HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 9:07 PM

Atlanta 1960 Transit Plan

http://digitalcollections.library.gs...id/219/rec/128

Dang, they had vision back then. I know Atlanta was no where near the size it is now and they still had trains in the burbs. What happened to the vision? One of the main things that caught my eye was that they stated it should be "grade separated" and not this stupid mess of having your commuter trains mixed in with traffic. Now, I'm all for the Beltline and the modern street cars. I'm more so talking about the light rail line from Marietta to Midtown and the one that was planned for Gwinnett. Even the Emory line light rail. These need to be heavy rail so that they don't get slowed down by traffic. Dang ATL, some of these anti-transit folks messed it up for us today and still are!!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
http://digitalcollections.library.gs...id/219/rec/128

Dang, they had vision back then. I know Atlanta was no where near the size it is now and they still had trains in the burbs. What happened to the vision? One of the main things that caught my eye was that they stated it should be "grade separated" and not this stupid mess of having your commuter trains mixed in with traffic. Now, I'm all for the Beltline and the modern street cars. I'm more so talking about the light rail line from Marietta to Midtown and the one that was planned for Gwinnett. Even the Emory line light rail. These need to be heavy rail so that they don't get slowed down by traffic. Dang ATL, some of these anti-transit folks messed it up for us today and still are!!
Oooh, thanks. I'd only seen a few images from that before. If anybody is looking for where the Decatur station is located on page 18 (the two streets mentioned don't exist any more) it's right in the middle of the current Decatur High school.

It's interesting that they ruled out having any of it underground. The way they put the northeast section on the Beltline leaves central midtown with nothing so I guess they were just going to rely on a "loop bus" there. I'm glad we spent the big bucks to go underground through the heart of midtown.

This is definitely more of commuter plan rather than an urban plan. Good read. Thanks again!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
This is definitely more of commuter plan rather than an urban plan. Good read. Thanks again!

No problem!

I definitely think that is the beauty of MARTA's rail. It's a hybrid and can act as both. Intown it should act more as an urban system where in the burbs more like a commuter system. Of course there would be development around both types of stations but the kind of development will be determined where it's located

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:31 AM

I think this plan actually formed the basis of MARTA as the 1972 has almost all of the same priorities except with the addition of the central subway (not the Beltline) and the direct line to Emory.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta