HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Actually all of of this is correct. I'm not sure what you think is incorrect.
None of it is correct (except, as stated before, for the qualifiers you used). Any of us in healthcare can easily see that. However, as I said earlier, I don't want to go too off topic. This isn't a forum about the development of medical education or the school...it's a forum discussing the buildings themselves. I apologize for responding to the earlier off-topic post about the philosophy of the curriculum.

If Kevin deems this worthy to go in to the "off topic" thread, then by all means I will respond in more detail. But, for the sake of this particular thread...

Thank you so much LoneStarMike for the pictures.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
None of it is correct (except, as stated before, for the qualifiers you used). Any of us in healthcare can easily see that. However, as I said earlier, I don't want to go too off topic. This isn't a forum about the development of medical education or the school...it's a forum discussing the buildings themselves. I apologize for responding to the earlier off-topic post about the philosophy of the curriculum.

If Kevin deems this worthy to go in to the "off topic" thread, then by all means I will respond in more detail. But, for the sake of this particular thread...

Thank you so much LoneStarMike for the pictures.
Sorry for going off topic, but everything I said is correct. If you're in the healthcare field you should know this. My basis if from years of healthcare construction management.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry for going off topic, but everything I said is correct. If you're in the healthcare field you should know this. My basis if from years of healthcare construction management.
I always thought that construction management was an easy way of saying you're in healthcare.

You should reconsider your original post completely. For all you construction managers out there...I know the amazing work that you do is anything but easy.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:02 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Here's what you said:

"A Ph.D. is an easy way to say your (sic) a doctor" -- no, not at all. Medical doctors are M.D.s, not Ph.D.s.

"Surgeons get paid a lot because they are skilled" -- yes, but it's way more complicated than that. Surgeons get paid way more than they should, because there is a lack of supply because that skill has been made so hard to attain by the structure of our education system.

"I believe anesthesiologists are the highest paid at any given hospital" -- ha, http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/17/hos...est-table.html

"Hospitals are run by business people, not scientists" -- again, nope, hospitals are run by a team consisting of a CEO, COO, CFO, CNO (Chief Nursing Officer), and CMO (Chief Medical Officer), and COS (Chief of Surgery). Only the GOO and CFO are businesspeople. The CEO is more often than not someone with a medical/scientific background. Ergo, the team who runs the hospital is medical/scientific heavy. Teaching hospitals are usually much more medically heavy than for profit institutions given their particular mission...

In other words, everything you said was either partially or completely incorrect.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Here's what you said:

"A Ph.D. is an easy way to say your (sic) a doctor" -- no, not at all. Medical doctors are M.D.s, not Ph.D.s.

"Surgeons get paid a lot because they are skilled" -- yes, but it's way more complicated than that. Surgeons get paid way more than they should, because there is a lack of supply because that skill has been made so hard to attain by the structure of our education system.

"I believe anesthesiologists are the highest paid at any given hospital" -- ha, http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/17/hos...est-table.html

"Hospitals are run by business people, not scientists" -- again, nope, hospitals are run by a team consisting of a CEO, COO, CFO, CNO (Chief Nursing Officer), and CMO (Chief Medical Officer), and COS (Chief of Surgery). Only the GOO and CFO are businesspeople. The CEO is more often than not someone with a medical/scientific background. Ergo, the team who runs the hospital is medical/scientific heavy. Teaching hospitals are usually much more medically heavy than for profit institutions given their particular mission...

In other words, everything you said was either partially or completely incorrect.
I'm very aware of the difference between Ph.d and MD. Anyone can look up a Forbes article, but in reality anesthesiologists are still the highest paid. The people in charge are not doctors. Believe it or not. They may have a masters in business, but not a doctorate.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I'm very aware of the difference between Ph.d and MD. Anyone can look up a Forbes article, but in reality anesthesiologists are still the highest paid. The people in charge are not doctors. Believe it or not. They may have a masters in business, but not a doctorate.
Oi, you really want to dig in here in you wrongness. That's fine.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Oi, you really want to dig in here in you wrongness. That's fine.
I know I'm correct. List your sources. Forbes.com doesn't count. I don't really care about thi though. I'm gonna go trespass somewhere now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I know I'm correct. List your sources. Forbes.com doesn't count. I don't really care about thi though. I'm gonna go trespass somewhere now.
Forbes's data is culled from The Bureau of Labor Statistics... I just linked to Forbes because I thought it'd be something even you can understand.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Forbes's data is culled from The Bureau of Labor Statistics... I just linked to Forbes because I thought it'd be something even you can understand.
Everything I say is based on my experiences, not a website. Don't insult me because you disagree. I will use the Pulp Fiction meme again.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Everything I say is based on my experiences, not a website. Don't insult me because you disagree. I will use the Pulp Fiction meme again.
Your experience is an n of 1. The BLS data relies on systematic data reporting.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Your experience is an n of 1. The BLS data relies on systematic data reporting.
I hope insulting me makes you feel good.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I hope insulting me makes you feel good.
It isn't an insult. It's the truth. You're a very smart guy, just wrong on this particular set of facts.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:38 AM

A couple of weeks ago KXAN had a story about a hoarder in the North Austin Neighborhood of Crestview. It looks to be an up and coming neighborhood, and some neighbors are not happy. The owner wouldn't talk to KXAN, but he appears on Google Streetview.

Here's the story and video from KXAN:

http://kxan.com/2015/04/10/city-dema...ustin-eyesore/

Here's the home as seen from Google's last drive by. I can't imagine why he doesn't get along with his neighbors:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 AM

Hey. There's my house.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Hey. There's my house.
Iluv what you did with the place. It really stands out. That hot water heater laying on its side in the driveway was a nice touch.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:02 AM

There is a much messier looking house down here in my tidy little Maple Run neighborhood in SW Austin. It is hard to believe somebody lives in such a mess, and I don't understand how it can be legal to have your mess spread all over the front yard and driveway of your house like that. I understand that the neighbors here in Maple Run have tried repeatedly to get the city involved to no avail. Maybe our new single district council member (Troxclaire) will step up and get something done.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There is a much messier looking house down here in my tidy little Maple Run neighborhood in SW Austin. It is hard to believe somebody lives in such a mess, and I don't understand how it can be legal to have your mess spread all over the front yard and driveway of your house like that. I understand that the neighbors here in Maple Run have tried repeatedly to get the city involved to no avail. Maybe our new single district council member (Troxclaire) will step up and get something done.
The city seems to only have gotten involved with the Hardy Dr. hoarder because of the KXAN story. Austin has some pretty strict zoning that keeps some nice projects from being built - or at least built as envisioned by the developer. Yet crap like this gets ignored.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 4:48 AM

Wow - I somehow missed this one.

GDI Announces Plans For Vertical Entertainment District

Quote:
Austin’s premier entertainment conglomerate, GDI, unveiled its plans today to build Austin’s first vertical entertainment district. Inspired by the skyscraping monoliths of Dubai and Taiwan, the building will combine residential space with restaurants, nightclubs, and a premier shopping plaza.

“I wanted to bring Austin to the international entertainment stage. We are known as the ‘live music capital of the world’, but our current selection of venues are just too ‘Texas’. What Austin needs is an iconic building, something that no other city has” says Michael Girard, CEO of GDI. His vision is to create a monolithic skyscraper, which can be seen for miles around the city.

While the exact design plans have not been officially released at this time, we have been allowed to see the initial draw ups of the building. The iconic structure will feature a sleek modern design, and will house all the amenities one would expect in a world class entertainment district, including a rooftop pool bar, several floors of nightclubs and bars, restaurants, recording studios, and residential and commercial spaces. GDI’s existing venues will occupy several floors of the building. Speakeasy will remain on the bottom 2 floors, while TenOak and Imperia will occupy floors 3 and 4, respectively. Terrace59 will move from its existing location on the 3rd floor rooftop patio of the current Speakeasy building all the way to the top of the highrise.

Girard says he got the idea during a vacation in Dubai last year. After a night of heavy drinking, he was walking through the entertainment district and and got the idea to give Austin a more international flare right on Congress Avenue. “The buildings there are so modern and striking, housing world class restaurants, lounges and bars. I had a dream to make Austin the Dubai of the West!” Later, he contacted Wright, and asked if he could design a modern, iconic building for Austin. Wright, a long time admirer of the Austin music scene, loved the idea and started drawing up the plans right away. “It really was kismet!” says Girard.

Construction is slated to begin in October 2016 at the current site of Speakeasy, located on the main street of Texas, Congress Avenue. If everything goes according to plan, Austin partygoers will be partying hard in the GDI Vertical Entertainment District by New Years Eve 2020.

For more information contact GDI, 512-477-2789 ext 3

OK relax people. It was an April Fools joke.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:33 AM
Honored Member

That's more clever than the average April 1 news item. I was amused. I wonder if any outraged Austinites called that number and started shouting obscenities.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:09 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Wow. Yeah, I don't get that. I'm way to OCD for anything remotely close to that. I suppose his working theory is, "Everything is where I remember putting it, so it's easier to find..."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin