HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Very interesting, e_r.

I got distracted by the courtyard houses opposite the Ardmore Mansion. This is 1038 and 1042 S Ardmore Avenue...

I just now saw your post Hoss. I somehow missed it earlier (probably the same time I missed that Santa Monica Ticket Office photo )

I too was distracted by the courtyard apartments. They're so unique and so..well...L.A. I'd bet good money that they've been used as a location in a film.

It's such a shame the middle section was allowed to be demolished in 1974.
(to be honest, I had only noticed 1038 & 1042 / I didn't see 1052 further down the street)
___

I am really surprised no one has been able to locate an early photograph of the old Ardmore Mansion. It's as if it never existed.

Here it is once more.....many years removed from it's glory days

"The Trip", circa 1967......1039 S. Ardmore Avenue

I really doubt that Valentino actually lived there, even though two different sources claim that he did.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2016 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:16 AM

Speaking of junkies, an addendum to my post above—327, before its demolition, had some pretty unsavory boarders...well, sort of, at least the local kids were kept in Zagnuts and Mallow Bars!

LA Times, Feb 19, 1933, via Proquest

And here's an image showing 327 along its side in 1913:

USC

Last edited by Beaudry; May 26, 2016 at 7:26 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:08 PM

Interesting shot...

I don't think we've seen this before...

Looking west on Sunset Boulevard from the Lugo House balcony, ca.1948

Arched roofline of Bozzani is clearly seen at Broadway. This may well be Marchessault Street and not Sunset. Amid the changing street names and reassigned roadways of the 40s and 50s, my '46-'47 map shows Sunset ending up there at N Broadway (at Bozzani's) with this being Marchessault coming on down to Union Station and Bellevue forking off to the left at Broadway and running over to Macy Street.

<a href="https://twitter.com/lawildwest" rel="nofollow">twitter.com/lawildwest</a>

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:28 PM

Thanks for the clarification Wig Wag and Ed Workman. (on the abrupt end of streetcar tracks)

I've been trying to find another photograph that shows tracks ending in the same manner, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I also thought there must be a photograph somewhere that shows a P.E. or LaRy streetcar that has accidentally over-run the end of the track.
-but again, I haven't had much luck finding any such photograph.
(and I'm not talking about that iconic photo of the train that overshot the end of the track at Union Station)
__

I found this interesting image in a very old file of mine.

I had it labeled:

"Complete Mystery Bridge, Los Angeles 1909" lol

old cd / file of mine

Does anyone know where this particular bridge is (was?) located....and where the houses were located that you see in the distance?
(and it appears the photographer was standing on yet another bridge!)

Here's a detail & enlargement.

Is that a person in a white shirt bending over by that first streetlight? (from this angle, it looks like the bridge isn't paved yet)

(perhaps we've seen this image previously on NLA, but I wasn't able to find it)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:35 PM

Here's another...

'mystery' location.

old file (before I kept

I can't place that tower in the distance.......the one to the left of the streetcar.

Could it be St. Vibiana's?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I had it labeled:

old cd / file of mine

Does anyone know where this particular bridge is (was?) located....and where were the houses that you see in the distance located?

Is that a person in a white shirt bending over by that first streetlight?

__

I believe this is the Macy Street bridge east of the river. It can be seen here...

Looking east from the City Hall tower, 1952

Looking into Boyle Heights, before the freeway reached the San Bernardino/Santa Ana interchange. We're looking down on the Maier Brewery (with its signal product 'Brew 102'
prominently displayed) and the seemingly ageless Friedman Bag Company with the surrounding traffic patterns in flux.
Apparently eastbound traffic was being channeled out Commercial Street and then over to Aliso where, lo and behold,
a traffic signal is controlling traffic at Vignes. Wow, got to be the last years for this to work. Just beyond the Aliso Viaduct
you can just make out Mission Road passing under the viaduct and see the San Bernardino fork pass under
the Macy Street/Brooklyn Avenue viaduct. Great, busy image with lot of detail.

USC digital archive/Dick Whittington Photography Collection, 1924-1987

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:43 PM

I believe you're correct Michael_Ryerson.

Thanks for your help and the very interesting information. It's much appreciated!

__

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Wig Wag and Ed Workman. (on the abrupt end of streetcar tracks)

I've been trying to find another photograph that shows tracks ending in the same manner, but I haven't had any luck yet.

I also thought there must be a photograph somewhere that shows a P.E. or LaRy streetcar that has accidentally over-run the end of the track.
(and I'm not talking about that iconic photo of the train that overshot the end of the track at Union Station)
__

I had it labeled:

old cd / file of mine

Does anyone know where this particular bridge is (was?) located....and where the houses were located that you see in the distance?

Is that a person in a white shirt bending over by that first streetlight? (from this angle, it looks like the bridge isn't paved yet)

__

with the hills in the background it looks like the santa fe line through south pasadena next to the Memorial building. I use to have my daily donut from winchells across fair oaks on the bridge and watch the gold line pass under me..but if memory serves me ..the santa fe was a one track line.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Here's another...

'mystery' location.

old file (before I kept

I can't place that tower in the distance.......the one to the left of the streetcar.

Could it be St. Vibiana's?
I found a smaller version of your picture on uncanny.net. Their caption says:
At Olympic & Hooper the line entered a private right of way paralleling Long Beach Ave. At that point the yard leads from 8th Street freight yard joined. According to P. Allen Copeland, this point was called "Oscar's Junction" by PE crews (after PE president Oscar Smith). In the following photo (from "Pacific Electric in color volume 1") the tracks curving to the right are the yard leads to 8th Street freight yard.
They also have the picture below with the following caption:
8th Street yard served the main L.A. wholesale produce market and the Pacific Electric freight station. These facilities are shown in the following aerial photo from the 1930s. The three large parallel structures are the Union Terminal warehouses. The right-most warehouse in the row of Union Terminal warehouses was the main warehouse for the Broadway department store chain until 1952.

The wholesale produce terminal is the rectangular series of 3-story buildings above the Union Terminal warehouses. The gas holding tank (no longer existing) of the former Loew Gas Works is top right. The street running diagonally on the left of the photo is 8th Street.

www.uncanny.net

The mystery tower can be seen in the center near the top.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Remember the Harper House Apartments that I posted on Tuesday? Well, Julius Shulman also photographed the building next door (on the right of the picture above). This is "Job 5527: Jason and Irene Reese, El Pasadero (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1978".

The other black & white shot shows a little of the Harper House Apartments.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The apartments look much the same today.

GSV

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:23 PM

I'm so glad that survived. What a beautiful building!

Oh my, I really like that aerial Hoss. I don't believe we've discussed that gas-o-meter (visible on the right, and in the color photo) as thoroughly as the ones further north.

& thanks for pointing out my 'mystery' tower.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 26, 2016 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:

__

Here is an example, although it is not as illustrative as it might be from another angle. Per the maps and at least one 1948 aerial, La Brea was, as the Traveling Wilbury's might say, "The end of the line." Evidently no barriers, other than lack of track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

This seems to be a view of the La Brea and Third Street intersection, facing west on Third. Some things seem to match up, others do not. The structure bearing the name "Majestic" resembles eastern side of the the Trader Joe's facing La Brea, depicted here: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=10721 But the silhouettes of the surrounding structures to the west and northwest are unfamiliar. If my general bearings are correct, some of the mystery silhouettes belonged to a Catholic Seminary (Los Angeles Jr. Seminary) that later became Daniel Murphy High School. The Original structure was built in 1926 and due to seismic challenges, a new replacement was constructed in 1966. http://www.noblealumni.com/about.html

If you look to the bottom right of the aerial, a the light colored roof of a street car may actually be visible at this terminus.

Something you and CBD mentioned in earlier posts was "safety zones." http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=29033 FWIW, a 1937 Porky Pig cartoon, titled "Picador Porky" lampooned this very subject. http://likelylooneymostlymerrie.blog...orky-1937.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uW6VfWIRd1...cadorporky.bmp

1936 - First Congregational Church on 6th Street
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics32/00065640.jpg

A diagram Baron Von Richtophen might understand?

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics29/00049371.jpg

https://www.kcet.org/sites/kl/files/...561_bcc5_o.jpg

Undated 'Electric car W enroute to Highland Park via Avenue 50 and York Boulevard"
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00006/00006805.jpg

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:42 PM

HossC, did Shulman photograph any other places on Harper Ave.? Particularly the Villa Primavera apartments?
(Nicholas Rey lived there and the courtyard of the apartment building in the film In a Lonely Place, was fashioned
after it.)

The whole area on Harper Ave. North of Fountain is designated:

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:49 PM

Thanks for the end-of-line photograph(s) tourmaline!

'mystery' location.

I didn't think this view was all that interesting, until I noticed the 'Bowling' sign beneath the Herald Examiner billboard.

old file of mine

Anyone have an idea where this was taken?
_

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:00 PM

posted by tourmaline

lapl

I really love this photograph t.
__

below: original 1947 glass negative for sale.

Postal Car attached to Pacific Electric Red Car [no location given]

eBay
__

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:03 PM

I haven't really followed the conversation so...

Sorry if you've already considered this example of end-of-the-line trackage..

Looking west on Colorado Boulevard at Townsend, Eagle Rock, 1948

eBay via NLA e-r

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:17 PM

That's a really clear view of one....I had forgotten all about it. Thanks Michael_Ryerson

original negative.

"1954 Santa Fe Oil Tank Train Los Angeles'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-195...YAAOSwbPxXQQZv

information written on negative sleeve by amateur photographer

Just for fun, a closer look at that back-alley on the right.

detail

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:54 PM

Here's an aerial view of the gasometers from the same year as the photograph.

Quote:

Here's a view from 1954, and it looks like there were two large, cylindrical structures on S St Andrews Place, just above W 60th Street. Both are gone by 1972, although the outline of where the lower one once stood can still be made out. BTW, I use HA without Silverlight and it usually works fine for me.

Historic Aerials
Z W Wray's Sash and Door company was at 6006 S Wilton Place, which is close to the lower left corner of the image above.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

HossC, did Shulman photograph any other places on Harper Ave.? Particularly the Villa Primavera apartments?
(Nicholas Rey lived there and the courtyard of the apartment building in the film In a Lonely Place, was fashioned
after it.)
Julius Shulman did photograph the Villa Primavera, but this is the only picture that the Getty Research Institute has. Maybe there's more on another site. The description says "Photographs taken for the book Courtyard Housing in Los Angeles, in collaboration with University of Southern California faculty Stephanos Polyzoides." I believe Beaudry has a copy - it's on pages 66-69.

"Job 5526: Arthur and Nina Zwebell, Villa Primavera (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1978".

Getty Research Institute

A quick search didn't yield any other Shulman photographs of Harper Avenue, but maybe there are some that don't have their address in the description. I'll keep an eye out.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Time for a nice cool drink of lemonade

Sunny day in LA...probably mid August. Parking lot full of boiling hot cars. Sad old apartment building sitting all alone on a sandy hill...waiting for its last day. Street car...slowly makes its way across town..

LAPL posted by Tourmaline and ER.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos