HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 7:51 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktown718 View Post

When you look at this building and compare it to the others around it, it does not look that big...I guess Im talking girth wise. Is this an illusion? It looks really slender. And wont it get more slender as it rises higher?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 11:37 AM
New Yorker for life

It is a slender building...

carolynfernandez

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
When you look at this building and compare it to the others around it, it does not look that big...I guess Im talking girth wise. Is this an illusion? It looks really slender. And wont it get more slender as it rises higher?
It depends. If you view the building from any entrance angle it is the same all the way up 205'x205'. View it from the corner angles it goes to 148'at the roof level.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 3:05 PM

I have to disagree completely, this will be one of the fatest buildings of its size in the world.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 3:45 PM

Prior drawings posted that show the communication rings sometimes show different levels of dishes. While others show a solid structure? Does anyone know what the final version will be.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 5:54 PM
Metal Up Your !

^^^^ I'm pretty sure the final design was the rings. I'm not sure though, maybe one of the NY guys will tell you for sure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 6:28 PM

The renderings that show the "crown" (for lack of a better term) with the array of telecommunications rings will be the one they're going with.
It's actually a wickedly clever integration of functionality and aesthetics, in much the same way as the spire with the antenna(e) built in.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 7:25 PM
New Yorker for life

morrongiello (Nov 1)

fotoguy58

caen98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Prior drawings posted that show the communication rings sometimes show different levels of dishes. While others show a solid structure? Does anyone know what the final version will be.
The final version hasn't been seen (other than Zensteeldudes graphics), but the closest to it is the version with 3 ring levels, which the tower will have.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 8:18 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The restaurant will now be one level instead of two, leaving two levels for the observation deck. Prior to that, there was one rendering, but it was too small to make anything of it.
That's news to me. As far as I've seen, the Obs deck is still one floor, and the restaurant is really 1.5, as it consists of a full floor and a mezzanine.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 12:10 AM
Frigidus Maximus

I wish they would make the guidon wires for the spire much more prominent, a design feature. The design is already quite good, but correct use of the cables would make the spire a classic.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 12:36 AM

Couple of more months and 1WTC will clearly be visible from Brooklyn bridge.

epc

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 12:45 AM

omg i love the dogs! there just sitting down watching the skyline,EPIC!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 6:02 AM
BANNED

climbing 403' is no big deal for the guys who change bulbs on TV towers.

I'm sure everyone has seen the video by now, so I won't spam a forum with it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 6:50 AM

Quote:
morrongiello (Nov 1)

fotoguy58

caen98

The final version hasn't been seen (other than Zensteeldudes graphics), but the closest to it is the version with 3 ring levels, which the tower will have.

That night picture may be the coolest looking one of the tower I've seen. I think people are going to be shocked when they see how awesome this thing looks when it's done. I just wished they would build two of them! That would be awesome for the terrorist idiots who took out the towers. to say, look what's back up!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 12:43 PM

trucks arrived with glass pannels on them.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
That's news to me. As far as I've seen, the Obs deck is still one floor, and the restaurant is really 1.5, as it consists of a full floor and a mezzanine.
That was changed a while ago. They want to accommodate the number of expected tourists.

http://www.som.com/resources/content...ary%202010.pdf

Quote:
Mechanical floors, a restaurant and a two-level observation deck culminate in a metal and glass parapet that marks 1362 feet and 1368 feet – the two heights of the original Twin Towers. A communications platform ring rises above the parapet and a 408 -foot, cable-stayed antenna, designed in collaboration with artist Kenneth Snelson and structural engineer Hans Schober of Schlaich Bergermann and Partner, crowns the project.

The antenna consists of two major components: a 408 -foot mast and a communications platform ring. The mast is a hybrid structure, consisting of a steel tower supporting the antenna and a special protective enclosure, called a radome, that is transparent to radio waves. The steel tower has eight sections stacked vertically and decreasing in width, while the radome enclosure is formed of a modular, fiberglass composite sandwich panel system arranged as octagonal antiprism modules.
Only image I've ever seen of the two-level restaurant...

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q-...hris-ward.html

Quote:
The old World Trade Center observation deck was clearly one of the top tourist attractions in New York City, and I'm pleased that the new One World Trade Center will have a similar observation deck on its top floors. Our recent projections show that we expect the new observation deck to be as popular – if not more popular – than the old one. For that reason, we're considering dedicating two upper deck floors for the observation deck.
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/one-wtc.html

Quote:
■Public observation deck on 100th and 101st Floors.

■Skyline Restaurant on 102nd Floor

in.formed

caen98

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:41 PM

Quote:

What is that building in the lower foreground?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:45 PM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 4:57 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
What is that building in the lower foreground?
Looks to me like the last parts of the DB building being dismantled. I.e. the black building, on the site of the proposed WTC5, that was damaged in 9/11 and has been slowly taken down since.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive