HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:13 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
How is that? earthcam has not been working for me since yesterday,and i tired it on my i Phone ; my i Pad ; and my PC ?
No idea but it works fine for me. BTW, how are you using earthcam on an iPhone or iPad? The site is Flash. Or are you using direct links to the images (that's what I use on my iPad)?

Here is a screen shot as proof it's working.

Link I use:
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...lleniumhilton1

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:01 PM

Been collecting Earthcam images since 2009ish here is an archive or WTC pictures since 2009:

http://wtc.wikia.com/wiki/New_One_Wo...cture_Archives

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Just curious, do any of you native NYers shed a tear every now and then when you look at this building?
Not a native New Yorker, but a New York resident who lived here on 9/11 and went through that day. From time to time I shed a tear on how shitty and meaningless this building is, and marvel at how mediocrities like David Childs are given important commissions.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:29 PM

Some pics I took today from NYC and Jersey City

NYC March 2013 by deepen03, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 9:34 PM
An Optimistic Realist

This summer may be the first time I will see this tower since 2010. My childhood memories will be somewhat brought back by seeing this in the skyline. It has been a long time.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:24 PM

Despite all the crap that may have occurred the construction of this building, I still think it has great meaning. I do constantly remember the events that occurred on this site nearly 12 years ago whenever I see this building. This is building is important to me, because of the history of the site, not about the politics that went on in the recent years.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Not a native New Yorker, but a New York resident who lived here on 9/11 and went through that day. From time to time I shed a tear on how shitty and meaningless this building is, and marvel at how mediocrities like David Childs are given important commissions.
Could be worse, we could have ended up with the first round of designs

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
Is anyone else having trouble loading the WTC Earthcam page? I can load any other cameras, but not the WTC ones...
If the earthcam doesn't work for you, it just doesn't. Give it a couple of days, no one here runs it. We don't need a half page discussion about it.

pbr_streetgang

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 11:49 AM

Good Morning all, shot from 6:45 am in Belle Harbor, Queens.

Lower Manhattan Skyline March 30, 2013 by NYMAN2010, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:40 PM

From me this morning, I love how 1 World Trade Center and the rest of the skyline looks like from here. Please Ck out.

By QUEENSNY121

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFXFqNg6pI

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
What could have been. Thank god it wasn't and this was far from the worst design proposed.

Daniel Libeskind's "Memory Foundations" from 2002

http://inhabitat.com/nyc/the-tower-t...reedom-tower7/

Oh yes indeed! The worst design ever! By far and away. Almost as bad a a hole in the ground. The #1 Tower is looking more and more awesome with each passing day. Can't wait 'til the glass skin clad reaches the roof-top

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:00 PM

I find it hard to believe I just saw this building from 26 miles away and it still looked huge! From the angle I was looking at it the sun was shining off one of the sides and it looked amazing. Great work to everyone who designed/ built this! I love it!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 9:05 PM

Updated

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 11:53 PM
New Yorker for life

For anyone with for the top of this tower, this man has you beat...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Don...200710781.html

Donegal man first person to propose atop of New York's Freedom Tower
Irish DJ on top of the world as girlfriend says "yes"

Martin Curran, a DJ from Donegal, has become the first person to propose at the top of America's new Freedom Tower

By IRISHCENTRAL STAFF WRITERS
March 30, 2013

Quote:
A Donegal DJ took romance to dizzying heights when he proposed atop of New York’s Freedom Tower on St. Patrick’s Day.

Dressed in high-visibility vests, hard hats and protective glasses, Marty Curran and his girlfriend Linda Cribben made the 104-story climb for the spectacular views of Manhattan during their trip to New York. Curran almost had to abandon his plan when he began to feel queasy close to the top of the skyscraper.

“We had to walk up the last three floors and I was green. I just wasn’t taking the height very well at all,” Curran told the Irish Examiner. “Linda suggested I stay where I was, but I couldn’t allow her to go on without me. In the end I got through it and I was so glad that I did. It’s hard to put into words what an amazing experience it was.”

Curran had arranged the tour of the highest building in New York with her friends who work at Port Authority. He even purchased a promise ring in his home town of Letterkenny before the couple departed for their Big Apple vacation. The couple took a lift to the 35th floor, then a hoist to floor 80 before switching to another hoist to floor 103, before walking to the roof.

“I couldn’t believe it when my friend Jim turned to me and said we were going to have a very good view — from the top. Very few people have been to the top of the tower, never mind being allowed up to propose marriage,” said Curran. After Cribben popped the question, the couple signed a special steel beam which will remain in the Freedom Tower forever.

The Freedom Tower, also known of One World Trade Center, is being built to replace the twin towers that fell during the 9/11 terror attacks. At 1,776 feet tall, it will be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...s-226854.html#

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 6:00 AM

[QUOTE=NYguy;6071884]If the earthcam doesn't work for you, it just doesn't. Give it a couple of days, no one here runs it. We don't need a half page discussion about it.

Ok. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem... Sorry, won't bring it up again. I understand.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 11:57 AM
don't *meddle*...

Happy Easter everyone!

KenTveter

Keith Michael NYC

Mitch Waxman

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:11 PM
Norman Yen ♥ NY

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 2:55 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:19 PM
Mr. Technology

While this is one of my fav towers being built right now, the spire appears (to me) as an afterthought.

In a few years from now when other projects are complete, I know of several others that will be taller to the roof that I will (in my humble opinion) recognize as the tallest.

What I admire about this tower is that it reaches it's height to the roof without setbacks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post

Is that pic there taken right around the vicinity of Church & Lispenard? Looks like maybe a couple blocks or so north of Lispenard. Still makes me sad/give me the chills when I see pics of 1 WTC taken from that vantage point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive