HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:20 AM

This is a very cool looking building from this angle. Thanks for the photo, Clev.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:55 AM

From Sunday and Monday February 8th & 9th 2015:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 7:27 PM

So much beige stucco! If even just one of those buildings had done something different!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:09 AM

That's not actually stucco.

Stucco looks like this:

And I like the uniformity in this area. The rest of Austin looks like a jumbled mess.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 12:30 AM

You're right, some of those buildings are brick or other materials. However, the fact that they all are beige and glass is pretty disappointing..and I think that's his point. They are all B effort designs with no character. I love that they are there, but I wish somebody would have put some effort into an eye catching design.

Hopefully the Proper and the Independent will actually get built. They will help the area tremendously.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
You're right, some of those buildings are brick or other materials. However, the fact that they all are beige and glass is pretty disappointing..and I think that's his point. They are all B effort designs with no character. I love that they are there, but I wish somebody would have put some effort into an eye catching design.
I'd agree with "B" effort if it's meant to acknowledge that these are still better than most residential highrises. I think what you are looking for is starchitecture, and that really comprises a very small amount of residential high rises. I definitely would like to see some of that in Austin, but I'm by no means upset about the quality of those buildings.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 1:41 AM

I think cities should look awe-inspiring, not every single building. That just causes architects to overreach and create white elephants. I'm okay with just decent-looking buildings being built. And I don't mind if they have a similar look. It creates culture and diversity. Diversity of areas rather than atomistic diversity everywhere. If this area develops its own signature look and individual culture (as a result) within Austin, then that would be cool with me. And I think a lot of people feel the same way.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I'd agree with "B" effort if it's meant to acknowledge that these are still better than most residential highrises. I think what you are looking for is starchitecture, and that really comprises a very small amount of residential high rises. I definitely would like to see some of that in Austin, but I'm by no means upset about the quality of those buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I think cities should look awe-inspiring, not every single building. That just causes architects to overreach and create white elephants. I'm okay with just decent-looking buildings being built. And I don't mind if they have a similar look. It creates culture and diversity. Diversity of areas rather than atomistic diversity everywhere. If this area develops its own signature look and individual culture (as a result) within Austin, then that would be cool with me. And I think a lot of people feel the same way.
I mostly agree with you guys. However, these are prime lots with unobstructed views from the south. Not every building in London needs to look like the Shard, and not every building in Seattle needs to be a space needle, but you DO need a few signature standouts to truly have a memorable skyline. I'm just saying I'd like to see one or two of those pop up during this growth spurt.

...and lay off the beige. Greys and other earth tones can be appealing (Northshore, Westin, JW, etc.)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:01 AM

Today.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Today.

The views of Bowie from the main plaza are fucking sexy as fuck.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:58 AM

It's just a shame I had to trespass to get that shot.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 7:14 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Lol

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I'm not looking for "starchitecture". I have no real issue with the buildings' designs. Whether or not the facade can be referred to as stucco doesn't matter. I just think a little bit of color would have gone a long way. If only one of them would have gone with a color other than beige, I think it would break up the monotony and make that part of the skyline more interesting.

Last edited by paul78701; Feb 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM. Reason: fix typo

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:33 PM

I hope the roof and penthouse don't have that under construction look when it's done. I get that feeling from JW Marriott and probably will with the Westin.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 12:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I've mentioned before how uncanny the West End cluster is in design and coloration. I swear it's like there's a department at city hall where they planned it to match. Built at different times yet it's almost as if it was designed by the same architecture firm.

At first I felt the same as paul78701. I felt it was too much of the same thing but if you take a closer look there are slight differences. The colors of the windows bring some variation to each building. Also the shorter residential building is darker and that gives contrast. All in all its grown on me.

The only downside as others have said is from certain angles the Spring and Bowie seem to merge into one blob of a building and it looks strange.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 2:38 AM

Its kind of funny how 10 years ago we all probably would have wet our pants in public to get these buildings built in any color even all the same color. I think there's enough differences between them that the color simularities is a very minor issue. I actually like how they blend in together. I'm not sure contrasting would have worked since they are so close together. Just my opinion...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:48 AM

Not sure how this would work, but a sky bridge between The Bowie and Whole Foods is currently in the works. In the picture, there appears to be a green mark over Bowie St. to the property being developed into Shoal Creek Walk. I don't know how this connects to The Bowie apartments where Whole Foods will have 2 floors of offices. Anyone know about this?

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2015/0...in-news-bites/

Update - just found this - http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=226320

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Not sure how this would work, but a sky bridge between The Bowie and Whole Foods is currently in the works. In the picture, there appears to be a green mark over Bowie St. to the property being developed into Shoal Creek Walk. I don't know how this connects to The Bowie apartments where Whole Foods will have 2 floors of offices. Anyone know about this?
Pretty cool. I love skywalks. Not so good for street-level retail, but the idea of living in the Bowie and getting your groceries without having to leave climate controlled spaces could be pretty awesome.

Our company used to have an office in one of the Houston Galleria buildings connected to the mall via skywalk. When I'd work there, I'd stay in one of the hotels that also connected to the mall. So I could work, eat, sleep, workout in the gym, and shop without ever having to put on a jacket or worry about sweating in the humidity.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:38 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's connecting Shoal Creek Walk to Bowie, not the actually grocery store. At least that's how I understand it. Whole Foods will have offices in both buildings, I believe.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It's connecting Shoal Creek Walk to Bowie, not the actually grocery store. At least that's how I understand it. Whole Foods will have offices in both buildings, I believe.
Thanks, I guess I didn't catch that. Well, it would be cool if they connected it from Shoal Creek Walk to the WF building also. Seems like there could be a financial incentive for WF to do that; extra customers from 2 buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin