HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Y'all. We don't even know what The Independent looks like yet. We have a conceptual massing, not any actual design.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:03 AM

Downtown Pictures, January 18, 2015

Random pictures taken downtown on 01'18'2015.

Seaholm, taken from railroad tracks:

311 Bowie:

Seaholm Tower, 3rd and West. The last photo in this group has a view of 4 different projects going on at once:

New library and bridge over 2nd Street:

Green Water and the hole being dug behind it for another project:

Green Water:

Panorama of Auditorium Shores, taken from across the river:

Full sizes available here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130097045@N02/

Last edited by ROCrot; Jan 24, 2015 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:09 AM

Nice

Last edited by midtownstarbucky; Jan 24, 2015 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:11 AM

Figured it out...

Posting photos to this board from Flickr is pure torture - for each photo, you have to figure out which server farm it's in, and which server, the photo's ID number, the photo's "secret" number, and your user ID, and put all that data in the BB code.

For. Each. Photo.

And then they show up much smaller than they appear in your Flickr photo stream!

Never going to do that again...

I may have mis-captioned the photos - I'm exhausted and delirious from all the hoops I had to jump through!

Last edited by ROCrot; Jan 24, 2015 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
This is 800 Congress Ave. The plan on COA is for one story with a covered roof terrace.
I think this is the rendering for it:

I found it on the Historical Landmark Commission's website.

It was from the May 19, 2014 meeting.
Backup - C.4 - 800 Congress Avenue - PLANS (8.5MB)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCrot View Post
Figured it out...

Posting photos to this board from Flickr is pure torture - for each photo, you have to figure out which server farm it's in, and which server, the photo's ID number, the photo's "secret" number, and your user ID, and put all that data in the BB code.

For. Each. Photo.

And then they show up much smaller than they appear in your Flickr photo stream!

I may have mis-captioned the photos - I'm exhausted and delirious from all the hoops I had to jump through!
Posting from Flickr is torture on every forum I post on too. I don't know why Yahoo made it suck so bad - I used to love Flickr. Now I've started saving Flickr images and hosting them on Photobucket where they make it easy.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:19 PM

Psssst... http://imgur.com/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:58 PM

Really nice shots!! Thanks for going through the excruciating process of linking them onto here.

Quote:
Random pictures taken downtown on 01'18'2015.

Seaholm, taken from railroad tracks:

311 Bowie:

Seaholm Tower, 3rd and West. The last photo in this group has a view of 4 different projects going on at once:

New library and bridge over 2nd Street:

Green Water and the hole being dug behind it for another project:

Green Water:

Panorama of Auditorium Shores, taken from across the river:

Full sizes available here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130097045@N02/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Figured it out...

For. Each. Photo.

It's why I don't post. :-( pain in the ass and I don't want folks directed to my professional flicker page..... and have no desire for a second!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:06 AM

Not a major project, but something I happened to notice in part of the documents of the Design Commission's September 2014 meeting was for 702 E. 3rd.

Quote:
The project is in the conceptual planning stages. The current request is to vacate a "paper alley" in order to develop the Property with its highest, best, and most dense use for the downtown area. The Property is restricted by several overlays, including the Capitol View Corridor limiting the development potential greatly. The legal vacation of the non-existent and non-functional alley will allow a greater use to occupy this important downtown block which is adjacent to the up and coming Waller Creek corridor. The Property is identified as a "potential development" site in both the Waller Creek Master Plan and the Downtown Austin Plan. The conceptual project is proposed to be a 34,571 square foot mixed use building with commercial and office uses, no more than 40' in height with underground structured parking and internal offstreet loading.
This block is bounded by Red River on the west, 4th St on the north, IH-35 frontage road on the east and 3rd on the south. The project is the eastern half of the block between 3rd & 4th facing IH-35. The architect is Rhode Partners.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 6:14 AM
Meh

Quote:
Figured it out...

For. Each. Photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's why I don't post. :-( pain in the ass and I don't want folks directed to my professional flicker page..... and have no desire for a second!
Definitely check out http://imgur.com/ as Syndic suggested. Flickr, Photobucket, Imageshack, etc, I've been through them all, and they all at some point turn to crud. Imgur, though, has been cool so far, and I've been using it for around 3 years I think.

There's also some good comic relief there on their front page. lol

Nice pics, by the way.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:14 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Not a major project, but something I happened to notice in part of the documents of the Design Commission's September 2014 meeting was for 702 E. 3rd.

This block is bounded by Red River on the west, 4th St on the north, IH-35 frontage road on the east and 3rd on the south. The project is the eastern half of the block between 3rd & 4th facing IH-35. The architect is Rhode Partners.
Yaaaaaaaaaaas bitch! Finally we get the proper mentality about these lots that are obstructed by CVCs. If only we could get the same mentality about the lots NOT obstructed by CVCs.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 12:42 PM

That's where the Crossfit gym is currently (in a previously unused warehouse). Didn't think that lot would stay like that for long.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Eastside Village: Has this been posted before?

http://wba.spacecrafted.com/featured...e-austin-texas

The Arnold Oil building has just been demolished so this should be starting construction soon. Although I don't think I would personally want a balcony with a view of the White Horse's patio.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:51 AM
Honored Member

Wow, East Sixth is getting more yuppie. I love the infill and density but I sure wish there were more chaos and less corporate sterility in the projects that are being developed around there. Seems like it's just obliterating any sense of place and history and replacing it with generic chic corporate fakery. I wish we had more giant warehouses and industrial facilities that could be converted by creative people for creative space. Like the Brewery art colony NW of downtown LA. But these mixed-use projects are all characterized by the same underlying concepts, rules, restrictions. They attract yuppies and yuppie businesses. More salons, chiropractic offices, and smoothie shops. If Starbucks ever opens in central east Austin then I'll know it's time to throw in the towel on keeping even a remnant of Austin weird.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

I can't recall if it was on here but I've definitely seen that Eastside Station project before and it looks great but I'm glad you posted that because maybe one of y'all can answer me something else. I was looking at the site on Google Earth, and was also examining the new imagery (which they FINALLY updated so now it's current as of Oct 2014, as opposed to Oct 2013)...and there's a site immediately south of this one that it appears they were pouring a foundation on at the time 4 months ago. Between 5th and 4th, Comal and Chicon, someone help me, what is that project??

I love what's happening in East Austin and throughout the city. South Lamar, the Triangle, Mueller, East Riverside...these projects are what are going to turn this formerly small city into a big city that looks like one. I love what's going on downtown, but only skyscrapers do not a city make.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:06 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

http://austintowers.net/east-side-de...-saltillo-tod/

Quote:
Seven blocks east a mixed use project is planned at 1700 E. 4th Street. The project consists of two buildings, the first of which will be an 82,000 square foot, four-story building with parking and a second which will be a 76,000 square foot, three- story building.
Just west of that project is the Plaza Saltillo project being designed by Endeavor. You can search "saltillo" on this board and find some posts about it. There was a design competition last year and Endeavor was chosen.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all

That article has a link at the bottom that takes you to the 4 proposed designs.

Another article: http://buildingatx.com/2014/07/devel...saltillo-site/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:45 AM

This isn't even on the emerging projects page yet, but Boka Powell is doing a density study for 4th & Brazos

Quote:
Located near the Convention Center along a resurgent restaurant corridor, the 4th & Brazos density study consists of 260,000 sf of high rise residential across 296 units. It incorporates an amenity deck over a parking garage, as well as ground floor retail and restaurants, all designed to work within the Austin Great Streets program.

Our process of rapidly creating site studies that can plug into development pro-formas allows our development partners to make more informed decisions about potential site opportunities
Link

Two images from the above website:

edited to add: never mind. This must have been an old study that's still on Boka Powell's website. I think this lot is where Brazos Hall is now.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Jan 28, 2015 at 3:15 AM. Reason: added more info

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:57 AM
Meh

Via the Independent's Facebook page.

The Independent Austin - https://www.facebook.com/independent...type=1&theater

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:40 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...ourthouse.html

Bond for courthouse this November... if approved I would assume construction starts in 2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin