HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:46 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think it will be similar to the Goldman Sachs building, in that it will still be extremely bright. But we'll see.
Almost all new buildings are extremely bright for a few years until the floors fill up. Until then the floors are empty without internal walls and smaller office units, so the lighting of the entire floor can be seen. Even Goldman Sachs has been getting steadily darker as the floors fill up.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:01 AM

I took this picture Monday morning (3/25/13) from my roof in Yonkers, NY
Love how the morning sun makes the glass shine extra bright.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:14 AM

I'm liking the ring.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:07 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky View Post
Cool diagram Chibears85

So we have 11 pieces of the spire up there? How many more to come?

Thanks
Funny story, kinda off topic,,, I work in a jail, In have a convict in the system, he's done probably 60-70 days of his 120 day jail sentence.. (he's a skyscraper fan)..About every 3rd day he asks me general ?'s about 1wtc, he keeps asking me about the spire and why piece 12 (he know's the pieces) and asks if it's still sitting on the doghouse. I told him (because he's not a violent asshole prisoner), the only reason I can think of is wind.. I said to him you see outside, it looks nothing like spring.. Then I realize they don't have windows and have no sight of the outside world. I told him about the base and it's gotta 50/50 following, but that's about the only thing going on, you can see from the outside. And, "no 4 glass isn't to the parapet except for about a 12 piece section. And I don't even know if that's true that's what I tell him. I'd print off a pic for him, but WE can't give convict's anything, but state issued items.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

View from Brooklyn as of yesterday (Wednesday, March 27th).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
Funny story, kinda off topic,,, I work in a jail, In have a convict in the system, he's done probably 60-70 days of his 120 day jail sentence.. (he's a skyscraper fan)..About every 3rd day he asks me general ?'s about 1wtc, he keeps asking me about the spire and why piece 12 (he know's the pieces) and asks if it's still sitting on the doghouse. I told him (because he's not a violent asshole prisoner), the only reason I can think of is wind.. I said to him you see outside, it looks nothing like spring.. Then I realize they don't have windows and have no sight of the outside world. I told him about the base and it's gotta 50/50 following, but that's about the only thing going on, you can see from the outside. And, "no 4 glass isn't to the parapet except for about a 12 piece section. And I don't even know if that's true that's what I tell him. I'd print off a pic for him, but WE can't give convict's anything, but state issued items.
Honestly, it's pretty cool that you keep him up to date. I am sure he appreciates this.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
They have to put in the communication rings first that would not be able to be installed by tower boom being obstructed by remaining upper spire sections. meanwhile 5 star electric is busy working up the top two sections with revolving beacon and aviation beacons which is a few weeks worth of work. Then we need a few days straight of low winds to jump the tower crane, set the top sections and jump back down.

alan
So what do you figure? Mid-end of April that we see the top complete?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:45 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
So what do you figure? Mid-end of April that we see the top complete?
More like June. I wouldn't be surprised if the official top out date is July 4th. Fitting, don't you think?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:32 PM

1 wtc is now on pace to just being the fourth tallest building in the world,no disrespect to all the roof lovers on this forum,1 wtc construction will go down as being historically slow to build,again no disrespect to all the construction workers who risk their lives ever day.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
More like June. I wouldn't be surprised if the official top out date is July 4th. Fitting, don't you think?
Hmm idk I don't think it would take that long to finish the ring and spire/mast...who knows...but that would be a perfect date if it was to open this year or maybe even next year?...also does anyone know if cladding is still scheduled to finish up to the roof by the end of May?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:11 PM

I'd love it if they got it done already considering if you think about it this should have been done in 2010.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
ha - believe me i understand - you arent the only one who works in a jail!

but re the question: what section or piece are we on now? is it 12 total? thx if anyone knows or can guess.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

1 WTC by drken10003, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:59 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

1 WTC by drken10003, on Flickr
Finally, some serious action!

I think once the rings and guy-wires are finished, this mast will be stunning. I used to be a rabid critic of it, but I've been swayed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:31 PM

They really should leave all the extra "temporary" ring platforms on the mast. It gives it a much more substantial look and fits with the communication rings even more.

Of course, they won't do it and we will be stuck with an Elder Wand, or "Deathstick" if you prefer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
They really should leave all the extra "temporary" ring platforms on the mast. It gives it a much more substantial look and fits with the communication rings even more.

Of course, they won't do it and we will be stuck with an Elder Wand, or "Deathstick" if you prefer.
Haha, good Harry Potter reference. Super excited to see the rest of the communications platform go up.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:53 PM
Ikonic Exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Depending on how thick the guy wires are, I think they will add a lot to the visual substance of the spire, I take you point tho, but the big fat middle one would have to go
:~}

Occupy Birmingham.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Almost all new buildings are extremely bright for a few years until the floors fill up. Until then the floors are empty without internal walls and smaller office units, so the lighting of the entire floor can be seen. Even Goldman Sachs has been getting steadily darker as the floors fill up.
Goldman is still as bright as I've seen it. The newer office buildings just appear that way. I expect this one to be no different.

Keith Michael NYC

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/0...ext-12-months/

Additional 5.9 Million Square Feet of Office Space Projected For Lower Manhattan Over Next 12 Months

By Richard Persichetti 3/27/13

Quote:
Last week, as I drove past the World Trade Center site with my son, a question came from the back seat, “Dad, is that where the Twin Towers used to be?” Very quickly after my affirmative response came his follow-up inquiring what happened to them. This required more than a monosyllabic response, even for a 9-year-old. Working in real estate, I was able to impress him with my extensive knowledge of how the Freedom Tower will have 2.9 million square feet of office space and be 1,776 feet tall, as he gazed up at its massive structure. As I continued on about office construction and the potential for 12.1 million square feet between now and 2017 throughout Manhattan, I lost him back to his game of Minecraft.

The Freedom Tower and Tower 4 are expected to be completed over the next 12 months, adding 5.9 million square feet to the Downtown inventory. Even with 42 percent of that space pre-leased, availability will still be significantly affected by the addition of 3.4 million square feet—and that in a market that already has 13.6 percent availability. The reports of media, entertainment and information services companies interested in the big blocks of space at Brookfield Place, like the recently announced 75,000-square-foot lease by GfK at 200 Liberty Street, will go a long way toward setting up Downtown to be able to absorb the new space coming online. Otherwise, Downtown will be facing an availability rate north of 16 percent, and that is without counting the 2.4 million square feet being constructed at Tower 3, scheduled for a late 2015 delivery.

So if you were keeping track, 8.3 million square feet of today’s construction is located Downtown, the rest is scattered throughout Midtown and Midtown South, and if one was to look out farther and examine the Hudson Yards, there is another 19 million square feet in the development pipeline—but that is a topic for another column.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:05 PM

How long do you guys think it will take after the tower's completion for broadcasting tenants to sign on so the communication ring will be filled up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive