HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

They're doing live shots from the observation deck on "Good Day New York" right now for anyone who can catch it...but they say its a media day, so we should get lots of views later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
March 19

Very New York.

darylphotos

takegoro

h ssan

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Official promo for the obs.deck:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:50 PM

Here is the Good Day New York feature--it has shots from inside the observation deck:

http://www.myfoxny.com/video?autoSta...clipId=8732375

Last edited by NYGrail; Apr 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:58 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Video Link
Man that is a long walk from the ticket booth to the elevator, isn't it?

Good to see they won't be blocking the view with those stupid ads though.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:48 PM

That observation deck is going to be spectacular. One question though.. Is it supposed to be available in 2014 or 2015?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:52 PM

I said 104 floors because thats the official floor count that the PA and Silverstein gave. Yes I am aware of 110th "floor" but I am saying ACTUAL floors on the building. And yes I am also aware the tower only has 85 real floors but what I was saying to his question was the "official" floor count they gave. So I was NOT counting the floors you said I "skipped", I was just talking about the actual building minus the antenna and platform ring. Although I did not think about the upper floors (105-110) you where talking about so thats true thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about that so yeah thats probably the answer to his question, unless MadGnome is right, because that makes sense as well so again it's one of those two answers. I'm not sure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:04 PM

From a personal standpoint, I'm not sure that I could allow myself to go to the observation deck. I'm going to say what a lot of others are thinking---I'd be looking for airplanes and I'd be worried of being trapped up at the top of the building in the event of another tragedy. While I KNOW that there is very little chance of something happening to this building, the memories of 9/11 will always be with me. If I DID go to the top, I doubt I'd stay long. Anybody else feel that way?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:16 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
From a personal standpoint, I'm not sure that I could allow myself to go to the observation deck. I'm going to say what a lot of others are thinking---I'd be looking for airplanes and I'd be worried of being trapped up at the top of the building in the event of another tragedy. While I KNOW that there is very little chance of something happening to this building, the memories of 9/11 will always be with me. If I DID go to the top, I doubt I'd stay long. Anybody else feel that way?
No. But I do understand how you may feel about going up there. For me, 9/11 was a singular event.

Some pics from the obs.deck:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...2ea12d9e0109c3

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
The core of Tower One is probably the safest place to be in the entire city.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:19 PM

Probably

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What's the difference of being on the top of this building than being on top of the Empire State. Nothing. Stop living in fear, because that a'int living!

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:41 PM
Walk taker

That observation deck promo left me with a sour taste in my mouth. It looks like a childrens museum! A hallway surrounded by fake stone? Really??

Probably didn't help that the video had all the visual provenance of the Sims 2.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Man that is a long walk from the ticket booth to the elevator, isn't it?
Going to be pretty rough on those -- like me -- who get claustrophobic, especially if there's a crush pushing through. Just watching that approach gave me flashbacks to some of my more terrifying formative experiences...

Still! The "live host" on the observation deck sounds like a pretty ideal job for someone on this forum... Just saying.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Video Link
Stupid. The long, winding hallway surrounded by "bedrock" is going to be jam packed with people if other observatories are any indication. I hope people like standing in a long, dark hallway for 15+ minutes.

As others have said the renders make it look like something out of Disney. The screens are still there in some areas as well.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 9:24 PM

The observation deck is going to look great, love everything about it! Since the shape of the tower isn't a plain box there's going to be a lot of crazy views of the city! Can't wait to visit when it's finished!

The base cladding, on the other hand, still doesn't impress me. The patterned look looks silly, much the same way on 7WTC. I can't believe that's the best they could come up with.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 9:27 PM

In case anyone was wondering how much empty space there is in the squared off base with the ugly green glass.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 9:46 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
In case anyone was wondering how much empty space there is in the squared off base with the ugly green glass.
The rats in the city gotta live somewhere. lol

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

That virtual "sky pod" elevator will be amazing.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/58194

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

http://www.businessinsider.com/one-w...ck-2013-4?op=1

http://photos.silive.com/advance/201...ervatio_6.html

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

Yankees get preview of One World Observatory

Legends board of directors and Yankees front office personnel were on hand for the event.

By Joey Nowak
4/2/2013

Quote:
Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner was on hand Tuesday for an exclusive preview of One World Observatory from the 100th floor of One World Trade Center in New York.

Steinbrenner was joined by other members of the Legends board of directors and Yankees front office, including general partner Jennifer Steinbrenner Swindal, team president Randy Levine and senior vice president/chief financial officer Anthony Bruno at the event, which offered a glimpse of the views from the top of the building, more than 1,250 feet above Manhattan.

Construction on the observation deck will begin in early 2014, and when the facility opens in '15, it will provide millions of visitors with an observatory-deck experience on Floors 100-102.

"As a building unlike any other in the world, One World Trade Center rightfully deserves an observatory experience unlike any other in the world," Steinbrenner said in a statement. "The Yankees organization is proud to be a part of One World Observatory, a project that will combine the best that New York has to offer, from awe-inspiring city views to top-notch service, and elevate the visitor experience to new heights."

Guests at the event got a first glimpse at what the experience will entail, including "Skypod" elevators that will give visitors the experience of being outside the building as they ascend and descend the structure in 60 seconds.

The observatory will feature a pre-show theater called "See Forever," where guests will learn about the history of the building. The deck will also feature dining options and an event space.

One World Trade Center is a joint venture between The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and The Durst Organization. Legends, which is owned by the Dallas Cowboys, the Yankees and the Checketts Partners Investment Fund, was the company chosen to develop and operate the observation deck.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The core of Tower One is probably the safest place to be in the entire city.
Dont know if true, but cant it survive an atomic bomb?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:35 AM

as great as the view will be from this Observation Deck..nothing will beat my experience in 2001, of going to the 110th floor and Roof of the South Tower.. absolutely amazing view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive