HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Today, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
While I would expect some people to protest, if the Developer doesn't get the increase they need, they could just remove the micro units and lower the height to the current zoning. At that point, it is doubtful that the project could be stopped.

My biggest issue isn't the unit breakdown or even the micro units for lower incomes (which are probably added as a way to get the height increased). My issue is the amount of parking. It is in one of the most transit saturated areas of the City. They could reduce the amount of parking and increase the unit counts, or even lower the average rental rates. For the remaining parking, they should charge a premium for it.

So, if there was anything to really protest against, it would be the amount of parking being included.

Old Posted Today, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
I do research for this pretty vocal tenants right organization in the city. They are already planning physical demonstrations to protest this project. Not going to be an easy process for the developer and I almost guarantee they are going to be forced to include more affordable housing. I do agree that its pretty ridiculous to use these micro units as a way of saying they're including affordable housing and even more ridiculous that 60-80% AMI is considered affordable.
The fact that the Road Home used to be on this site doesn't grant it mystical properties. It's a nice design and fits in well with the developing neighborhood. I don't remember the planning commission ever denying a height increase that is allowed under the site's zoning. The planning commission does not have the power to require additional (or any) affordable housing as part of the design review process so if this group believes that they can force it to be included I'm not sure what this is based on. Protesting this project seems at best performative.

Old Posted Today, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
The fact that the Road Home used to be on this site doesn't grant it mystical properties. It's a nice design and fits in well with the developing neighborhood. I don't remember the planning commission ever denying a height increase that is allowed under the site's zoning. The planning commission does not have the power to require additional (or any) affordable housing as part of the design review process so if this group believes that they can force it to be included I'm not sure what this is based on. Protesting this project seems at best performative.
First of all, I think the design of this project is some of the best in the city. That being said, I think some people believe that local political decisions should reflect the interests of concerned citizens. Because some people do share that sentiment this group has had some influence on smaller things like zoning decisions. With this one.. you can't deny that a homeless shelter being replaced by sub-400 sq ft units for people making $40k makes for a really compelling argument as far as the media is concerned.

All things considered, I hope the project gets built and sets a new standard for design in the area and throughout the city.

Old Posted Today, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Then why is this your first post? What username did you use before?
Bammbammz

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West