HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:12 AM

219 N. Grand Avenue -- B. F. Coulter residence

Reverend Benjamin F. Coulter (1832-1911) has been mentioned here before. We've seen his dry goods store
(in various locations, including those built after his death), his church, and his woolen mill. However, I don't
believe we've ever seen his home at 219 N. Grand Avenue. His home has the odd distinction of appearing on
Sanborn Maps the year it was built and the year it was torn down.

1894 Sanborn with north on the right and Bunker Hill Avenue at the top; as of June 1894 the Coulter home
("A") was being built, but not the barn:

ProQuest via LAPL

June 3, 1894, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

November 17, 1894, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

This photo of 219 N. Grand appeared on the cover of the November 12, 1898, edition of The Capital.
The home at the left edge appears to match the 1894 Sanborn above:

Hathitrust

By 1906, 219 N. Grand had been expanded on its south side, where a home had been before. The building
at 215-1/2 must be the Coulter barn:

ProQuest via LAPL

This is a later, undated photo of 219 N. Grand that seems to match the 1906 Sanborn Map above:

TheRestorationMovement

Above the red X is 219 N. Grand on August 14, 1941. Three buildings to the right is the St. Angelo:

Flight C_7334, Frame 58 at UCSB

In this 1949 Arnold Hylen shot looking west from City Hall, 219 N. Grand is near the upper left, again
above a red X. Above the yellow X is the Nesta at the SW corner of Temple and Olive:

2001-0554 at California State Library

One last look:

1950 Sanborn @ ProQuest via LAPL

July 20, 1950, demolition permit for 219 N. Grand Avenue:

LADBS

-------------------------------------------------------------

P. S. Thanks for your Pio Pico photos, odinthor, and BillinGlendaleCA for your color pics!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 27, 2018 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:15 AM

I just listened to the song.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:30 AM

Carrie Jacobs-Bond was at 2042 Pinehurst Road in the 1920 LACD.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I'm afraid that I'm small potatoes compared to many of the posters here; but here's my background and how I arrived here (put as laconically as possible):

A lifelong love of Catalina prompted me to start collecting old postcards of same. In due course I thought that it would be fun to make a site showing early Catalina, via a fictional story. I then thought, "Well, I have to get the visitors to Catalina, don't I? I could have just a little bit about the part of their visit before they got to Catalina." And then the "little bit" in Los Angeles turned into the lion's share of the site. In researching the L.A. views, at length I found myself repeatedly googled over to Noirish L.A. . . . and spending hours reading post after post. On the encouragement of our colleague Alvaro Legido, I eventually joined . . . which however put me into a cyber holding pen for about a year, a sort of limbo in which I could neither post nor re-attempt to join. One day, I somehow was released from limbo, and . . . here I am.

Such familiarity as I have with metropolis L.A. derives from these turn-of-the-century postcards I've collected, and the research I did when putting them together and writing the story for the site.

I have a further familiarity with pre-Yankee L.A., and L.A. up to about 1875; but sadly or happily that doesn't much come into play here.

Perhaps most importantly, another keen lifelong interest of mine is horticulture, and so I'll often have something to say about trees or flowers or whatever.

I'll (nearly) end by saying that NLA posters compose the most good-natured and well-behaved group of people I've seen on any forum (and I'm on a good number of forums), our spirited, knowledgeable, and gallant preceptor e_r leading by example.

And so, welcome to NLA, and, um, Hurrah for us!

That is all.
Thank-you for the welcome!

I agree with you - from the thousand+ pages I’ve read in this thread, I’ve noticed how friendly and cordial that people are here. As you note, not all forums are so friendly. I think part of it is because this forum caters to a unusual, kind of “niche” interest - the people here are actually interested in the topic - when the “general public” shows up, that’s when things can really go to hell! Trolls, etc.

I too ended up here because of Google. I’d be looking for old photos of LA, and I kept being directed here. Lucky, too, because I love this place now!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
I comment occasionally because I can't seem to get the hang of posting pics (maybe just as well given the treachery of Photobucket). I was born and raised on the other side of the Orange curtain but my mom was an L.A. girl who grew up in an apartment on Laguna Ave., straight across the street from Echo Park and St. Athanasius church (now the Episcopal Diocese of L.A.). I spent many pleasant Saturdays playing on the side of the hill behind my grandmother's apartment.

I've always loved DTLA and the old places like St. Joseph's Church on Los Angeles Street (burned in the 80's). When I was in college in the late 70's and early 80's, I had a job driving back and forth from the OC to the Red Cross HQ on Vermont and Pico. I drove past the spectacular Young Apartments next to the 10 freeway a million times, and a couple of years ago I decided to Google its history. Lo and behold, the search hit NLA and I've been a nightly addict ever since!
I love Echo Park!

When I was a kid, Echo Park wasn’t really the kind of place that you’d want your kid to play. However, I decided to have my lunch there one day last year, and lo and behold! Groups of friendly people were sitting around picnicking. It’s really nice to see the place being used by people again - it’s a beautiful park!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I like many, I assume, have also thought about the proverbial time machine while looking at old photos. Of all the fascinating photos that have been seen here, for some reason this one posted by Beaudry in 2016 is the time and place I'd most want to visit.

I'd love to sit on the bench next to the old guy and maybe ask him where he buys his suspenders. Things like that...
There’s no better place than Bunker Hill to foster the time travel urge in a person! How I’d love to go there, back in time. It truly sickens me, the way that Los Angeles has destroyed such much of its own history!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just listened to the song.

Video Link
The song was extremely popular among the parlor piano set. My mother all the way over in Nebraska--pianist and church organist in her teens (in the 1920s)--had a copy of the sheet music, and indeed an old record of it . . . which I in due course sat on and broke. "Well," said I, "that's the end of A Perfect Day."

People don't think of the correlation these days, but back when the Laurel & Hardy short Perfect Day was released (1929), everyone in the audience would have known that the title was ironically referring to the (1910) song and its lyrics (there are many points in the short at which the "dear friends" would seemingly like to "part," and L&H's day is anything but "perfect").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXHQh-aeXg

We see some streetscape of residential L.A. once the action moves outside . . .

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
"A fun snapshot of children sitting inside and around the World’s Fair searchlight atop the powerhouse on Echo Mountain."

Wondering what "World's Fair searchlight" means. There are lots of mentions of it on the website link provided.

___

OK, on page 219 of a publication called "The Railway Magazine Volume 8" it is written:

"It is called the World's Fair Searchlight because it was first exhibited at the World's Fair in Chicago, in 1893."

https://books.google.com/books?id=Vc...ght%22&f=false

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 9:41 PM

hmmm...since MP brought it up again.

I'm a bit mystified by this photograph.

What is the thing on the ground next to the sign?

OAC

I just took it for granted that the reflecting 'mirror' was attached directly to the back of the searchlight.
...but is that the mirror on the ground several feet away from the actual light?

simply can't pass up this noirish cabinet card.

csl via kcet

OK, just one more question:

What is that in the middle distant? It looks like a semi-circle with broken columns or pillars.
This image is very early, 1895 ...so I am at a loss.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 27, 2018 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Thank you FW. Jacobs-Bond had the house at the end of the road constructed in 1916, when she still had a Chicago address:

ladbs

It's looking very Sleeping-Beauty's-Castle these days:

gsv

google maps

Excellent post on Rev Coulter's house. I'm always interested in North Bunker Hill

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:16 PM

oops. you beat me to it t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Thanks Flyingwedge.

Her home appears to be in somewhat of a hole (for lack of a better word)

google_earth

"In 1917, Jacobs-Bond built herself a three-level house at 2042 Pinehurst Road in Hollywood Heights called “The End of the Road,”
moving there permanently. In 1920, she opened a large Bond shop at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue."

I believe this is the house.

ladailymirror

Elliot Dextor was a silent film actor. [more on him later]

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:21 PM

just found this as well.

cardcow

Mr. Dexter

movies silently

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 1:22 AM

mystery buses.

"Original c.1961 Slides, Street Scene & Bus in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California"

ebay

'Golden Bear'?

ebay

I don't recall seeing these golden bear buses before.

_

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
mystery buses.

"Original c.1961 Slides, Street Scene & Bus in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California"

ebay

'Golden Bear'?

ebay

I don't recall seeing these golden bear buses before.

_
Don't know why, but as soon as I saw the pix, I said, "Oh, yeah--Golden Bear Tours."

Here's the only reference to Golden Bear Tours I could find in a quick check of the Los Angeles Times; but the time is right. I probably saw the busses myself when the family would visit Hollywood.

LA Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Probably a good guess, IIRC the Forest Service blew up the remains of the powerhouse and the Ol' Alpine Tavern in 1959.

ETA: One site that seems to have been neglected in the discussion of the Mt. Lowe project is Inspiration Point which is southeast of the Ol' Alpine Tavern(currently the Mt. Lowe campground). It's the only thing up there that been restored(more like rebuilt). Here's the view:

_4290193.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr. You'll notice the sighting tubes, they also have those up on Mt. Lowe.
BinG

Love hiking the Mount Lowe Railway site; lots of interesting history. Regarding Inspiration Point:The third sight tube from the left makes a 180 bend, and is labelled "Inspiration Point", which of course is where one would be standing (for a bit of whimsy). I have a photo of it from one of my hikes, but unfortunately, that SD card is corrupt.

Andys

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:03 AM

Elliott Dexter / Carrie Jacobs-Bond

Thank you e_r. The historic image is excellent. The Carrie Jacobs-Bond/Elliot Dexter home looks as though it's been badly abused in the intervening years. Too many nonsensical remodels.

ETA:

Now I'm curious as to when and why Dexter (1870-1941) took over the Jacobs-Bond (1862-1946) house. The two were close contemporaries and he predeceased her:

find a grave

daily mirror

The Daily Mirror has a good bio of Jacobs-Bond. It notes Jacobs-Bond "died at home". I wish they'd said where they got the historic image of the house and the info about Dexter owning it.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 28, 2018 at 4:29 AM. Reason: ETA

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
I love Echo Park!

When I was a kid, Echo Park wasn’t really the kind of place that you’d want your kid to play. However, I decided to have my lunch there one day last year, and lo and behold! Groups of friendly people were sitting around picnicking. It’s really nice to see the place being used by people again - it’s a beautiful park!
Yeah, my grandmother bailed out of the neighborhood in 1971-72 and moved near us in Anaheim.

The area has bounced back nicely, and as you picnicked you were only a couple of blocks from the stairs where Laurel and Hardy filmed The Music Box!

And for an historical/noir connection (I may have mentioned this in an earlier post). The retiring Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese, J. Jon Bruno, was an investor in Taix Restaurant up the street from Echo Park on Sunset, through his sister (if I remember right). He was also a police officer before he became a priest and shot the man who killed his partner. Not your typical shy cleric!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Don't know why, but as soon as I saw the pix, I said, "Oh, yeah--Golden Bear Tours."

Here's the only reference to Golden Bear Tours I could find in a quick check of the Los Angeles Times; but the time is right. I probably saw the busses myself when the family would visit Hollywood.

LA Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.
The obituary makes me think of something I read somewhere sometime (vague? What do you mean, I'm vague?), to wit that Europeans ask who your family is, Americans ask what you do.

Here's 2045 Kenilworth Avenue, in the Silver Lake area, his address at time of death:

gsv

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
mystery buses.

ebay

I believe the film playing at Grauman's Chinese Theatre is THE YOUNG DOCTORS. It starred Frederic March, Ben Gazzara, Dick Clark, Eddie Albert and George Segal, among others. It played for 7 weeks from Wednesday, August 30, 1961 - Tuesday, October 17, 1961. (It was followed by Breakfast at Tiffany's, 8 weeks, and then West Side Story, 57 weeks!)

http://graumanschinese.org/1961.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I believe the film playing at Grauman's Chinese Theatre is THE YOUNG DOCTORS. It starred Frederic March, Ben Gazzara, Dick Clark, Eddie Albert and George Segal, among others. It played for 7 weeks from Wednesday, August 30, 1961 - Tuesday, October 17, 1961. (It was followed by Breakfast at Tiffany's, 8 weeks, and then West Side Story, 57 weeks!)

http://graumanschinese.org/1961.html
And now Spielberg plans to remake West Side Story. The mind reels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos