HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:22 PM

The more educational campuses the better.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting:

Seven Oaks School Division plans to open new Met School in Winnipeg's Exchange District

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sion-1.5984845

It will be interesting to see where they end up putting it and how big it will be.
My alma mater! I'm so proud! Where's that old band sweater of mine....????

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting might be in richlus building?
they got allot of empty space floors these days

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:22 PM

Don't know if this was mentioned here yet or not... City of Winnipeg PP&D rejected a variance in the exchange because the building was 45 feet too tall (45% bigger than the 100 foot allowed). The kicker, it's a surface parking lot.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...pd/2021/a20865

Thoughts?

My opinion, it looks like the podium is level with the two adjoining properties and the tower is set back. I don't think it would cause too many concerns about ruining the human scale of the neighbourhood. If the City wants this to stay 100 feet they need to make it economically viable to do so.

What should be done if the city wants to ensure the exchange district stays human scale is ensure the lots stay human scale. Why is there 1 single lot to the south of this that looks like it's an acre big surface parking lot? (EDIT: Just checked eCIS, it's 2 lots, one 30000sqft, the other 39000sqft)

Can the city force the subdivision of a lot?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:06 PM

Ya we discussed this at length. Many feel the building was great and fit right in. Some did not because of the heritage neighbourhood.

It was also said regarding other properties ,such as the surface lot the size of Hudson Bay across the street, that there is a select few who own these properties and like keeping them as parking. Because parking makes money and their other properties need parking.

So it's like a triple whammy. Wont develop the lot because it doesnt make financial sense. The setback requirements hinder the smaller lots more and force them to go higher, like 127 Bannatyne, to become financially viable. But then the height restrictions and rejected variance hinder that. So what's one to do..

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So what's one to do..
Surface lot tax?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya we discussed this at length. Many feel the building was great and fit right in. Some did not because of the heritage neighbourhood.

It was also said regarding other properties ,such as the surface lot the size of Hudson Bay across the street, that there is a select few who own these properties and like keeping them as parking. Because parking makes money and their other properties need parking.

So it's like a triple whammy. Wont develop the lot because it doesnt make financial sense. The setback requirements hinder the smaller lots more and force them to go higher, like 127 Bannatyne, to become financially viable. But then the height restrictions and rejected variance hinder that. So what's one to do..
I read that report in the appeal documents and they specifically said that one building wouldn't change the character of the area, but with so many surface lots, they could transform the area if all built tall. Couple thoughts:
1- that's kind of the idea. They say explicitly in the document that they want densification but then in the same breath rule out tall buildings. How would tall buildings ruin the character of the exchange? You wouldn't even notice the tall bits, they would likely all be set back and out of the way.
2- if they're really concerned about developments changing the character of the area, they could just put a closed for business sign up and cordon off the area. It's among many buildings in the same height range. What do they expect developers to do? Willingly lose money on projects?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Let's say that every lot was filled in with the lower parts being 5 storeys. Then there would randomly be these towers on top in the range of 100' to 150' total height for the new builds. That would be amazing! Maybe they need to be more specific on the viability of projects. And like I mentioned the smaller lots are already more restrictive in making them viable. Does the report talk a out the financial viability and why they are going taller? I'll read through when I get some time.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:01 PM

The letter from the architect mentions extreme pressure on financial viability.

Would it make a difference if they swapped the residential to the lower floors and pur office on the top? I think the zoning bylaw specifically mentions setbacks for residential.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan