HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Go Blue Jays go, but let's not get carried away now...

Agreed, if/when we make it to the World Series then maybe.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:18 PM

Three outs left for the Jays - big ask right here.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:52 PM

I just realized, that aside from one ESPN game I had on mute, this was my first game watching that wasn't by Sportsnet...

You wake up from the booster and homer ways of hometown media and you see holes in this Jays team that left them open today for exploit...

The rest experiment did not work. Joey Bats was cramping up and a lot of the players looked stiff.

Price did not get served either from his long rest. Keeping an arm cold does more harm at times then rushing it back when its still hot.

The Rangers bullpen which was lauded as a buffet for the Jays to feast on, did a good job in closing us down, we had our moments but they managed our lineup well which I did not like seeing.

I was oblivious to this all coming into this game. The hype got to me, I really assumed Price would come in like clockwork and clean things up. Now for a team that obviously had some nerves, you get a pressure cooker situation for game 2, but something tells me Stroman well be eating off that and have a good day.

Other things I noticed.

Tulo looks stiff and still not up to speed, he had one serviceable play all game, but all the rest of the day look awkward out there.

Edwin should of had two homers but was either didn't follow through, or pull in enough which happened right after Joey Bats homer.

I hope we can clean this all up, much to learn from that for the team. I am happy Joey was at least able to get something going, you could see it sparked something in him after, he was revved up.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 10:54 PM
gettin' rich!

Yikes, donaldson and Joey bats out?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:01 PM

They are both expected to play tomorrow

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
I just realized, that aside from one ESPN game I had on mute, this was my first game watching that wasn't by Sportsnet...

You wake up from the booster and homer ways of hometown media and you see holes in this Jays team that left them open today for exploit...

The rest experiment did not work. Joey Bats was cramping up and a lot of the players looked stiff.

Price did not get served either from his long rest. Keeping an arm cold does more harm at times then rushing it back when its still hot.

The Rangers bullpen which was lauded as a buffet for the Jays to feast on, did a good job in closing us down, we had our moments but they managed our lineup well which I did not like seeing.

I was oblivious to this all coming into this game. The hype got to me, I really assumed Price would come in like clockwork and clean things up. Now for a team that obviously had some nerves, you get a pressure cooker situation for game 2, but something tells me Stroman well be eating off that and have a good day.

Other things I noticed.

Tulo looks stiff and still not up to speed, he had one serviceable play all game, but all the rest of the day look awkward out there.

Edwin should of had two homers but was either didn't follow through, or pull in enough which happened right after Joey Bats homer.

I hope we can clean this all up, much to learn from that for the team. I am happy Joey was at least able to get something going, you could see it sparked something in him after, he was revved up.
It's baseball and this Rangers pitcher has their number. I was expecting a tough battle and the series probably going 5. Definitely the missed start screwed up Price's routine but, I'm not going to fault Gibbons without knowing all the details. Either way, a couple inches here or there and the outcome would have been very different.

As for the broadcast, all I kept hearing was Astroturf.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:13 PM

Rest or not, Price ain't quite right. Career as a starter in the post-season: 0-6 5.23 ERA.

They were not going to sweep this talented Texas team. However, taking three outta the next four will be a tremendous feat.

Tulo has been a bit of a bummer, gotta say. He looks nothing like the borderline HOFer that his career numbers would suggest he is. I know he's not healthy - never is - but he will have to produce with Donaldson in trouble and JB looking gimpy. He did hit the ball pretty hard on a couple occasions, it must be said.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 9:25 PM
gettin' rich!

This game is fixed!

WTF? Why is it whenever any Canadian team gets into the playoffs the officials are always against us getting to the big show.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 9:38 PM

Well Rogers made $$$ the last couple months of the season so they must be happy. Plus the Argos can move back in, I'd say it's a win-win!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 9:54 PM

Well it was a good run while it lasted. I don't see them winning this series.
Good to see Toronto/Canada excited about Blue Jays baseball again.

The Skydome can't convert to grass soon enough. The commentators have mentioned the weird play of the ball off it. The players certainly noticed it. The fake stuff is pure garbage for any sport. 100% real or GTFO.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Well it was a good run while it lasted. I don't see them winning this series.
Good to see Toronto/Canada excited about Blue Jays baseball again.

The Skydome can't convert to grass soon enough. The commentators have mentioned the weird play of the ball off it. The players certainly noticed it. The fake stuff is pure garbage for any sport. 100% real or GTFO.
Oh please. 20 years ago nobody gave a crap and players managed to heroically perform on artificial turf without incident. I guess it's just a part of baseball's never-ending nostalgia fetish.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 11:50 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, the obsession with the turf got to be quite annoying. As if all grass infields are the same. Some are fast. Others just eats baseball. Depends on the home field lineup.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:02 AM

Turf is crap, just ask the players. I think I trust their opinion more.
Only 2 MLB stadiums without grass - Skydome and Tropicana Field. That pretty much tells you how much grass is preferred. In a few years Tropicana will be by itself - if the team is still in Tampa by then.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:39 AM

This new turf is different. Nothing else like it around as it was a some experiment to copy grass, which it does, but its to thick and plays to slow. Its garbage that would be replaced regardless.

Game was frustrating to watch. It was the botched call that did us in but rather the Jays not being disciplined at the plate and chasing a lot of junk throws. Once agian the Rangers relievers carve into the lineup and do damage. After the benches cleared we got in the relievers head. The guy was huffing and puffing with nerves and once we botched that I had a queasiness going forward.

The call was shit but only off fine resolution and angles could you see it. From a natural eye, unless you had that good angle, he was safe. As a former umpire myself to agree with the first call up until I seen the detailed replays. It sucks but the Jays lost the game another moments then that one.

All the teams have flamed kut in the postseason now here in Toronto. It will be tough for the Jays to come back. You never know though since maybe getting some new air will spark them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
This game is fixed!

WTF? Why is it whenever any Canadian team gets into the playoffs the officials are always against us getting to the big show.
That umpire performance pissed me off (and everyone in my office watching in the lunch room). That 2nd base call in particular was the nail in the coffin. This game looks to be as rigged as a 1950s game show.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 2:14 AM
Urban Fanactic

Was at a bar on John Street just north of Rogers Centre watching the game and during the 14th inning everyone was pissed at the officials.

I thought there was going to be a riot in there because everyone was yelling at the TV's and banging stuff on the tables.

I hope the Jays have a similar them next year.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Turf is crap, just ask the players. I think I trust their opinion more.
Only 2 MLB stadiums without grass - Skydome and Tropicana Field. That pretty much tells you how much grass is preferred. In a few years Tropicana will be by itself - if the team is still in Tampa by then.
HAHAHA!!
Weren't the Rangers and blue jays playing on the same field? lousy excuse to blame the field on the loss of the series.. The Rangers were just able to figure out how to play on the field better for first time being there this year as compared to the blue jays that have played half their games there this year.

Truth of the matter is the blue jays won twice as many games at sky dome this year than they lost.. Its probably the main reason that the blue jays got as far as they did this year. Once they change to grass they will be on a 'level playing field' with everyone else & won't have a competitive advantage on the turf anymore

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 12:25 AM

Imagine if Toronto wins a total of zero games in the post season?? The Toronto media boosterism guaranteed a World Series!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Imagine if Toronto wins a total of zero games in the post season?? The Toronto media boosterism guaranteed a World Series!
Can you please cite where the Toronto media guaranteed that? I'd be curious to see that.

Last edited by Elmira Guy; Oct 12, 2015 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
Can you please cite where the Toronto media guaranteed that? I'd be curious to see that.
I want to see that too. They did point out that the Blue Jays were being given the best odds to win the World Series (which was quite true, they were considered the best team going in by many nonpartisan commentators) but they always pointed out that the post-season is something of a crap-shoot and that nothing is certain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada