HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 3:56 PM

My old city (Hamilton) has some of the best, I'll post post a few shots of Dundas for now.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 7:16 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Dundas is actually older than Hamilton, isn't it?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 7:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
My old city (Hamilton) has some of the best, I'll post post a few shots of Dundas for now.

Very nice!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 7:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
There are some much better looking suburbs than these, although Senneville has some charm.

Tunstall Avenue in Senneville:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...e7b496f9464139
I used to work here (long, long time ago): https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4124...yBHMcJJ0wA!2e0

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 9:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I have been to all those places (lived in Steveston for 4 years, and I have worked in Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, New Westminster, and Vancouver). Maple Ridge is nothing to write home about, but the other places have their charms.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Maple Ridge is nothing to write home about, but the other places have their charms.
From purely an urban planning/architectural standpoint, I would obviously agree, and I suppose that's probably the point of this thread.

But if you like the forest and mountains, lakes, farms, etc. then Maple Ridge is a nice place. The Golden Ears area is particularly gorgeous:

Source: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4144/4...808a443e_z.jpg

Source: https://s3.amazonaws.com/storage.fil...ge/11889229/15

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaPhysicality View Post
Haha ya that's about the distance you have to be from Maple Ridge for it to look good!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Haha ya that's about the distance you have to be from Maple Ridge for it to look good!
LOL well I'm from the prairies. I think West Coasters are a little bit naive about what an ugly suburb looks like.

I come from this:

Source: http://www.leaderpost.com/cms/binary/10765273.jpg

And just so you know, there aren't any beautiful mountains or lush forests outside of the frame

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 10:32 PM

I think New Westminster has a lot of potential. Small and confined to its little sliver of land as it is an older city, a nice main street that is seeing a revival and a great stock of old 100+ year old homes. In a few years I could see it being a very urban little suburb. The transit connections help.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Maple Ridge being my hometown, I have a soft spot for it, the downtown area has improved a lot over the last 10 years, and there are a few great local restaurants (including the best pizza shop in Metro-Vancouver IMO).

The greatness of Maple Ridge is the mountains and lakes (I grey up on a farm next to them). Summers were always the best, floating down the rivers (such as Gold Creek and Alouette River) and of course spending the afternoons at North Beach on Alouette Lake, best swimming spot on Metro-Vancouver. The golfing was always great as well. Kanaka Creek is another gem.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I think New Westminster has a lot of potential. Small and confined to its little sliver of land as it is an older city, a nice main street that is seeing a revival and a great stock of old 100+ year old homes. In a few years I could see it being a very urban little suburb. The transit connections help.
New West definitely has the best "urban bones" of any Vancouver suburb.

The downside to New West though is the lack of nature compared to other Lower Mainland municipalities. It's not like you can easily walk/bike from your house towards wilderness trails or a beach. It doesn't really have mountain views either. Those things might be insignificant to the pure urbanists on this forum, but for others, New West is missing out on a lot of what makes BC great.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 11:38 PM

I'm confused. Is New West a suburb? It's its own city. So is North Vancouver (Lower Lonsdale), West Vancouver (Dundarave), Richmond (Steveston). Are we talking about mainly residential? Because I'm not actually sure if that's what defines a suburb. Then Coquitlam has Westwood Plateau, West Vancouver has the British Properties, etc. I just find this harder to define at least in the Vancouver context. Vancouver's Point Grey, Marpole, Kerrisdale -- are these considered Vancouver neighbourhoods or Vancouver suburbs?

If we're talking about Metro Vancouver, which areas are by definition suburbs, and which are not?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:23 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
I'm confused. Is New West a suburb? It's its own city. So is North Vancouver (Lower Lonsdale), West Vancouver (Dundarave), Richmond (Steveston). Are we talking about mainly residential? Because I'm not actually sure if that's what defines a suburb. Then Coquitlam has Westwood Plateau, West Vancouver has the British Properties, etc. I just find this harder to define at least in the Vancouver context. Vancouver's Point Grey, Marpole, Kerrisdale -- are these considered Vancouver neighbourhoods or Vancouver suburbs?

If we're talking about Metro Vancouver, which areas are by definition suburbs, and which are not?
I generally think of "Vancouver" as the city, and everything else as the suburbs. But you do run into problems that way. South Burnaby, New Westminster and North Surrey have a lot more of the typical gritty, inner city look than Arbutus Ridge does, which looks more like a 3rd ring suburb. But in general, I think people mean "outside the city proper" when they say suburb.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
I'm confused. Is New West a suburb? It's its own city. So is North Vancouver (Lower Lonsdale), West Vancouver (Dundarave), Richmond (Steveston). Are we talking about mainly resdential? Because I'm not actually sure if that's what defines a suburb. Then Coquitlam has Westwood Plateau, West Vancouver has the British Properties, etc. I just find this harder to define at least in the Vancouver context. Vancouver's Point Grey, Marpole, Kerrisdale -- are these considered Vancouver neighbourhoods or Vancouver suburbs?

Point Grey, Kerrisdale, etc are neighbourhoods of the City of Vancouver. Surrey, Coquitlam, Richmond, New West, etc are suburbs and are their own municipalities and likely have their own neighbourhoods. At least that seems to be the most common conception. I don't think that I have ever heard someone call Kitsilano or Point Grey a suburb.

Last edited by csbvan; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Dundas is actually older than Hamilton, isn't it?
And New Westminster is older than Vancouver.

How about West Van? More tacky or tasteful?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:

The downside to New West though is the lack of nature compared to other Lower Mainland municipalities. It's not like you can easily walk/bike from your house towards wilderness trails or a beach. It doesn't really have mountain views either. Those things might be insignificant to the pure urbanists on this forum, but for others, New West is missing out on a lot of what makes BC great.
That is true. I suppose after living here for long enough we take the nature for granted. We are so used to the accessibility of the mountains and nature that we don't consider it as being quite as much of a selling point as someone newer to the region.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Senneville and Laval-sur-Lac.... seriously? They are rich and all, but definitely not the best looking. They are more-or-less semi-rural areas dotted with Mega McMansions on huge lots... As the pictures show.
I guess I sort of misunderstood the critera... I was looking at it more from an owner's perspective. And if you are rich and enjoy the waterfront they really are great areas. Really peaceful.

If we're going by charm alone I'd say Saint-Anne-de-Bellevue, Beaconsfield in Montreal . Old Rosemère in Laval...

Come to think of it attractive outer suburbs REALLY isn't a strong suit for the Greater Montreal area and even beyond...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:04 AM

Quote:

New West is trying its darndest to really make use of its waterfront. There are now even beach volleyball areas!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 5:38 AM

Geography-wise West Vancouver has to be the best in the country. Architecturally a mixed bag.

From http://www.theangellgroup.com/listings they have some truly amazing listings, better buy my LottoMax ticket!

[IMG][/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada