HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 12:16 PM

I think it's great NYC has more buildings over 1,000' than any other city. Now we just gained another. 1 WTC, ESB, BOA Tower, (4 Times Square), Chrysler, NYT Tower, 432 Park, & One 57. 7 officially, 8 unofficially since 4 Times Square's antenna was never a part of its initial design.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 1:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
You got it, I will take some this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
I've been working on the 65th floor there, but every time I'm there, it is cloudy. Maybe next time I'm there.
Great. I may be out and about this weekend to get photos from various places. Or maybe next week.

The skies don't look so friendly as of right now...

www.432parkavenue.com

http://streeteasy.com/building/one57-condominium/58a

sadiefederspiel

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 2:15 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's a great view (from the ESB).
The view will look even better with the other projects taking off on W. 57th St.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Funny how these supertalls suddenly make the surrounding buildings seem so ... inadequate ... when so many of them could be the proud towering centerpiece of the downtown area for most other cities in the US.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 5:42 PM

So true, Cityspire for example looks so short already.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 5:57 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
Funny how these supertalls suddenly make the surrounding buildings seem so ... inadequate ... when so many of them could be the proud towering centerpiece of the downtown area for most other cities in the US.
If you're including the small cities yea, but cityspire for example wouldn't stand out too much in most major US cities aside from like DC or Phoenix etc.

I think this thing has actually passed 1000' already no?

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Great. I may be out and about this weekend to get photos from various places. Or maybe next week.
I'll bring my nice camera next time I go, but that won't be for another couple weeks. I'm working on the Rainbow Room, by the way. It's going to look great in a few months.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
If you're including the small cities yea, but cityspire for example wouldn't stand out too much in most major US cities aside from like DC or Phoenix etc.

I think this thing has actually passed 1000' already no?
I suppose it depends on how you define major US cities. If you are using CitySpire as an example (from all the other buildings in that picture), there are only 12 cities outside of New York with taller buildings:

Chicago
Cleveland
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Oklahoma City
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle

That leaves a whole bunch of other mid to large cities where CitySpire would be its tallest building.

Phoenix
San Antonio
San Diego
San Jose
Austin
Jacksonville
Columbus
Fort Worth
Detroit
El Paso
Memphis
Denver
Washington DC
Boston
Nashville
Baltimore
Louisville
Portland
Las Vegas

... just to round out the top 30 in population. Obviously many other cities as well.

Adding in a few more in the largest CSAs that don't make top 30 in population in city proper

Miami
Minneapolis
Orlando
St. Louis
Sacramento
Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Raleigh
New Orleans

etc....

"Completed" buildings taller than City Spire

New York (13)
Chicago (13)
Philadelphia (3)
Atlanta (3)
Houston (3)
Los Angeles (2)
Dallas (2)
Cleveland (1)
Indianapolis (1)
Pittsburgh (1)
Charlotte (1)
Oklahoma City (1)
San Francisco (1)
Seattle (1)

Obviously Chicago rocks.

Last edited by JustSomeGuyWho; May 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 9:02 PM

for so long, there seemed to be an unofficial, or perhaps official, height limit for midtown towers; with 432, hopefully that convention is shattered.

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 9:39 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitmetro101 View Post
for so long, there seemed to be an unofficial, or perhaps official, height limit for midtown towers; with 432, hopefully that convention is shattered.
Certain blocks in Midtown are zoned for shorter towers.

Hopefully, this tower will provide proof that rezoning throughout Midtown should be a priority!

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 12:58 AM

That last shot for all you LOTR fans gives Midtown a pan-Middle EArth feel to it now.
One57 and 432P as the monoliths of Isildur and Anarion, and RCA/GE doing a cameo as an Art Deco interpretation of Isengard.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 9:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitmetro101 View Post
Unofficial. There are no height limits in Midtown, what limits the height is the FAR. The trick is to assemble enough development rights to build a tower large enough to reach great heights. In the case of the residential towers, it comes at a time when people are willing to pay great amounts for those high apartments, justifying the expense of assembling the expensive land, air rights, and construction of these supertall towers.

As far as the office towers go, again, no specific height limits. The vast amount of the NY office supply is dated, what you are seeing now is the beginning of a "turnover" of supply. As a global capital, and home to so many companies, New York needs a steady supply of new office space, the best to offer. That really hasn't been happening in the last 2 decades at the rate it should have. Adding to that, office towers are generally taller now than they were decades ago, a 30-story office tower built back then would be shorter than a 30-story tower today.

So when you add it all up, to truly stand out, a tower needs to be at least a supertall to just stand above the pack. It helps to be closer to the waterfront.

At half it's height, 432 Park wouldn't get the same prices for those upper floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
I suppose it depends on how you define major US cities. If you are using CitySpire as an example (from all the other buildings in that picture), there are only 12 cities outside of New York with taller buildings:

Chicago
Cleveland
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Oklahoma City
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle

I can remember when Cityspire was the tallest residential in New York - wasn't really that long ago. But with the exception of Chicago, it would still stand out in those other cities.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 9:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Earlier today...

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 4:18 PM

Very nice NYguy, are those taken from Jersey?

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 6:20 PM

With silhouetted(?) photos precisely of that kind (i.e. ESB isn't in the photo to drop the hint), I use these memory aids:

1. If you see One57 and Citi's roofs slanting upper left to lower right, you're looking from Jersey.

2. If the simple pyramid of One Worldwide Plaza sticks out more or less like a sunflower in a crocus patch, ditto.

Last edited by JayPro; May 26, 2014 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 7:57 PM

My latest video from today which also shows 432 from different angles in Rockaway:
By: QUEENSNY121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I9...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 8:45 PM

well all i have to say is that it is wonderful this building is being build. if prices are high, increase the supply.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 9:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
My latest video from today which also shows 432 from different angles in Rockaway:
By: QUEENSNY121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I9...ature=youtu.be
Appreciate the updates QUEENSNYMAN. The days that are very clear, this tower becomes a focal point from every angle. Even out in Newark,NJ, as one is entering the city from I-78, it dominates the area. Makes the Chrysler look tiny next to it from a far.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 11:30 PM

Wow, the last ~400' are really going to widen some eyes. If they stopped at 1000', it would 'kinda' blend in, but another 400' is going to make this pop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive