HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:45 AM

^^Not a fan of those ground floor louvers...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 12:46 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
What can i do to spark a little more competition between Harry and George!! Great pics guys! I try to do some photography myself of some of the cities architecture but you guys always come up with great composition and for some of these projects very frequent and pertinent updates. Kudos to you.
Funny & thanks. I like to think Harry, myself and the many photo contributors all compliment each other on these threads. Keep the great pics coming!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 2:46 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Man, there is so much more heavy work involved in creating the Riverwalk than I would have ever imagined. I guess I always just imagined something more akin to a boardwalk.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 4:20 PM
you know where I'll be

^ No serious observer of Chicago and it's neighborhoods and racial dynamics and history should be the least bit surprised by the study's results..........sad to say......

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:45 PM

Checking In On The British School's South Loop Campus [Curbed Chicago]

Quote:
Critics of the project will also most likely have something to say about how the south and east faces of the building currently have gray, featureless, bunker-style designs despite the renders and model shown of the design featuring a uniform exterior across all sides.
Surprise!

Model shown at the groundbreaking:

Renders:

Looks like they cheaped out on the finish for the "non important" walls, which are the sides that about 80% of the neighborhood are going to see from their homes. I don't think they're planning on adding an outer layer because the walls already line up flush with each other.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:50 PM
The City

Wow this is just pure, tacky suburban crap. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 5:58 PM

Just how cheap is Antunovich anyway? If you were to hire them over, say, JDL or bKL, how much would you be saving? 20%? 60%?

Or would this call be up to the developer and not the designer?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Just how cheap is Antunovich anyway? If you were to hire them over, say, JDL or bKL, how much would you be saving? 20%? 60%?

Or would this call be up to the developer and not the designer?
If the renders/models show it as brick on the upper level, I would assume that the architect intended it that way and the developer cut it to plain concrete. I assume it will be painted to match the beige precast on the front.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:07 PM
TL;DR

I'm guessing they plan to paint the two concrete sides in similar shades to the brick. Look at that last rendering, you can see reveal lines in the precast panels facing Taylor but facing the rail viaduct it is flat and featureless.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:21 PM
tilted & shifted

This building is an affront to all that's good and decent in the world.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:40 PM

Apparently there is a huge contingent of parents from the British School grade school who are pulling their children out because they don't want them to go to high school on the other side of the city (most parents are based in Lincoln Park). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this location ends in total failure for the British School because it makes absolutely zero sense for them to locate here and is clearly downright chintzy compared to the luxury parents are looking to slather their kids in (see GEMS academy) for the kind of money. I sure as hell wouldn't pay British School prices when I could send my kids to high schools like Jones College Prep, GEMS new HS, or old school institutions like Ignatius for far less.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 9:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks like a distro center out on 55.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:13 PM

Everything about the new British School is terrible from a design standpoint. Why the elliptical path? Why the blah design? Why the look of a suburban warehouse? The rooftop connection to RC should be as quick of a route from end to end as possible to get the pedestrian off the street and to the Roosevelt street level. I guess it really doesn't matter though. That whole area is a mess. It will always have a massive car presence (thanks to Target, RC, and the new massive shopping structure on Canal). The saving grace of the area would be a major development from Taylor St. south to Roosevelt between Wells and the River. But the roads would be another issue with that...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:49 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Riverwalk

I am really glad they are trying to push for an enclosed element during the winter. Obviously to be a year round destination put to its best use it will have to be an all-season destination instead of a 4-6 month nice diversion for half the year and is next to useless the rest.

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...806-story.html
City Hall looking for team to manage Riverwalk
August 6, 2014, 9:28 PM

City Hall is looking for a team to add more than 100,000 square feet of retail space along the city’s Riverwalk and generate enough money to help pay off the $99 million federal loan being used to extend the scenic walkway along the Chicago River..

The group of developers, builders, property managers and maybe even advertising pros would oversee not only the six-block section of the Riverwalk that’s under construction along the south side of the river between State and Lake streets, but also the existing portion between Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive........
........Considering the sometimes brutal winters that feature brisk, chilly winds along the river, the year-round component may be a tough sell, something the city concedes. “In climates with weather uncertainty, some architectural designs that are becoming popular include tenting, retractable roofing, patio enclosures and adaptable awnings,” according to the bid documents........
Shannon Breymaier, an Emanuel spokeswoman, said the city seeks “a year-round destination that reflects the spirit of the city, and this potentially could also include some enclosed spaces.”
.......Additional development could be added to the already built portion, including adding a second story to the space now housing O’Brien’s Riverwalk Cafe just east of Wabash Street and shops east, between Michigan Avenue and Columbus Drive, according to the documents........

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:07 AM

Who in their right mind would think this is/could be a place to inspire creativity and learning?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Apparently there is a huge contingent of parents from the British School grade school who are pulling their children out because they don't want them to go to high school on the other side of the city (most parents are based in Lincoln Park). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this location ends in total failure for the British School because it makes absolutely zero sense for them to locate here and is clearly downright chintzy compared to the luxury parents are looking to slather their kids in (see GEMS academy) for the kind of money. I sure as hell wouldn't pay British School prices when I could send my kids to high schools like Jones College Prep, GEMS new HS, or old school institutions like Ignatius for far less.
Jones is CPS. I went there. You test into it.

But anyone from any background can go there because it's a public school.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Jones is CPS. I went there. You test into it.

But anyone from any background can go there because it's a public school.
I'm well aware, in fact that's literally exactly my point. Who would want to send their kids to the shitty British school when they can get essentially the same education at a free selective school, the same education at a significantly cheaper Catholic school, or the same education at the similarly expensive GEMS school which has a much nicer building in a much nicer location. It's completely bizarre thatbthe British school is choosing such a garbage building on the fringes of an industrial wasteland. How are they planning on competing? What's their selling point? We have a shitty park on our roof? Not when GEMS is located fronting one of the nicest parks in the city. They must be targeting people who can't buy taste with the "we have tea and crumpets, how sophisticated" pitch...

I have a feeling they might be completely lost in a forrest of much nicer, much flashier competitors and end up closing their doors in the not so distant future.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:13 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Everything about the new British School is terrible from a design standpoint. Why the elliptical path? Why the blah design? Why the look of a suburban warehouse? The rooftop connection to RC should be as quick of a route from end to end as possible to get the pedestrian off the street and to the Roosevelt street level. I guess it really doesn't matter though. That whole area is a mess. It will always have a massive car presence (thanks to Target, RC, and the new massive shopping structure on Canal). The saving grace of the area would be a major development from Taylor St. south to Roosevelt between Wells and the River. But the roads would be another issue with that...

Yep, it's turning out every bit as bad as I expected, and actually I think quite possibly worse. Nothing about it makes sense, from the gag-inducing design to the actual program/business plan (as others are pointing out, this could very well turn out to be a flop), to the park on the roof, to the staircase to the overall access issues to Roosevelt level that this clearly fails to address. What the hell was the British School thinking? I'm assuming it was all Structured and VDT pushing for quality at their Halsted location, because it couldn't possibly have been the British School itself - otherwise, how could you go from that to this pile of shit? One day you're working with Joe Valerio, and the next with Joe 'Antunafish' (borrowed!)??

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Aug 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:29 PM

British School

Of course, the building is a BIG disappointment. But I'm glad it is located in the South Loop. That immediate area desperately needed some variety. This school might spark additional varied developments in an area that had stood vacant for generations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development