HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:58 PM

X3 for liking the brick.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Is that true or is that just an assumption? There's nothing wrong with buildings giving a nod to their context.

I like the brick. It's a subtle but effective way of integrating two very different architectural styles.
I can't pinpoint the exact policy but there are mentions of complementarity, compatibility, etc. throughout Halifax's planning policies. Design-wise a nod to context can be done in many different ways. I personally believe that the most appropriate are scale, lines an the way buildings interact with the street similarly. Juxtaposition of old and new styles and materials can be a very good way to highlight the importance of historic architecture but I don't think that works very well within the same building in this case. I find it jarring. I like the contrasts with the neighbouring buildings though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one does appear to be coming together. I think what I actually like about the facade is that it's broken up, not necessarily that red brick was used for part of it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
This building is a great little project. I hope they find tenants quickly, especially retail on the ground floor.
The one element that I don't like is the brick above the entry. This was clearly done to conform with some ridiculous design standard that suggests that modern buildings next to heritage properties should display some compatible or complementary materials. Instead of "tying in" to the fabric of the block as such policies intend, it ends up looking like an amateurish mistake.
I agree in theory... often trying to tie in to existing heritage fabric results in chintzy weirdo design moves that read as ill-considered.

I do not agree in the result here: I think it's a lovely little building that looks nice on its own, and raises the appeal of its somewhat dilapidated neighbours. In particular, I think the brick works well as a texture (hand-sized units arranged together) next to the smooth planes of glass - something I don't think more glass or another monolithic cladding would provide.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I agree in theory... often trying to tie in to existing heritage fabric results in chintzy weirdo design moves that read as ill-considered.

I do not agree in the result here: I think it's a lovely little building that looks nice on its own, and raises the appeal of its somewhat dilapidated neighbours. In particular, I think the brick works well as a texture (hand-sized units arranged together) next to the smooth planes of glass - something I don't think more glass or another monolithic cladding would provide.
Exactly, it's not a fussy faux-heritage design flourish, like some fake dormers or doric columns. Instead it's a very subtle extension of the neighbouring brick wall, in colour and massing, that sort of fades into the new building. It looks very contemporary, while indicating that this is a developer/architect who's trying to tie his building harmoniously into the existing block.

It's thoughtful architecture that gains more every time you look at it. We need more of it in this town! I'm a staunch defender of Barrington as a heritage district, but this building is a great shot of contemporary architecture to contrast all the old buildings with. I think it turned out better than the renderings, even.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:05 PM

I'm beyond thrilled that the concrete wall outside this building that made Barrington super narrow is finally gone! I suspect this means the exterior is largely done and interior work will continue.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:22 PM

Exterior construction appears to now be complete.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 6:05 PM

Cool, looks great

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 9:32 PM
we built this city

Very nice!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:19 PM
Urban Thinker

A perfect infill project! I hope that a retail tenant moves in soon.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
A perfect infill project! I hope that a retail tenant moves in soon.
Is it retail?

It looks to me, like it could be a really cool office space for a startup, something like that.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:01 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Is it retail?

It looks to me, like it could be a really cool office space for a startup, something like that.
The ground floor is being marketed as retail space, with office space occupying the upper floors.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 7:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Might as well repost this one. I think this new building really adds to the streetscape. When the NFB Building is done and the Tramway building is restored the two blocks on the left will be pretty much perfect, at least architecturally.

The extra floors on TD make a difference too.

Source

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:45 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:06 PM
armchairitect

i think this one is done. perhaps one of the mods can flip the thread to completed.

You can View the whole progress of this project at http://1592.builthalifax.ca/

I have one more post to do. Im going to attempt to close it out, buy re-producing the rendering when (if) the snow is gone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Nice pic! Shows how well it blends in while also providing contrast with the adjacent heritage properties, a really nice mix of new and old.

And infinitely better than the old rundown TipTop building that it replaced.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Nice pic! Shows how well it blends in while also providing contrast with the adjacent heritage properties, a really nice mix of new and old.

And infinitely better than the old rundown TipTop building that it replaced.
Thanks! In different lighting it looks even better. It's hard to capture the pure glass railing on the roof, but it adds an extra layer of detail. As does all the wood work in the lobby.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:32 PM

This poor thing is still vacant. Sigh

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
When the Roy and Maple are done, it'll get filled.

I just hope little businesses like the Old Apothecary Bakery will survive until then. What a great little place!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think the entire thing is vacant. I seem to recall seeing furniture in the windows of the upper two or three floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth