HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Sewage infrastructure issues

We have a thread about the long-lived Chedoke Creek overflow tank leak that resulted in a massive discharge over time, but two smaller but longer leaks have been found since then.

Maybe that one can be merged into a more general thread? These new leaks are unlikely to be the last in Hamilton (and I highly doubt they won't be found in other cities with similar vintage sewer pipes)

As much as this seems like bad news, it's actually a good story since these leaks will be found and fixed, further improving water quality in the harbour. But the search will be long, extensive, and expensive.

I recently moved north of Gage Park near the Delta, and there have been workers going down utility access holes on Main and the side street I live on. Probably others in the area as well. It's hard to tell if they're focused on water and sewers or other utility work. Haven't seen a "honey wagon" (vacuum truck) yet so that's a good sign. But the pipes are mighty old in this part of town, so it would not surprise me if they're doing inspections.

Ontario issues order for Hamilton to improve sewage monitoring after spills into Lake Ontario
Province says Hamilton 'does not have adequate programs' to find sewage spills and more spills may be present

Bobby Hristova · CBC News · Jan 18, 2023

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...lton-1.6718374

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jan 19, 2023 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:35 AM

I think with the user base this is getting a bit too fine grain. Probably something that can be discussed in the general thread or the infrastructure thread.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 6:56 PM

At least the bay should be and continue to become cleaner.

2 questions come to mind.

a) what contractor worked on these illegal hook ups.

b) which city inspector was at each site. Work like that has to be signed off by someone from the city on site.

finally...follow the money

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
2 questions come to mind.

a) what contractor worked on these illegal hook ups.

b) which city inspector was at each site. Work like that has to be signed off by someone from the city on site.

finally...follow the money
Whoever it was is probably not in business any more, due to consolidation in the industry. City inspectors are probably long-retired by now.

I have no knowledge of what it's like to connect a new pipe to a main sewer line. But I have to wonder... if you make a hole, and it doesn't stink like it should, would that not be an indicator something isn't right? (not that our storm sewers are pleasantly fragrant)

@TheRitsman -- I looked for a more "general" infrastructure thread but didn't see one; maybe I missed it, or didn't look beyond this section of the Hamilton sub-forum. There are a number of them for roads, bikes, transit, the port and airport. If there's a better place for this stuff, by all means a moderator can move it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:59 PM

Yes, the contractor and City Inspector have rode off into the sunset but the "stink" remains. No doubt more illegal hook ups will be found. Fast forward to today and our roads. Ever driven over a road cut that was not properly backfilled and bottom out your car. Back when I was in that biz a roadcut permit was required and a City Inspector was on site and made sure the cut was properly compacted. Contractors both legit and fly by nighters are fleecing us. Who pays when the improper cut has to be repaired before final repair. Its big money. Lack of oversight is appalling.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure