HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:14 PM

CTBUH needs to adopt just 2 office heights for all buildings.

1. Height of the tallest man made piece of structure of the building including spires, antennas, windmills or whatever. There is no significant difference for a pole and an antenna any longer.

2. Roof height or highest part of the structure that has enclosed, usable space not including stair/ladder accessways only.

The difference between a spire and antenna no longer gives any useful information when comparing building heights and the CTBUH needs to update their criteria.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
Yeah! What a stupid and insignificant number!
As a number it is utterly meaningless. It is, however, a meaningful year in American history.

I've always thought the symbolism behind a building being 1776' tall is silly. "Son, that is 1WTC — built to be as tall as the year we declared our independence from Great Britian. We sure showed them Islamic extremists!"

In all seriousness, the single most important thing about this buildings height is that it has it. It's a tall fucking building. That's important. I remember when people actually said 9/11 would be the end of skyscrapers in NYC. That no one would want to work in one. From that moment on the only thing that mattered to me was that we rebuild with a tower at least as tall as what came before. Doesn't matter if its 1776 or 1356 or whatever. Even more encouraging is that it looks like with 432 park and the Nordstrom tower 1WTC won't be alone for long.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 9:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i sort of agree. disagree re the symbolism, but agree re build something at least as tall as what was there. mission accomplished. finally. and make it quality. it definately is that!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 10:47 PM

Sorry guys, I forgot, sarcasm is completely unrecognizable. Anyway, lots of progress done today!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:23 PM

As a group, we could stand to start using sarcastises.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't want to get us way off on another issue. The issue here is whether the mast is considered a spire or antenna.

Wheither or not either should count towards height is another issue for another thread, and luckily we have one...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=183533

http://www.radioworld.com/article/ny...unities/219236
NYC Broadcasters Eye WTC Rooftop Opportunities

by Randy J. Stine

Quote:
A giant spire is now in place atop the One World Trade Center in Manhattan stretching the new skyscraper to a height of 1,776 feet and maybe forever changing the FM antenna infrastructure in the country’s largest radio market. The 800-ton, 408-foot spire was lifted into place last week and is expected to serve as a broadcast antenna for television and FM radio stations in the city. The projects developers believe the new “world-class broadcast antenna” will serve as an adequate replacement for the broadcast facilities lost in the collapse of the fallen twin towers at the site during the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The Durst Organization, which will manage and lease space at One WTC, met with radio and television broadcasters in the city several months ago and is now approaching radio broadcasters individually to determine their commitment levels, said John Lyons, assistant vice president and director of broadcast communications for Durst.

“We are in a holding pattern right now because of the TV repack,” referring to the television channel repacking expected to occur after the spectrum auction. All of that activity, Lyons said, “will determine where we place antennas and where we stack them on the tower. If the TV is going on top, I prefer to do that first before we place the master FM antenna,” Lyons said.

Design features for the transmission facility are done but no orders have been placed for transmission hardware, such as the antenna and FM combiner, according to Lyons.

Midtown Manhattan’s Empire State Building is 1,250 feet tall with a 204-foot-antenna. Empire is currently home to most of New York City’s FM radio stations. The historic building, which is has multiple FM master antennas, also serves as home to nearly all of the city’s digital television transmitters. In a 2012 prospectus for an IPO, the Empire State Building acknowledged that 19 radio stations call Empire home. Lyons said there would be room enough for all the FMs at the Empire State Building to move their primary transmitter sites to One WTC.

In addition, a broadcast structure atop the Conde Nast Building at 4 Times Square, which is 1,018 feet above street level and also managed by Durst, includes 14 FM transmitters. The vast majority of those are backup FM transmitters, Lyons said.

When One WTC is completed, and once it is verified by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the building will be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and third tallest building in the world. The spire — complete with galvanized steel broadcast rings — will serve as part of the One WTC’s transmission facilities for the region’s media outlets. Perched at its tip is the spire’s stainless steel beacon.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...#axzz2SYhF6XGw

We Are Made In New York (Again)

by Matt Straz
May 6, 2013

Quote:
Last week I attended an event at The Standard Hotel in New York City hosted by venture capital firms NEA, Silicon Valley Bank and Lerer Ventures. The Standard’s Roof Bar offers extraordinary views of lower Manhattan, including Freedom Tower and its newly installed spire. “Fitting,” I thought to myself as I chatted with this next generation of founders, business press and venture capitalists. The completion of Freedom Tower marks a new era in New York and its technology industry.

Having been present for New York’s first tech boom, it’s striking to see how much has changed since the World Trade Center, along with the dot-com tech sector, was reduced to rubble...

http://gawker.com/how-tall-is-the-fr...ower-487352341

How Tall Is the "Freedom Tower"?

May 3, 2013

Quote:
Yesterday, with the raising of its mast, One World Trade Center—the "Freedom Tower"—symbolically kicked bin Laden's dead ass by reaching a soaring, magnificent 1,776 feet into the sky. Sort of. Probably.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), the world authority on skyscraper height, has three different metrics: "Height to the Architectural Top," "Highest Occupied Floor," and "Height to Tip." The first of these is the standard by which skyscrapers are judged, and by which One World Trade Center would stake its claim as, at 1,776 feet, "the highest building in the western hemisphere."

But where is its architectural top? According to CTBUH, "architectural top" includes "spires," but not "antennae, signage, flag poles or other functional-technical equipment." Until last year, the designs called for a mast that was fairly unambiguously a spire—a seven-meter wide, architecturally designed element that was clearly part of the building. But in May, to save money, the steel-triangle design was scrapped (over the objections of the architects). What's left is something closer to an antenna than a spire—though CTBUH still hasn't made its ruling (emails to the council went unreturned).

It may not matter, anyway. The 1,776-foot figure bandied about by developers is based on measurements from the center of the building ("we had to pick something," designers told The Observer in 2011). If the CTBUH insists on doing its measurements from "the lowest, significant, open-air, pedestrian entrance," as it says on its website, the height would be either 1,779 feet or 1,787 feet, depending on the placement of the beacon on top of the mast.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:09 AM

The funny thing about the spire is I thought the redesign of it would be by far the worst looking thing about this building. Not only does it look good imo, but the new glass on the base, easily takes that award home. That glass was such an awful choice with the glass on the building. Sad, IMO.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpriest View Post
It will not be redesigned. The only reason for scrapping the radome was because Durst received a percentage of all money that was saved. Deleting the radome apparently saved $20M....so Durst made a nice chunk of change off it. He won't be giving any of that money up. Additionally, the bare mast, with exterior lighting, more closely aligns with his other properties.
Ya I know I was just saying it would be awesome if they did

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:03 AM
Jeez Louise.

I dunno if the person who runs the WTC Progress Facebook page gets on here but I asked a very simple question on a photo on there: "Does anyone know when the top is going to be put on it?" on a photo of the last pieces being raised and I WAS BLOCKED FROM THE PAGE. So if whoever runs that site is on here, thanks... thanks for a very odd overreaction to a simple question.

Does anyone on here know when it is going to be put on though?

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
I dunno if the person who runs the WTC Progress Facebook page gets on here but I asked a very simple question on a photo on there: "Does anyone know when the top is going to be put on it?" on a photo of the last pieces being raised and I WAS BLOCKED FROM THE PAGE. So if whoever runs that site is on here, thanks... thanks for a very odd overreaction to a simple question.

Does anyone on here know when it is going to be put on though?
If by "top" you mean the beacon/final piece of the antenna, I heard a lot about Wednesday or Friday being the day.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by NYCrulz on ssc

By wineflyguy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8283610@N08/

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:37 PM

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:52 PM

Delete.

Last edited by StrongIsland; May 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:16 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:34 PM

Amazing shots from the airplane.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:40 PM

Does anyone know how many candle power or watts the beacon on 1WTC will be. The one in Houston on the 900' building is 7000 watts seen 40 miles out.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:48 PM

Hey! That's the white crane picking up the spire... I just saw live that it's no longer attached. Did they moved it on the roof or was that just a practice pick-up?

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Does anyone know how many candle power or watts the beacon on 1WTC will be. The one in Houston on the 900' building is 7000 watts seen 40 miles out.

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1782

Quote:
All 18 sections of spire, which together weigh 758 tons, will serve a state-of-the-art broadcast facility that will provide unparalleled transmission services for the region’s broadcast outlets. The Port Authority’s equity partner, The Durst Organization, will oversee construction and operation of the facility.

In addition to 18 sections of steel, the spire includes three communication rings and a maintenance platform, which weigh an additional 727 tons, for a total weight of 1,485 tons. The Beacon, which is the top of the spire, contains 288 50-watt LED modules that produce a combined 288,000 lumens of light. The light produced by the LED modules will be visible up to 50 miles away on a clear day.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:32 PM

So rain tonight and most of tomorrow.. I guess that May 8th date for beacon installation isn't happening smh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive