HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Checking structures like radio towers, as well as all of the state highpoints that have lookouts and the like, it seems that if you allow any man-made structure, this list includes every state east of the Rockies except Maine, Vermont, and New York.

(Both Mt. Washington in New Hampshire and Black Elk Peak in South Dakota have structures at their summits.)
I don't know, that seems qualitatively different... like Mt. Washington is still the high point even if it's slightly higher due to a structure. That feels quite different than the distant skyscraper being higher. But I guess there's a lot of ambiguity on what constitutes "distant"

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:03 PM
video et taceo

The highest point in Denmark is just 170m, but the country's highest skyscraper is only 140m or so. But there is a 321m radio tower in Fyn and numerous, highly visible 200m+ wind turbines scattered around Copenhagen and other parts of the country.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I don't know, that seems qualitatively different... like Mt. Washington is still the high point even if it's slightly higher due to a structure. That feels quite different than the distant skyscraper being higher. But I guess there's a lot of ambiguity on what constitutes "distant"
Fair enough. Here's a quick attempt at a classification:

Skyscraper is taller than hill:
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Louisiana
Ohio

Nearby homes, silos, etc:
Delaware
Iowa

Distant radio tower is taller than hill (likely missing a few):
Alabama
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
North Dakota
Rhode Island
Wisconsin

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 7:52 PM

Mount Lukens is the highest point in the city of Los Angeles at 5075 feet. It has radio and TV towers on top so i guess the highest point in LA City is an artificial tower haha

The highest point in LA County is Mount Baldy at 10,066 feet and the highest point in the LA metro and SoCal is the San Gorgonio peak at 11,503. Neither has any towers on top

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:59 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The landfill is taller than the tallest hill in Austin:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2009-09-18/865021/
Those Mount Bonnell and landfill heights are sea level heights, of course. I remember that article, and I got a good chuckle out of it since the drawing seems to suggest there's a 795 foot pile of garbage in Austin or that Mount Bonnell is that prominent. In truth, the Frost Bank Tower's top is higher than both of those two - around 994 feet above sea level.

If you Google "highest point in Austin" you'll no doubt be reading about Mount Bonnell, but Mount Bonnell hasn't been the highest point in Austin for a while since more land was annexed in what became West Austin. Mount Barker, Mount Larson, Cat Mountain, Bull Mountain are all higher than Mount Bonnell.

The tallest structure in Austin is the 1,308 foot KXAN Tv Tower. That tower and several others that are over 1,000 feet tall are all taller than Mount Larson - the hill they stand on, even when taking into consideration the total sea level elevation of Mount Larson.

Big photo of Austin's tv and radio towers:

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 23, 2021 at 4:00 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions