HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:15 AM

Since it was posted on the South Austin Memories page I'll bet that news was followed by twenty post complaining that the "iconic" Golden Corral was the heart and soul of South Lamar and it all going to hell since all those Californian carpetbaggers moved here. And Austin was so much cooler in the 50s. I like seeing the photos posted on that page but can't handle the comments.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 2:46 AM

^^ I looked a the attachment. The site is currently zoned for non-residential use. They are wanting the change it to Commercial multi-family. The applicant is Ardent Residential. Where it says number of units proposed it shows +/-300.

I used to eat at that Golden Corral years ago, but stopped going there because every time I went, you'd get your food but there were no clean tables where you could sit.

Having said that, I have mixed feelings about this. I won't mind seeing the Golden Corral torn down, but I suspect if those apartments are built, a large number of trees will need to be removed. That's the one thing I always liked about that lot - the number of trees. It's like a miniature forest.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:20 AM

Wasn't there word that an In n Out would replace the Wendy's next to the Golden Corral? Is that still happening?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:05 PM

^^I was wondering the same thing. The address is 3701 S. Lamar.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11208307

Looks like their site plan was rejected.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:34 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Wasn't there word that an In n Out would replace the Wendy's next to the Golden Corral? Is that still happening?
Oh no! Not THAT Wendy's! That's where my cousin passed out drunk, face-first into a plate of fries, and woke up when outlaw country-blues musician Billy Ray Raymond asked it he was OK. Clearly it must be preserved for all eternity or the Austin that I know and love will be lost forever.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
It looks like the city issued a permit for this project on May 12, 2014.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10934993

The elevations are shown on pages, 12, 13, 14 & 15.

It's a long narrow lot that's basically between the Post South Lamar Phase 1 and South Austin Music/Saxon Pub/ Abbey's Printing.

I happened to notice the other day that just north of that Abbey's printing are three vacant shops. One of them was Tammy's Cleaners. I don't know what the other two were because all the signage has been removed. At any rate, these three business and the parking in front of them has all been fenced off.

You can see the three vacant shops and the fence I'm talking about in street view

Tammy's was the little white building with red trim. The two other vacant shops are to the left of Tammy's. Not sure what - if anything - is planned for that lot.
Post Properties will be the developer for this development - Post South Lamar Phase II. The architects renderings have been updated to include the name of the building. All of the renderings and building information are available at http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/post-south-lamar-phase-2

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:06 PM

Iconic South Lamar Dive Horseshoe Lounge Will Move After 50 Years

Any speculation for this site?

Quote:
Iconic South Lamar Dive Horseshoe Lounge Will Move After 50 Years

After half a century on South Lamar, beloved divey beer bar The Horseshoe Lounge will move. Owner Tennia Brown tells Eater the bar will shutter on February 15, its fiftieth anniversary. The new location is under wraps until all the paperwork is signed, but Brown says it will be "nearby."

Brown says she's excited about the change. The space is showing wear and tear, and they've been unable to hold their regular fundraisers for the past several years due to a cramped parking lot. Brown says,

The Horseshoe Lounge is not just a building, it's a state of mind. The staff and customers are what make the bar.
Brown's mother and stepfather Rene and Jimmy Gewin opened the Horseshoe Lounge in 1965, according to their website. They're planning a massive sendoff February 13, 14, and 15. Brown says the new location should be announced soon, and the bar could reopen as early as March.

Update! Husband (and co-owner) Brad Brown says they've sold a partial ownership stake in the bar but plan to be still involved in the new location. Watch this space for further updates on the new location and ownership.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 9:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I like the owner's mentality and I wish more Austinites would see it that way.

Quote:
Brown says she's excited about the change. The space is showing wear and tear, and they've been unable to hold their regular fundraisers for the past several years due to a cramped parking lot. Brown says,

The Horseshoe Lounge is not just a building, it's a state of mind. The staff and customers are what make the bar.
It is important to preserve some of the past but the criteria for what should be preserved and what shouldn't has been muddied up so much in this city that many people actually think a sub part architectural run down old building somehow has enough historical value (which really doesn't), to fight tooth and nail for. Fact is its become a tool for the NIMBYS to use in preventing change.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:29 PM

I hope they can relocate the neon sign

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=LoneStarMike;6862046]I hope they can relocate the neon sign

I spoke to somebody last weekend that mentioned this was happening and that the sign is moving to the new location.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:57 AM
Meh

What media outlet was that article from, Sam? Gotta link?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What media outlet was that article from, Sam? Gotta link?
It appears to be from Eater.
http://austin.eater.com/2014/12/31/7...after-50-years

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 7:07 AM

KVUE also has a story on their website

"World famous" Horseshoe Lounge is moving

Here's a link to the Horseshoe Lounge's website

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
KVUE also has a story on their website
Here's a link to the Horseshoe Lounge's website
Website's nicer than the bar, ha!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I read on the South Austin Memories Facebook group someone said they heard the Golden Corral on South Lamar has been sold. The address is 3607 South Lamar. The only files I could find for it were for amending the lot.
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11235706
Here's some more recent filings:

Formal Development Assessment filed January 22, 2015

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11281871

Site Plan Administrative filed January 30, 2015

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11285501

Project will be called Lamar Flats.

Next door (wendy's at 3701 S. Lamar) has been closed and fenced off.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:28 AM
Everywhere all at once

If it looks anything like Gibson Flats up the road or Burnet Flats up north, I think we're in for a treat. Especially with the 704 just to the north and this Eskew Place development across the street.

And if nothing else...it's replacing a Golden Corral, which is just fine in my book.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:02 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Looks like that Golden Corral is moving to the I35 Frontage just north of that Ladera apartment complex. Finally saw the sign on the ground in the parking lot about to go up yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:01 PM

I had the (to me anyway) almost surreal experience of standing with friends for thirty minutes in a line of hipsterish types waiting to gain admission to the trendy new ramen noodle joint in the 1200 block of South Lamar last night. Some kind of art video was being projected on the wall of the parking lot to keep waiting customers amused. In the near background there were multiple new five or six story apartment projects under construction or recently completed. Beyond these buildings the new downtown towers loomed. There was something kind of "Big City" about the setting and the vibe. It was most definitely not the South Austin of old. I could not help wondering what John Kelso would make of it all. You don't hear much from him any longer, not that I am complaining.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:00 PM

^Thanks for supporting the best ramen on the planet. I have tried many in Japan and the tsukemen at Tatsu-ya is the best!!!! If you haven't been you need to try it, either the north or the south, they are both amazing!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:49 AM

This past Sunday (February 8, 2015) I pretty much walked/rode the bus down the length of Lamar and got a lot of photos on most of the major projects under construction. This post is from the stretch of South Lamar from Panther & Lamar, down to The 704,

The Wendy's - 3701 S. Lamar - is closed and fenced off now, That's where there's talk of putting in and In N Out Burger. I saw a Big Red Dog sign on the fence. At the very left of the photo, you can see some cars - that's the Golden Corral, where Ardent Residential wants to build apartments - Lamar Flats.

Across Lamar at 3600 S. Lamar is where they're building Eskew Place.

My complex (Retreat at Barton Creek) borders it to the south. BBT Bank and Red's porch border it to the north.

A different view from the north property line.

Down the street at The 704, the installed a new traffic signal and crosswalk a few months ago.

Since I was there, I thought I'd go up to the roof of the garage. You have to have a key to get to any floor other than 1. I lucked out. A maintenance person let me go up.

Hotel Van Zandt on the skyline. Those apartments in the foreground are The Cielo at Lamar & Manchaca.

The Lamar Pedestrian Bridge Grouping, From this angle, they all look like one building.

Looking back to the southwest. The crane is for Eskew Place - Retreat at Barton Creek Apts. behind that,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin