HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
The Ronstadt and the parking lot to the north and the railroad property north of that ALL have so much potential. The right development on these properties could be the centerpiece of downtown development! Its also a chance to make something thats a real standout, something with character. Retail, Public Space, plenty of pedestrian area, Residential, Good spot for highrise. I really hope they do something right here, because it could be something great. But.. i wont get my hopes up lol.

Im imagining something like a smaller scale City Creek Center in Salt Lake City

Sadly Anqrew, I think La Placita is (was?) suppose to be Tucson's version of a City Creek Center. In concept, La Placita is a good thing...however, it just hasn't worked out. It wouldn't bother me if a developer bought the land and started over. The accessiblity from building to building is just terrible.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Sadly Anqrew, I think La Placita is (was?) suppose to be Tucson's version of a City Creek Center. In concept, La Placita is a good thing...however, it just hasn't worked out. It wouldn't bother me if a developer bought the land and started over. The accessiblity from building to building is just terrible.
I don't think La Placita is salvageable. You're right, the building access is terrible, the buildings themselves are awful, and the interiors are low and tight. The color has made it a bit of a landmark, but the dated design and labyrinthine layout is a killer. It also doesn't really flow into the surrounding areas - it's more of a fortress.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 7:14 PM
Tucsonan

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/artic...od-association

The Junction at Iron Horse focuses on working with neighbors

The developers of an off-campus student housing complex have agreed to numerous changes based on urging by the Iron Horse Neighborhood Association.

The Junction at Iron Horse, a student housing complex, will now offer 232 beds instead of 297.

The complex will be four stories tall, not five, and it will not include balconies on several-street-facing sides of the complex. Developers will also construct a basketball court that will be constructed in Iron Horse Park and refurbish Empire Market and Empire Laundry.

Construction is estimated to begin this summer, Lazarus Silvyn said. The developers are still waiting to receive the building permits from the city.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 9:43 PM

Indianapolis Building First Empty-Ballpark Apartments

Check out this re-use of an old baseball stadium in Indianapolis.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/...partments.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 12:56 AM

Talks Start over Future of Ronstadt Transit Center, Possible Commercial Development

Full article: http://azbex.com/talks-start-over-fu...-development/#

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/artic...od-association

The Junction at Iron Horse focuses on working with neighbors

The developers of an off-campus student housing complex have agreed to numerous changes based on urging by the Iron Horse Neighborhood Association.

The Junction at Iron Horse, a student housing complex, will now offer 232 beds instead of 297.

The complex will be four stories tall, not five, and it will not include balconies on several-street-facing sides of the complex. Developers will also construct a basketball court that will be constructed in Iron Horse Park and refurbish Empire Market and Empire Laundry.

Construction is estimated to begin this summer, Lazarus Silvyn said. The developers are still waiting to receive the building permits from the city.
Good news. Four floors is fine in that neighborhood. The infill is what's important. I think the Empire Market renovation was part of the previous agreement but, as I've thought all along, fixing the exterior won't make that a valuable business unless other changes are made as well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:43 AM

Page 16 of the current Zocalo has an article about the "Centers and Street Corners" art exhibition that will be showing in the space next to Sparkroot over the next few weeks.

The interesting part is the blurb from Scott Stiteler about eight businesses opening at the corner of 5th and Congress this spring. Of course, we know about Proper, Diablo Burger, Good Oak, and the co-work space on the second floor of the Rialto Block. New info pertains to a butcher opening somewhere at that corner as well as three other businesses by my count.

He may be counting Saint House, which technically isn't at that corner and isn't opening this spring, but that still leaves two mysteries.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:55 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Page 16 of the current Zocalo has an article about the "Centers and Street Corners" art exhibition that will be showing in the space next to Sparkroot over the next few weeks.

The interesting part is the blurb from Scott Stiteler about eight businesses opening at the corner of 5th and Congress this spring. Of course, we know about Proper, Diablo Burger, Good Oak, and the co-work space on the second floor of the Rialto Block. New info pertains to a butcher opening somewhere at that corner as well as three other businesses by my count.

He may be counting Saint House, which technically isn't at that corner and isn't opening this spring, but that still leaves two mysteries.

probably one of them is the spot between Hub and Playground... also the front corner of Sainthouse has a spot for retail so maybe that counts...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 10:14 PM

It's exciting to not only watch the continuing progress of Level on the UEB Web Cam, but watching the rebar for the Hub rise out of the ground.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:25 AM

Quote:

The chef/owner of Proper would be opening the Butcher's shop, which is planned to go in between Proper and Diablo Burger, but I don't believe a lease has been signed yet. The co-working space, known as Connect, will also occupy the first floor tenant space directly south of Proper (in addition to the entire second floor).

One of the two "mysteries" is going to be going public VERY soon, and it does involve the tenant space between Playground and HUB as Anqrew mentioned. I can not disclose the name, but I can say that it will be a restaurant, and that it is an INCREDIBLE get for Tucson. This tenant will really cement 5th ave. and Congress as one of the premiere restaurant districts in Arizona if not the southwest. As far as I know, the lease documents are just finishing up and we should be seeing a public announcement in the next week or so.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGNR7 View Post
The chef/owner of Proper would be opening the Butcher's shop, which is planned to go in between Proper and Diablo Burger, but I don't believe a lease has been signed yet. The co-working space, known as Connect, will also occupy the first floor tenant space directly south of Proper (in addition to the entire second floor).

One of the two "mysteries" is going to be going public VERY soon, and it does involve the tenant space between Playground and HUB as Anqrew mentioned. I can not disclose the name, but I can say that it will be a restaurant, and that it is an INCREDIBLE get for Tucson. This tenant will really cement 5th ave. and Congress as one of the premiere restaurant districts in Arizona if not the southwest. As far as I know, the lease documents are just finishing up and we should be seeing a public announcement in the next week or so.
Wow. Great first post and welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see what the announcement is.

To add to the awesomeness of this area, World of Beer just signed a lease in The Cadence and plans to open in November.

http://www.franchising.com/news/2013...in_downto.html

It's a chain, yeah, but their commitment to craft beer is second to none among the craft beer chain concepts. I would prefer this over Yard House or Flying Saucer (which doesn't exist on the West Coast anyway) every day of the week.

On the beer front, Tap & Bottle finally got their building permit and are currently building out their space at 403 N. 6th. I feel comfortable saying that these are very different concepts and neither should suffer due to the other.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:40 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGNR7 View Post

I must be psychic, . But yeah that spot between Hub and PG is pretty coveted so it must be something great! Cant wait to find out, are you involved in Downtown Development, how'd you know this information?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:32 AM

So, some information about possible businesses moving into the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. This document (dated February 19, 2013) shows the plans for 3 new buildings to be built there. One is labeled 'SHOPS H', and has a Mattress Firm and a Great Clips, which will take up a little over 5,000 square feet, with room for more businesses with a total of a little over 4,000 square feet. This building is pretty close to the Costco. Another building is 'SHOPS B3', but they don't show any businesses for it yet. This building is right by the Walmart. The final building, 'SHOPS A2' is just east of the new McDonald's. This building has a Sprint store and a Sports Clips taking up a combined 4,200 square feet, with another 2,400 square feet of space available. Now, these all say they are subject to change, but this is great news. New buildings finally being built out there and new businesses too. Lets hope they start building the hotel, Bio-Science labs and offices, and houses out there sometime soon too.

This site (McGraw Hill Construction) says that "Tucson Marketplace PH3 (3 Shops) @ the Bridges (NEGOTIATED)" was bid upon or signed, I'm not sure. It says the Bid Ends on 2/22/13, that it's new retail, it's 20,000 square feet, 3 buildings (like I described above) and the project was added on 2/20/13.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
So, some information about possible businesses moving into the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. This document (dated February 19, 2013) shows the plans for 3 new buildings to be built there. One is labeled 'SHOPS H', and has a Mattress Firm and a Great Clips, which will take up a little over 5,000 square feet, with room for more businesses with a total of a little over 4,000 square feet. This building is pretty close to the Costco. Another building is 'SHOPS B3', but they don't show any businesses for it yet. This building is right by the Walmart. The final building, 'SHOPS A2' is just east of the new McDonald's. This building has a Sprint store and a Sports Clips taking up a combined 4,200 square feet, with another 2,400 square feet of space available. Now, these all say they are subject to change, but this is great news. New buildings finally being built out there and new businesses too. Lets hope they start building the hotel, Bio-Science labs and offices, and houses out there sometime soon too.

This site (McGraw Hill Construction) says that "Tucson Marketplace PH3 (3 Shops) @ the Bridges (NEGOTIATED)" was bid upon or signed, I'm not sure. It says the Bid Ends on 2/22/13, that it's new retail, it's 20,000 square feet, 3 buildings (like I described above) and the project was added on 2/20/13.
The Shops H building is under construction. I posted about it a while back but we didn't know what was going in it, so this is a good update. I'd bet that Great Clips and Sports Clips are under the same ownership so that's why they're both in the same development. This is good news.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:13 AM

Quote:
The Shops H building is under construction. I posted about it a while back but we didn't know what was going in it, so this is a good update. I'd bet that Great Clips and Sports Clips are under the same ownership so that's why they're both in the same development. This is good news.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning that. The city's website has the new McDonald's listed (1059 Tucson Marketplace) dated 1/17/13. It also has Shops A2 listed (1065 Tucson Marketplace), dated 12/21/12. Nothing about the other 2 buildings I mentioned previously, but as I stated a few pages ago, some of the different sections have the same info as some of the other sections (like the sections over by Costco - near Kino - have addresses listed as Park, which obviously isn't right).

The city's website also has plans for 3300 S. Park (which is part of the Bridges, to the west of Park), dated 9/01/11 and labeled subdivision. If you click on that, then on the top one on the next page ("2nd Submittal Comment Response 2012-09-06.pdf") you see immediately that this letter is dated 9/5/12 and that it says that the letter to the city was submitted 9/1/11 and that the delay (of a year) was because "the project was placed on hold for a certain period of time but has SINCE BEEN REACTIVATED." The 2nd half of the documents show maps of what is proposed (84 residential units on 18 acres). So, we may be seeing some new housing going into that area soon. This would probably make it more appealing to future businesses, which would make it more appealing to more housing and so on.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 1:19 AM

City looks to change westside development deal, postpone streetcar payments
Patrick McNamara

A 2008 deal that gave a contractor exclusive rights to develop city-owned property west of downtown appears ready to be changed, allowing for slower development and to delay its share of payment for the modern streetcar development.
With opposition only from City Councilman Steve Kozachik, the council told the city manager and attorney Tuesday (April 9) to write amendments to the deal that would allow Gadsden Company to alter the development schedule for the 14-acre plot on Congress Street west of Interstate 10.
“From a city management standpoint, I think it’s a bad decision,” Kozachik said.
The amendments would allow the company to develop only a portion of the next phase of the property, which was divided into phased development blocks when the city and Gadsden finalized the deal in 2008.
Gadsden wants to build on only one block of the upcoming second phase of the development and have the remaining blocks collapsed into the final two phases.
The proposed second phase would include building a multi-level, multi-use building that includes underground parking, ground-level retail and affordable housing in upper levels.
Gadsden has been working with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to receive funding for the project.
According to the agreement, Gadsden was supposed to purchase the second phase blocks from the city two years after the closing of the first phase. That date is May 13.
In addition, the company wants to postpone payments to the city, required under terms of the deal, to fund a portion of the western end of the Sun Link modern streetcar project.
The original deal stipulates that Gadsden would pay $3.2 million toward construction of streetcar infrastructure prior to the May 13 date. Gadsden wants the city to allow it to pay instead by April 2014.
Kozachik also questioned that change, suggesting it could create problems with the federal funding that was acquired to build the streetcar. The Gadsden contribution was included as part of the application for the U.S. Department of Transportation grant.
Councilwoman Regina Romero has been a champion of the Gadsden project and defended the changes.
“The city has been sitting on this land since the 80s,” Romero said. The 14-acre parcel was part of a 68-acre section that the city bought in the 1980s with help from a federal Community Development Block Grant.
Romero said the agreement to build on the property was important because it came at time when few developers were interested in west side developments.
Gadsden and its affiliates have already built housing and retail on properties adjacent to the land subject to the development deal.
As part of the proposed amendments, Gadsden would agree to post an additional $500,000 in performance bonds, bringing the total amount to $1 million. The bonds would secure that Gadsden meet its obligations and the city would keep the money if the obligations under the development agreement were not met.
The company also would agree to complete Linda Avenue, which runs into the property, at a cost of nearly $500,000.
Gadsden also would agree to waive the city’s obligation under the original agreement to make improvements to land south of the parcels where the so-called “hole-in-the-ground” property lies.
The city was to bring that property up to construction grade to make fit for development after environmental remediation occurred.
“I hope we never negotiate another development deal like this again,” Kozachik said.
A senior housing apartment stands on completed first phase of the development. When fully built, the 14-acre property is expected to have a mix of residential and retail developments.
The council is expected to vote on a finalized package of amendments on May 7.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 8:05 AM

It looks like Walmart is eyeing a March, 2014 opening for their new location at Houghton Town Center (south side of Old Vail Rd./west side of Houghton Rd.). This will be the first part of phase 1 (about 45 acres all together). I've seen reports of the developers still in talks with Home Depot for a store there, possibly anchoring Phase 2. It also appears a Panda Express will be built there soon.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:54 AM

I drove on speedway and turned on Campbell and I saw two tower cranes. I'm guessing that park ave has its crane now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
City looks to change westside development deal, postpone streetcar payments
Patrick McNamara

A 2008 deal that gave a contractor exclusive rights to develop city-owned property west of downtown appears ready to be changed, allowing for slower development and to delay its share of payment for the modern streetcar development.
I've given up trying to understand the constant drama with Gadsden's west side developments. Regardless the drama, as long as no one builds anything ugly is fine with me....it's better to look good than to feel good. Anyway, I was at downtown west today, there's street car constructions and even some earth movers starting to work on the housing developments (?) at downtown west.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
I drove on speedway and turned on Campbell and I saw two tower cranes. I'm guessing that park ave has its crane now.
I was up on campus today and drove by both properties. Yes, both the Hub and Park Ave. do have cranes up now. It's gonna be cool watching both go up at the same time - and really cool to see that area when they're all finished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest