HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:05 PM
Back from the dead

Seem to have missed this one so I'll post it.
It's in Winnipeg (St. Boniface to be precise) I grew up with it so never really gave it much thought but it is still unique. Built in '68.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:46 PM

I don't know that it was "weird", but Kitchener's old water tower (1923) was a key feature of the Downtown "skyline" until it was taken down in 2011. I remember how odd it felt the first time I looked over to Cedar Hill to see that the familiar feature was no longer there.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^The Dolly Parton Building (or the great tits of Kitchener) is the weirdest building in the four-headed monster.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^The Dolly Parton Building (or the great tits of Kitchener) is the weirdest building in the four-headed monster.
Yeah, I could see it being on the short list.

By the way, "four-headed monster"? Never heard that before. Are you lumping Guelph in with the tri-cities? We don't generally do that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
What a shame.

Sometimes....
I hate Laval.

For some reasons.
almost as bad as that ubiquitous Houston 1980s shot that some forumers have tried to have banned from SSP.

Here it is:

On second thought, the Laval shots are worse. At least Houston has some cool skyscrapers. Laval has perhaps the world's ugliest condo tower.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Yeah, I could see it being on the short list.

By the way, "four-headed monster"? Never heard that before. Are you lumping Guelph in with the tri-cities? We don't generally do that.
I am indeed. This came about a few years ago when Waterlooinvestor was going bonkers with his Waterloo boosterism. It was pointed out that Guelph was growing into KWC, and that soon the whole thing would be some massive multinodal urban blob. I am not dissing KWC & G; London ain't much better (and in fact, is barely growing at all).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am indeed. This came about a few years ago when Waterlooinvestor was going bonkers with his Waterloo boosterism. It was pointed out that Guelph was growing into KWC, and that soon the whole thing would be some massive multinodal urban blob. I am not dissing KWC & G; London ain't much better (and in fact, is barely growing at all).
With K-W emphasizing development within the existing urban boundaries (Guelph too, I would hope), I don't see that happening. Although the recent development of suburbs out in Breslau across the Grand from Kitchener does bring that a step closer, I suppose. And the new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph won't help (what will we be, perhaps 15 minutes drive apart?).

By the way, at the risk of being boosterish myself, K-W doesn't think much about London anymore, if it ever did. The energy levels here are far higher. The latest focus in K-W is the future of "Midtown", a two kilometre stretch along King St between Downtown (K) and Uptown (W). Much redevelopment and intensification is foreseen with LRT running down King from 2017.

Sorry, I've strayed off-topic. Maybe the "Midtown" developments will include something weird!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:24 PM

The arena at Dalhousie, which sadly was recently demolished, was kinda weird:

(image source)

Also in Halifax: the new central library, presently under construction:

(Image source: Schmidt Hammer Lassen architects)

(source: user kph06 in Halifax section)

Nakasuk elementary school, Iqaluit

(image source)

The very special, fascinating University of Toronto at Scarborough:

(image source)

Last edited by alps; Jun 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:59 PM
not a NIMBY

The name and the building are a little weird

LocalMotive Crossing by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I have always found this building weird. It looks like it was something important at one time but it isn't that old. It is located in the Highfield industrial area but stands out from the one storey warehouse neighbours. Not much to see looking in the windows, just one big empty space.

Calgary Archives by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:44 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
LocalMotive Crossing by LUMIN8, on Flickr

I have always found this building weird. It looks like it was something important at one time but it isn't that old. It is located in the Highfield industrial area but stands out from the one storey warehouse neighbours. Not much to see looking in the windows, just one big empty space.

Calgary Archives by LUMIN8, on Flickr
Nice finds Jimby. I know both buildings and find them both weird. The one in Highfield especially. I thought it had some connection to the power station nearby? Then again I think I've seen it advertising office space before. Either way, it looks like a haunted house in an industrial park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:13 PM

[QUOTE=alps;6155226]

Nakasuk elementary school, Iqaluit

(image source)

QUOTE]

That is the aquatic centre. The high School is the Blue building to the left in this photo. they are similar.

The Coast Guard Building is also similar to the Aquatic Centre
The design has started for the New Aquatic Centre. Should be out for Tender late this year and Construction starting next fall.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:41 PM

A couple from Halifax:

A house at Inglis and Victoria:

Source

Life Sciences Centre at Dal:

Source

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:24 PM

Life Sciences Centre at Dalhousie is a great choice, it's a crazy scifi maze in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
That is the aquatic centre. The high School is the Blue building to the left in this photo. they are similar.

The Coast Guard Building is also similar to the Aquatic Centre
The design has started for the New Aquatic Centre. Should be out for Tender late this year and Construction starting next fall.
Are you sure? If you enlarge the photo on Flickr the sign appears to say "Nakasuk elementary school" and if you google that you get loads of images of the same building.

Last edited by alps; Jun 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:39 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Waterloo - Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fadingt...9MT41X-82gxN3/
[IMG][/IMG]
The other side of the building:
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8454960...-b8vuUg-e74FFU
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:49 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Life Sciences Centre at Dalhousie is a great choice, it's a crazy scifi maze in there!

Are you sure? If you enlarge the photo on Flickr the sign appears to say "Nakasuk elementary school" and if you google that you get loads of images of the same building.
When I last tried googling the Yukon provincial parliament you get pictures of the NWT's one.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
When I last tried googling the Yukon provincial parliament you get pictures of the NWT's one.
Well, the old swimming pool appears to be in the Astro Hill complex so I am quite sure what I posted is the Nakasuk school.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:05 PM
sick transit, gloria

The white building is the elementary school and the blue the high school. I have been in both oddly enough! Unless of course they have retrofit the elementary school since I have been up to Iqaluit, which is a possibility.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Yes it does, though the second is only about 10 storeys tall. https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=12+ave...58.45,,0,-1.45
thread of the year, btw. i lived on the 31st floor of Bromley Square Apartments - . nice view's to the south west. loved the glass elevator.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:22 PM

A couple of these buildings belong on a "spectacular" building thread more than a thread devoted to weird buildings. Specifically I'm thinking of the new Halifax Central Library and the Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics in Waterloo. Wish we had a lot more like them.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A couple of these buildings belong on a "spectacular" building thread more than a thread devoted to weird buildings. Specifically I'm thinking of the new Halifax Central Library and the Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics in Waterloo. Wish we had a lot more like them.
Agreed. Those two exemples are not weird at all, they're just inventive and original.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada