HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:16 PM
video et taceo

Maestro but also Sir Scratch and K-Cut, who were part of Main Source with NYC's Large Professor, and DJ Ron Nelson (shouted out on BDP's Criminal Minded, and a big promoter of early TO acts like Michie Mee and Dream Warriors).

That late 80s NYC connection was a big deal for Toronto. Canada would have had to wait for the Tupac era to get Rap City on Muchmusic were it not for some of these guys working hard back then.

(side note: Maestro at the Rebecca Cohn in Halifax was the first show I ever saw live!)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:23 PM
Walk taker

For all the poor press and representation, deserved or not, Baltimore is a majority-Black city with a really vibrant history and culture.

It has been a musical and cultural powerhouse for some time, from being the home of Cab Calloway and Billie Holiday to giving birth to the distinct Baltimore Club sound and acts like Rye Rye and JPEGMafia. Authors and scholars such as W.E.B. Du Bois and Ta-Nehisi Coates have also called the city home, and media figures including Oprah Winfrey and Lance Reddick also have roots in town.

Baltimore is home to two HBCU's, Coppin and Morgan State Universities. The NAACP is currently headquartered in the city and has been since 1986.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:25 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
The NAACP is currently headquartered in the city and has been since 1986.
That's interesting I didn't know that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
For all the poor press and representation, deserved or not, Baltimore is a majority-Black city with a really vibrant history and culture.
Do you know what an "arabber" (aka "street Arab") is?

When I was growing up they were still common (I lived in the DC suburbs but my dad did a lot of business in Baltimore and we went there for dinner and other things all the time, then I went to school there).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:12 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
He's the Elon Musk of pop culture. Kanye may have some mental issues (like Elon) but he's brilliant in marketing himself.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
He's the Elon Musk of pop culture. Kanye may have some mental issues (like Elon) but he's brilliant in marketing himself.
Yes, exactly.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:18 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

PG county Maryland

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:21 PM

There's a Little Ethiopia in LA just south of Miracle Mile. It's just a little strip of restaurants. I haven't tried Ethiopian food yet but it looks really good.

https://goo.gl/maps/CYNX6dbYT2rmCELF6

wiki

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I haven't tried Ethiopian food yet but it looks really good.

Vegetarian combo

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tadu...B0c5O323XPzfMA

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It seemed so put on to me... like “this is Hollywood trying to make us believe these dudes are so hard... yet it’s 75 and sunny and they’re drinking 40oz on the front porches of their houses that have palm trees in the front yard”.

I always referred to it as “suburb rap”
Or they were just playing up that old Hollywood trope of "trouble in paradise." The movie playing in your mind probably starts with an idyllic sun-soaked scene of palm trees and pink houses, before delving into the hard realities of gritty, urban life in the ghetto. It's all about that visual, textural contrast in narrative, setting up the tension, and tragedy, of a paradise lost. It's a little more accessible than that unrelenting monochromatic grit and decay, and it's what helped mainstream hiphop in the 90s.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:55 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I haven't tried Ethiopian food yet but it looks really good.
You're missing out. I wish I didn't have to trek all the way to Uptown or Edgewater to get some good Ethiopian food. Someone who's not me probably knows why all the Ethiopian restaurants in Chicago are there...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I wish I didn't have to trek all the way to Uptown or Edgewater to get some good Ethiopian food.
I feel for you. I don't have to trek far at all (X marks my spot):

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...sco%2C+CA&ns=1

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
You're missing out. I wish I didn't have to trek all the way to Uptown or Edgewater to get some good Ethiopian food. Someone who's not me probably knows why all the Ethiopian restaurants in Chicago are there...
I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll have to bump it up the list because that picture is making my mouth water. But there are so many great ethnic food options here you could spend many lifetimes and sample only a fraction of it. I'm the type of guy that likes to go through the entire menu if I really like a restaurant so it takes me some time .

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 1:31 AM

I don't know if the Bahamas was mentioned yet, but Bahamian culture is Black culture there. The country is 95% Black, so they are pretty synonymous.

The unique characteristics of Nassau and the Bahamas begin with the music. Bahamian music is rake-and-scrape and junkanoo. These are distinct from Caribbean music like reggae. Rake-and-scrape and junkanoo are high tempo, upbeat music that is typically good for dancing. That dancing leads into the Junkanoo Festival that takes place after Christmas, when slaves had a week off between Christmas and New Years.

Sidenote trivia: Did you know that KC and the Sunshine Band's roots are in Bahamian music? They are from Miami, maybe 100 miles from Nassau, and their original name was KC and the Sunshine Junkanoo Band.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Yet, it sucks that no one really knows the very deep and rich black history of Pittsburgh... and much of that is due to the fact that city "leaders" plowed much of the neighborhood down by the 1960s. Tragic.
Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing the info.

So many cities around the country demolished their prominent black neighborhoods. Cincinnati's version of the Hill District was the West End, which was largely destroyed in the 50s by the construction of I-75 and urban renewal projects that resulted in public housing and light industrial/office parks. It was home to a substantial Black community as early as the 1830s, and steadily grew as the heart of Black life in the city. By the 1930s, 70% of black Cincinnatians lived in the West End. It was dense and had a thriving black business district. The demolition of the West End dispersed the black community throughout the city.

and now...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...!4d-84.5120196

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:18 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing the info.

So many cities around the country demolished their prominent black neighborhoods. Cincinnati's version of the Hill District was the West End, which was largely destroyed in the 50s by the construction of I-75 and urban renewal projects that resulted in public housing and light industrial/office parks. It was home to a substantial Black community as early as the 1830s, and steadily grew as the heart of Black life in the city. By the 1930s, 70% of black Cincinnatians lived in the West End. It was dense and had a thriving black business district. The demolition of the West End dispersed the black community throughout the city.

and now...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...!4d-84.5120196
sigh. "Mission Accomplished," I'm sure.

(we won't talk about what happened to 63rd and Halsted in Chicago).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:23 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

trigger warning: demolished midwestern urbanity

cincinnati is really the jewel of the midwest with regards to its built form

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
In terms of African diaspora culture, and Nigerian specifically, you might want to keep an eye on Texas, as well. Yeah, I know, the same Texas that everyone thinks is nothing but racist rednecks in pickup trucks. There are more Nigerian immigrants in Texas than in all of Canada. There are twice as many as in New York State. Houston is second only to New York City in number of Nigerian immigrants within the city proper.

And people wonder why I prefer living in Houston to San Antonio.
Imagine if I stated that Houston has more Swedish immigrants than any other American city, "and people wonder why I prefer Houston to San Antonio."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 2:17 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Memphis has deep roots, but doesn't get enough credit in current day Hip Hop for the roots of Trap music, with 3-6 Mafia and they're 120 BPM tempo and choppy flow. You can place their old verses over modern day Trap and it would fit right in. Heck, Atlanta stole crunk from Memphis.

Also, Cleveland is another giant in Soul music, and Bone Thugs N Harmony doesn't get their due for influencing the rapid-fire sing song delivery that many newer MC's are using.

St. Louis is another city I haven't seen mentioned yet, having it's own Blues and being a pioneer of Rock-N-Roll

Note: I'm not leaving out any cities on purpose. This isn't so much a thread concerning history per se, I'm thinking more along the lines of places that attract Black wealth and nationwide prominence, the Black version of measuring the strength of a places cultural brand. It's all subjective. I might re-consider putting Detroit on that list, and swapping it with Miami.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Last edited by Segun; Mar 20, 2021 at 2:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions