HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
I could be mistaken but don't believe NYC allows corp signs atop buildings any longer - since maybe the 60s. MetLife would be a grandfathered example.
Not sure how that would be possible with Times Square existing today, and there are definitely signs on semi-recently built building like the Citigroup tower in LIC/Queens, and MetLife putting up signage in the 90s I believe, so it would have to be a newish rule.

I guess my biggest beef is with the idea of banning signs based on feelings or corporate hatred. I think the best approach is instead to regulate it by having the signs be done tastefully. You even mentioned your love for neon lights, and I 100% agree that they are beautiful. LED is obviously the future, and alone with being able to do wonderful jobs at lighting up buildings in ways we never could have before, they can also enable us to encourage these corporations to put some effort into their designs.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ilt-today.html

Other rules changed too, doesn't mean they aren't a part of what made New York(and likewise Chicago) great, and the rule changes definitely aren't always for the best. Sure, a lot of people despise the Trump tower sign, but most signs are inoffensive or pleasant to look at in my book. The PanAm building(or MetLife now as you pointed out) would never have been as iconic as it was without PanAm on its top. Signage when done right can be iconic at best, and usually inoffensive.

There are few instances that I can think of in which it was horrifyingly ugly, or made a building worse. I honestly think people hate the Trump sign not for its look but for who it stands for, and if we remove the politics from it, it really isn't bad looking, especially at night.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several well done signs in Chicago:

The Drake

Prudential 1

CNA on both buildings were/are inoffensive and worked with the towers they were/are built on

Chase Building, which is my favorite building in the city is a solid example of a sign being inoffensive(not great, but still, not a detraction), although it appears others disagree here?

BCBS Building's badges are just damn wonderful

UBS looks sleek

NBC Tower's is gorgeous, and compliments the art deco look perfectly

Citigroup center's is pretty meh(and that's my feeling on the BMO tower's)

You mentioned Loews, and I like that one

Boeing's is okay

And that's about all I can think of... but I think my point is made.

People need to chillax about signage in this great city

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive