HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 4:32 PM

It's been a while since I've seen the tower lit up in colors. Lookin good!!!

This may be one of the last times that it's lit up like that since they wont be doing it any more after the tower is completed & occupied.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:31 PM

How do they do the colors? Covers over the lights? Cellophane in the windows?

Also, it looks like Neapolitan ice cream...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar124 View Post

This may be one of the last times that it's lit up like that since they wont be doing it any more after the tower is completed & occupied.
That's not true, many sources have said that the tower will be lit up schematically on various holidays including(but not limited to) The fourth of July, Christmas/Hannukah, St. Patrick's Day, etc.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
That's not true, many sources have said that the tower will be lit up schematically on various holidays including(but not limited to) The fourth of July, Christmas/Hannukah, St. Patrick's Day, etc.

I hope it'll be the whole tower, but I thought that it was just going to be the spire/antenna that'll be lit up after construction has been completed??

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:54 PM

they can light up the building like that as long as the building is still a shell. After interior work is all wrapped up they won't be able to, as construction lights give way to office space lighting. Other than that, only the base and spire will be illuminated differently for special occasions, with white as standard.

it'll look more like this

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
they can light up the building like that as long as the building is still a shell. After interior work is all wrapped up they won't be able to, as construction lights give way to office space lighting. Other than that, only the base and spire will be illuminated differently for special occasions, with white as standard.

Yeah, now that I think of it, it was just for the spantenna and base but, hey, that's still cool!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 7:59 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho View Post
How do they do the colors? Covers over the lights? Cellophane in the windows?

Also, it looks like Neapolitan ice cream...
I always think it looks more like this:

(Image found HERE )

Quote:
they can light up the building like that as long as the building is still a shell. After interior work is all wrapped up they won't be able to, as construction lights give way to office space lighting. Other than that, only the base and spire will be illuminated differently for special occasions, with white as standard...
However, if this were in Shanghai they would have included High-Intensity LEDs all the way down the tower just under the lip of the Glass Curtainwall, so it would reflect off the stainless steel. It could provide a whole host of colours for a fantastic display.

(Image found HERE )

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I always think it looks more like this:

(Image found HERE )
And this makes me think of the "Bombs Away" print by Keith P. Rein I have mounted above my upstairs fireplace.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 10:13 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
However, if this were in Shanghai they would have included High-Intensity LEDs all the way down the tower just under the lip of the Glass Curtainwall, so it would reflect off the stainless steel. It could provide a whole host of colours for a fantastic display.
Thankfully they didn't. I like what Shanghai has done but it's not NYC's style.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:

Well sort-of. There'll be the big band of black around the top where the mechanical floors are.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:15 PM
Ω

Sorry, I've been a bit out of the loop so forgive me if this has been asked:

Is the sculptural envelope "skin" still going to be installed around the antenna?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:43 PM

what is the new loading dock for ???
I have not seen anything going on with it
why did they need a new one ??

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Sorry, I've been a bit out of the loop so forgive me if this has been asked:

Is the sculptural envelope "skin" still going to be installed around the antenna?
Nope. The Durst Organization chose to save 20 million dollars rather than keep good architecture. It's really a shame, as the current mast simply isn't thick and sleek enough to go well with the building.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:24 AM
Build Baby Build

The rocket popsicle shot really makes me want to see the spire lit up! Officially, the white spire facade was removed because of the inability to routinely clean/maintain it, so instead of engineering an expensive solution, they scrapped the facade. Get used to it is all I can recommend, otherwise you will be living in angst like many posters here.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Officially, the white spire facade was removed because of the inability to routinely clean/maintain it, so instead of engineering an expensive solution, they scrapped the facade.
Not quite, but close enough.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...619775032.html

Quote:
The owners, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and developer Douglas Durst, are intending to drop a plan to enclose the 408-foot antenna with an ornamental white shell.
They say it would be too expensive and treacherous to maintain. Removing the shell would save about $20 million, Mr. Durst said.

"Eliminating this integral part of the building's design and leaving an exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate," David Childs, the building's lead designer, said in a statement.

Mr. Durst, chairman of Durst Organization Inc., said in an interview that it would have been almost impossible to carry out repairs on the exterior of the shell, as maintenance workers
wouldn't be able to safely access it. "They should have done a better job designing it," Mr. Durst said of the shell. Removing it, he said, "is not the end of the world."

Mr. Childs in his statement denied this, saying Skidmore Owings & Merrill devised a workable maintenance plan with engineering consultants hired for the purpose.

The Durst Organization, which agreed to buy a $100 million stake in the tower in 2010, wanted to remove the shell to save costs soon after it came into the project.
But that attempt was rejected by the Port Authority's previous executive director, according to people familiar with the matter.
It was simply about the money, and Durst got a more agreeable partner in a new Port Authority director. It's really that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
That's not true, many sources have said that the tower will be lit up schematically on various holidays including(but not limited to) The fourth of July,
Christmas/Hannukah, St. Patrick's Day, etc.
The building itself won't be lit up, but above it the mast will have the rotating light from the beacon, and the mast will be capable of light shows,
similar to what we now have with the Empire State and now the Parachute Drop at Coney Island. It could look something like this...

Video Link

Tai'sTees

Freedom T

rakeshmalhotra98

BJL //

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 28, 2013 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:46 AM

A brief knowledge on what's on the inside!

rick lombardo

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 7:36 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Was all that really necessary?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Was all that really necessary?
You mean up close images from the inside of a newly topped out supertall in our nations financial capital? Or did you mean the personal photos of the workers who are assembling this monument? Please...

Anyways, those were great photos. It's always nice to see the personal side of these buildings.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Anyways, those were great photos. It's always nice to see the personal side of these buildings.
I agree, those Pictures are really great

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive