HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:38 PM

Big update from this weekend!

It's annoying how the West Side Highway is still totally blocked off to the WTC unless you happen to be visiting the memorial. Honestly, the memorial should be totally public; if it remains closed off, I could see the complex being somewhat of a failure... it's so difficult to walk around & the streets that are open are totally crowded with clueless tourists. VERY frustrating.

One World Trade Center April 2013 Construction Update

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:55 PM

I saw this billboard while at the mall in White Plains, NY yesterday--it's for the upcoming 911 memorial run with Jon Stewart. I thought it would be nice to show everyone that they are using graphics from the old spire design (lol).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 8:58 PM

Slightly off topic and WAY down the road, but on what date in the future will the new WTC will have been standing longer than the old complex and do you think there will be pomp and circumstance surrounding that day?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I did not use a block quote.
We all know that this tower will eventually be complete 100%.

Questioning the "weird window" sounds more like an insult and that is how I understood the statement in full.

I will not debate this any further, back on topic please!

I really like the recent photos of the progress, thus far!
"When will they complete the fireproofing on the base?"

This is a reasonable question about the timeline for construction.

You absolutely took it out of context when you quoted it as "Will they complete the fireproofing?"

Getting rid of the "when" at the top completely changes the whole meaning of the posters question. You made it sound like he was either implying or thought it was possible that the fireproofing, and thus the tower, would never be finished.

Another example would be misquoting "I don't believe that we should eat our children" to "we should eat our children." Do you see how that completely changes the meaning? It is not a debate, it is just a misquote.

Anyway, the overall shape of the tower has actually grown on me now that the glass is almost complete. I never disliked it, but it is starting to look quite dominant and I quite like the taper from certain angles. I am still not a huge fan of the redesigned base, but it could have been a lot worse. I wonder if they ever considered cladding the base in the same fashion as the rest of the tower, probably not since they wanted the base to be distinctive, but I think a base that was clad as a mirror image of the first 20 floors above the base could have looked interesting. It also may have done more to disguise the fact that the base in a glass enclosed bunker by making it blend with the rest of the tower more. Oh well, what we are getting down there is not bad by any means.

The mast is still poo though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGrail View Post
I saw this billboard while at the mall in White Plains, NY yesterday--it's for the upcoming 911 memorial run with Jon Stewart. I thought it would be nice to show everyone that they are using graphics from the old spire design (lol).

Eh, it just looks like a poorly rendered skyline.

My favorite source of graphic design irony is that they decided to prominently feature the spire in the building's logo — right before they axed the spire.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=babybackribs2314;6074347]Big update from this weekend!

It's annoying how the West Side Highway is still totally blocked off to the WTC unless you happen to be visiting the memorial. Honestly, the memorial should be totally public; if it remains closed off, I could see the complex being somewhat of a failure... it's so difficult to walk around & the streets that are open are totally crowded with clueless tourists. VERY frustrating.[QUOTE]

It's only like that now because of all the construction. When it's done the site will be open for people to freely walk around like it was before.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
Eh, it just looks like a poorly rendered skyline.

My favorite source of graphic design irony is that they decided to prominently feature the spire in the building's logo — right before they axed the spire.

Redesigned!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
Slightly off topic and WAY down the road, but on what date in the future will the new WTC will have been standing longer than the old complex and do you think there will be pomp and circumstance surrounding that day?

If we go by when the first complex was originally dedicated (April 4, 1973, 40 year anniversary in a few days), and assuming the new complex is completed in 2018 (just for shits and giggles), then 2046.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
The original 1WTC North Tower was completed Dec 23, 1970. So on Sep 11, 2001 it was standing for 30 years, 8 months and 19 days.
It was topped out on Dec. 23, 1970. The building wasn't fully completed until mid-1972.

Last edited by Chapelo; Apr 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:46 AM

No, I believe they said the memorial complex will be open when One WTC is complete. Last I checked they were going to have bomb and gun powder "sniffer" devices across the perimeter of the site. All safety measures will be hidden, they said they didn't want to make the memorial closed off like it is now, they wanted it to be open like it was and with-out the bomb "sniffer" devices to be obvious so it feels open as I said. (I believe the last time I checked they are hidden in small pillars that are spread out by a couple feet from each other around the site perimeter) But it's closed off right now because of the construction. The only thing that wil have to go under an airport style security check will be trucks, but thats not new, they made trucks do that before 9/11 and after the '93 attack.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:48 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
The original 1WTC North Tower was completed Dec 23, 1970. So on Sep 11, 2001 it was standing for 30 years, 8 months and 19 days.

So the new OneWTC tower (assuming they are aiming for a July 4, 2013 completion date) will be older than the original 1WTC on Mar 23, 2044 IF their planned 'symbolic' completion date is July 4th this year.

That is going from when the 1WTC tower itself was completed. The whole complex was opened April 4, 1973. This new complex could take until 2016 to 2017 to complete depending on when the construction of Two WTC resumes. And that depends on when they get enough tenants to make a profit from building the tower at all.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:58 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4apple View Post
No, I believe they said the memorial complex will be open when One WTC is complete. Last I checked they were going to have bomb and gun powder "sniffer" devices across the perimeter of the site. All safety measures will be hidden, they said they didn't want to make the memorial closed off like it is now, they wanted it to be open like it was and with-out the bomb "sniffer" devices to be obvious so it feels open as I said. (I believe the last time I checked they are hidden in small pillars that are spread out by a couple feet from each other around the site perimeter) But it's closed off right now because of the construction. The only thing that wil have to go under an airport style security check will be trucks, but thats not new, they made trucks do that before 9/11 and after the '93 attack.
Yeah, I would think they wouldn't want the complex to be hard to get around when it's complete it is going to have a 2 story shopping mall beneath it. Closing off easy access to a shopping mall would make a lot of businesses close their stores there.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:06 AM
Benjamin Osborne

I know that this may seem as a superfluous question, but how many floors will One World Trade Center have? I've heard 104, 105, or even 108 according to the forum…

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post

Redesigned!
Super accurate depiction! You're really good.

Unfortunately, the logo now looks like a buttcrack that's been stitched shut.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Big update from this weekend!

It's annoying how the West Side Highway is still totally blocked off to the WTC unless you happen to be visiting the memorial. Honestly, the memorial should be totally public; if it remains closed off, I could see the complex being somewhat of a failure... it's so difficult to walk around & the streets that are open are totally crowded with clueless tourists. VERY frustrating.

One World Trade Center April 2013 Construction Update

A worker at the memorial told me within 2 years the memorial will be opened up to the park like status that it is supposed to be. There won't be nearly as much traffic and confusion then. It has nothing to do with 1 WTC

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:39 AM

Officially it has 104 floors. Not sure where you heard 108 but I know 1368 ft. is the roof height so unless there talking about the parapet steel which goes up to 1373 ft then I dont know, even with the parapet steel it wouldn't reach 108 anyway :/ So they were probably wrong.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
Super accurate depiction! You're really good.

Unfortunately, the logo now looks like a buttcrack that's been stitched shut.
AMEN BROTHER, that is the truth! Maybe "Dirtbag" Durst will be shamed into installing the radome after all!

The so-called "Spire" is going to be so ugly that he won't hear the end of it!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4apple View Post
Officially it has 104 floors. Not sure where you heard 108 but I know 1368 ft. is the roof height so unless there talking about the parapet steel which goes up to 1373 ft then I dont know, even with the parapet steel it wouldn't reach 108 anyway :/ So they were probably wrong.
No, no no, you've got the facts wrong. The tower has 85 real floors with 10 mezzanines, although some of them aren't officially labeled as mezzanines.

Fact is the whole thing is a mess, you've got skipped floors over here and there, and some labeled floors aren't real floors. Take for instance the 3-level platform ring (levels 107-109), heck even the maintaining catwalks are counted as a floor!!

"floor 110" is designated to the platform on the mast where the guy wires get connected, and it is the uppermost level.

1368' refers to the parapet height from Fulton, the 1373' figure comes from the topographic difference between Fulton St. and Vesey St (lowest one)

All measurements released by the PA comes from Fulton Street entrance as starting point, so you get 1334'8" for the roof slab(level 105) and 1368 for the top of parapet.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 9:59 AM
Martian

Hi guys, sorry for the trivial question, but when will it look finished on the outside?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 10:07 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Knowing how this complex is no stranger to delays, I would predict that the glass and the mast will both be finished by late May to late June or early July.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
No, no no, you've got the facts wrong. The tower has 85 real floors with 10 mezzanines, although some of them aren't officially labeled as mezzanines.

Fact is the whole thing is a mess, you've got skipped floors over here and there, and some labeled floors aren't real floors. Take for instance the 3-level platform ring (levels 107-109), heck even the maintaining catwalks are counted as a floor!!

"floor 110" is designated to the platform on the mast where the guy wires get connected, and it is the uppermost level.

1368' refers to the parapet height from Fulton, the 1373' figure comes from the topographic difference between Fulton St. and Vesey St (lowest one)

All measurements released by the PA comes from Fulton Street entrance as starting point, so you get 1334'8" for the roof slab(level 105) and 1368 for the top of parapet.
The floor level measurement actually starts from the bottom of the building, about 70 feet below grade. If you measure from there, starting with floor 20, the count actually makes sense at 13' 4".
108 floors @ 13.33ft = 1440 ft, which is almost exactly the lowest subfloor to the top of the parapet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive