HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:32 AM
ARTchitecture

Calgary is getting a new nightclub on the west end of Stephen Avenue. Currently an under-utilized area of the avenue. The area is set for revitalization with the redevelopment of the Barron Building and now the news of this club!

It'll be called "Backwards", and will be the first new bar since Sapien and The Eagle closed in 2012. I also have heard that a couple from Edmonton are looking at opening a new bar here too. Hoping it happens, would be great to have another bear/leather bar in the city again.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:43 AM
Ach, du.

I've been HIV+ since I was 19 (I'm now 23) and I find that the stigma has decreased dramatically. I've had a vast array of sexual encounters with both poz and neg guys.

As long as you're mature, honest and upfront about your status you'll rarely have any issues. If you're someone who is that paranoid about the issue then I have no interest in you anyway.

I prefer open-minded and informed partners.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It'll be called "Backwards", and will be the first new bar since Sapien and The Eagle closed in 2012.
By "first new bar" you mean first new gay bar, right? Or is it literally the first bar to open in that part of Calgary in a few years?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Lol well I don't know how, in a city like Calgary, it could possibly be the first new bar in years But yes, it's the first new gay bar since Sapien opened in like 2007 I think (closed in 2012 due to bad business model)

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:02 AM

Makes more sense. Were there other gay bars in the meantime?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:48 AM
ARTchitecture

Since this is a gay thread, I don't see the need to call them "gay bars" they're just bars to me.

Yes, Calgary's a metro of nearly 1.5 million people, there's a few gay bars here. There used to be a lot from what I'm told, 10th Ave was almost a gay village at one point, but then integration and hookup apps happened and then a bunch of bars closed. The three that survived have been here quite a while. Really hate that The Eagle closed, even if it was for construction of the New Central Library. Calgary's gay community is very dispersed and doesn't really come together. The only sub-communities I've found here that are pretty good with organization and good events are the bear and cowboy communities.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:07 PM

Honest question: are there any lesbian-oriented bars in Calgary (or anywhere in Canada)? The Company House in Halifax had a reputation as a "lesbian bar" when it first opened, but that seems to have faded into a larger hipster/activist/artist clientele (not necessarily majority-female) as it has grown in popularity as a music etc. venue.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Not solely for lesbians, no.

We used to have an official lesbian bar - Rita's Place. It was opened after the first official gay bar in St. John's, Friends, which opened in 1974. Unofficial gay bars, though, or bars with gay nights, opened in the early 1960s.

Now we have two options for lesbians. The main gay bar, Velvet, has ladies nights. And there's also the Station Lounge, which hosts all the lesbian-organized lesbian parties (as a gay man, I often never even know they're happening). Its clientelle is typically lesbian even in between these parties, but not officially so.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 12:17 AM

Outlink at the community resource centre has really been the only other place in Calgary where I've seen people come together besides pride and Backlot. That organization has really helped me a lot, which is why it is so sad that Outlink may dissolve entirely.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:08 AM
ARTchitecture

Why is Outlink on the verge of shutting down?

Oh, and there is yet another new gay bar in the works. No word on where or when yet though. However, I found out tonight that the couple behind the new 'Backwards' night club opening on Stephen Ave are the guys behind Evolution Wonderlounge in Edmonton. This gives me high hopes as Evolution is one of the few clubs I've ever had a really awesome time at.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:15 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Honest question: are there any lesbian-oriented bars in Calgary (or anywhere in Canada)? The Company House in Halifax had a reputation as a "lesbian bar" when it first opened, but that seems to have faded into a larger hipster/activist/artist clientele (not necessarily majority-female) as it has grown in popularity as a music etc. venue.
In Edmonton there was one on 101st Street north of what is now the Arena Entertainment District. With the passing of the owner of Boots and Saddles (bear and leather bar) and the subsequent closure, the owners of the lesbian bar sold their stakes there and re-opened Boots and Saddles as a pan bar known as Junction. This closed as the owner of the building decided to convert it into space for Lattitude 53, an arts gallery.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Why is Outlink on the verge of shutting down?
It has been ratified, basically there was an incident of racism, and their board dissolved. But they just established a new group of members last night, and hopefully it will heal fast

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 7:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govertical View Post
It has been ratified, basically there was an incident of racism, and their board dissolved. But they just established a new group of members last night, and hopefully it will heal fast
That's great news!

A couple pics of last night's 16-act drag show at Backlot... so much fun!

Source: Me

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 10:03 PM
I am a typical

As far as I know, Zig's in Sudbury was primarily for Lesbians when it first started.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:58 PM
Closed account

Who is he?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 10:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Local curler.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 11:00 PM
Closed account

Is he gay, or just kind of adorable?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 11:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Both I guess?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:39 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Pretty cute.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada