out of the museums with no convenient place to go in the direction of Peachtree Center. So much of the street level space in that area is unfortunately taken up by nothing but service and parking entrances for buildings.
You could always walk to the Civic Center Station and you'll pass the restaurants at Twelve Centennial Park and Allen Plaza. Of course that walk isn't all that great either.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:45 PM

^Mellow Mushroom in Allen Plaza is a good choice.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:29 PM

Good idea RE: Mellow Mushroom near the Civic Center station. There's also a couple of fast food spots over there I've never been to. I forget that Mellow Mushroom is there for some reason.

Yeah, it's not a great walk going past all those beaten up surface parking lots between Civic Center station and the museums (not to mention the worn down sidewalks), but there's some great views of the skyline over that way.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:37 PM

Well I see where Genki is going to open a second location in Virginia-Highland.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 7:39 PM

Well people are saying this place is pretty nice.

First Look: Bistro Niko

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:12 PM

Empire State So., at 999 Peachtree (10th and Peachtree), seems to be coming along nicely. The windows are uncovered now and art and lighting is visible. No progress yet on the bocce court they're supposed to be putting in. It's scheduled for a spring 2010 opening.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 8:16 AM

Give Social a try near the Civic Center station and behind 30 AP.

http://www.socialintown.com/

The tajines are incredible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta