HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
How long do you guys think it will take after the tower's completion for broadcasting tenants to sign on so the communication ring will be filled up?
It will probably be next year at the earliest before anything goes up there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:11 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Goldman is still as bright as I've seen it. The newer office buildings just appear that way. I expect this one to be no different.
Not so...

Goldman Sachs has been getting steadily darker as the months go on, as demonstrated by a close-up from a recent post found Here

Go back several years and WTC7 went through the same slow transformation to normal, night time random brightness, as will WTC4 and of course WTC1 in due time.

Go to any thread here on SSP, about any new skyscraper in the world and follow a building freshly completed to fully occupied and you will see the same phenomenon: Glaringly bright floors at night to regular office lighting over several years as the office floors become occupied.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=Traynor;6070737]Glaringly bright floors at night to regular office lighting over several years as the office floors become occupied./QUOTE]

That's an interesting wrinkle that'd never occurred to me. I've been wondering about how bright WTC is at night -- it's a freaking torch compared to its surrounding buildings. I assumed it was the wide open floorplans, maybe new lighting technology, but then I'd think, "But why aren't Goldman or some of the other new office towers that bright? This makes a ton of sense.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Not so...

Goldman Sachs has been getting steadily darker as the months go on, as demonstrated by a close-up from a recent post found Here
That's only one picture. As I've said, when I see it it's as bright as its always been. But it's of no concern here. We'll have to wait
until this building is completed and open to judge the brightness of the lighting.

• estatik •

Amraj Lalli

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
More like June. I wouldn't be surprised if the official top out date is July 4th. Fitting, don't you think?
I sure hope it more like end of April, More comm rings coming tonight and should go up tommorow if wind is ok.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 1:49 AM

Correct me if I am wrong....the guy cable stays are connected to the 2nd ring, yes?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:47 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
I sure hope it more like end of April, More comm rings coming tonight and should go up tommorow if wind is ok.
I hope so too!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:19 AM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's really too bad that once this building is completed and occupied, the inside illumination of the construction lights will be gone and the tower will just blend in with its surroundings in the nighttime skyline. Oh well, nothing you can do about it I guess...
I love this night shot! Will they really get rid of those night lights after construction? That's a terrible idea...

I had intended to go take pictures of One at night during my trip to NYC last week but I was so exhausted everyday and it was so cold/snowing/Iwastoodrunk/etc that I never got a chance too. I did take TONS of pictures of the complex though and got lots of closeups of the top and base from a lot of different angles. I'll try to load a lot of the better pics on here as soon as I get a chance (probably sometime Saturday)

I got a lot of pics of Three WTC's podium and Four too that I'll try to remember to load in those threads as well. I took 1,700 photos and probably half of those just of One

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
I did take TONS of pictures of the complex though
I've got a bunch of pictures from today too, a lot of them look a like though, hope you guys dont mind

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:22 AM

J.R. Clancy creates custom beacon for One World Trade Center

http://livedesignonline.com/jr-clanc...d-trade-center

Quote:
The light itself is made up of 16 suitcase-sized petals, each containing 11 modules of LED lights. The bottom petals each contain an array of 22 LED modules. Each module produces 1,200 lumens on its own, for a cumulative total of 316,800 lumens—a light that will be seen easily from Manhattan to New Jersey, even on a foggy night.
[...]

Quote:
The turntable structure involves a slew ring bearing—a single large, circular bearing with a projected life of one billion revolutions. “It turns as fast as a second hand, and it operates roughly twelve hours a day,” said Trytek. “With proper maintenance, it could last almost forever.”
[...]

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:12 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Just curious, do any of you native NYers shed a tear every now and then when you look at this building?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 9:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Just curious, do any of you native NYers shed a tear every now and then when you look at this building?
I don't know about shedding a tear, but because of the uncanny (though intended) resemblance to one of the towers left standing on the skyline, there is an emotional connection at times. I can't stress enough how much it's just like one of the originals, and being in almost the same exact location makes it all the more so.

Eva Blue

BhushaNYC

jpmigden

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:00 PM

Might see One World Trade Center for the first time in two years today in the distance. Ill see if I can get any skyline pics from my phone.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:23 PM

Is anyone else having trouble loading the WTC Earthcam page? I can load any other cameras, but not the WTC ones...

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
Is anyone else having trouble loading the WTC Earthcam page? I can load any other cameras, but not the WTC ones...

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/
yeah earthcam is not working, what else is new.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:58 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Works for me.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:14 PM

second ring is being built

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
yeah earthcam is not working, what else is new.
Typical of Earthcam... smh

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Works for me.
How is that? earthcam has not been working for me since yesterday,and i tired it on my i Phone ; my i Pad ; and my PC ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive