HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
If the tower portion above the parking garage looks good, I think I'm ok with the garage cover up. It would kind of be like a good looking person with ugly shoes.
That's OK as long as you don't have a foot fetish.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:33 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

show feet pls

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:14 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It's to hide the parking. But it's only slightly better than looking at the front end of a bunch of stacked cars.
It reminds me of a type of late 1960s "modern" look, associated mainly with interior design. I don't know why I think that, it just strikes me that way. And that was one ugly era in design, so I ain't down with them kicks.

In keeping with the minor diversion into foot fetishes, "I will pay someone to create a model of the Austin skyline and then stomp on it with bare feet. Camera should be at ground level looking up at soles of feet."

I have no idea what that fetish is about, but I've seen a number of video requests along those lines in YouTube comments. We're an odd species.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 6:54 PM

Mac Pike with the Sutton Company (developer of Waller Park Place) will be speaking at an Urban Land Institute breakfast later this month discussing the development in the Waller Creek area and Austin's Eastern Corridor. Little Doug will be there too.

http://austin.uli.org/event/january-...tern-corridor/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Mac Pike with the Sutton Company (developer of Waller Park Place) will be speaking at an Urban Land Institute breakfast later this month discussing the development in the Waller Creek area and Austin's Eastern Corridor. Little Doug will be there too.

http://austin.uli.org/event/january-...tern-corridor/
Did anyone go to this or hear about any updates? The Waller Park Place project is way overdue for some news IMO.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Did anyone go to this or hear about any updates? The Waller Park Place project is way overdue for some news IMO.
Yes. Pike went through the stats on the buildings a bit fast for me to catch it - included multiple uses, office, residential, hotel as we've heard before. However, when asked about important dates for his project, for whatever it's worth he did say they intend to break ground middle of this year and finish by 2018.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:13 PM
Honored Member

Has the design for this been finalized or are we likely to see more updated renderings? It sure has morphed since it was originally proposed. I was very encouraged to see that Pike participated in this ULI event.

Now if we would just hear a peep from 99 Trinity...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:43 PM
Member since 2001

I have not been able to check it out...but, Sutton's office is located in the base of the convention center parking garage (corner of San Jacinto & C. Chavez). They have several rendering boards up in their boardroom...which you can see thought the window.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:06 PM

No new info, but at least there was a paperwork update dated yesterday;

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11055030

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:09 PM

Looks like they submitted an administrative site plan for trail improvements.
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11289365

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:55 PM
Member since 2001

The development team of McCourt Global & Sutton Co. have purchased the land on the SE corner of C. Chavez & Red River (the dirt parking lots across the street from the Fairmont site).

The plan seems to tie this new site into the already planned Waller Park Place site and possibly add up to ~600,000 SF of space (for a total of ~2 million SF of space spread over the entire project).

AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN: Developers buy more land...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Awesome. I don't think that IHOP is long for this world.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

If they do indeed intend to keep the original site at 1.4 million sf then an additional 600,000 sf on the new lot, would that mean an additional 2 buildings or will they finally build a really tall tower?

It seems to me that with the added lot the entire layout for the project could change. Will we have to wait for new renderings or do they plan on building in two phases? (seems more reasonable)
In that case it may be years before anything is built on that lot.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:27 PM

That's great news!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:05 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If they do indeed intend to keep the original site at 1.4 million sf then an additional 600,000 sf on the new lot, would that mean an additional 2 buildings or will they finally build a really tall tower?

It seems to me that with the added lot the entire layout for the project could change. Will we have to wait for new renderings or do they plan on building in two phases? (seems more reasonable)
In that case it may be years before anything is built on that lot.
Interesting. I'm really curious what they plan on doing.

Austonian is around 590,000 square feet. Just eye-balling it, this lot looks bigger than the Austonian's lot. One really tall tower would rock, but I'm guessing it'll be two 400-footers. haha

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:06 PM
Meh

They could always add a grocery store, but I really have to wonder if having a grocery store along the creek would be the best use of that land. I do wonder what they're planning, though. It seems like they already have a good mix of things, unless they're just planning another residential or office tower.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:11 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The traffic in that area is going to be absolute crap. Slaughter & I35 (Southpark Meadows) x10.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:14 PM

Good news, but I wish they would provide a timeline or firm start date for their project. Buying this land is a fairly safe investment for them. I just hope they don't use it as an excuse to "re-think" their project and delay initial construction while they supposedly engage in additional planning. There is no way they are going to build five buildings with more than 2,000,000 square feet at one time. I don't like projects that get built in multiple stages because frequently a lot of it never gets built. Truthfully, I don't think they are entirely sure what they would like to build. The Waller Creek project may or may not transform that area into a mecca for visitors similar to River Walk in San Antonio. Probably until they have a clearer picture of how that area is going to evolve they won't commit to building big there. I predict that they start out with only one building, and I hope it is a large and tall office building. McCourt is mostly doing residential in New York, so residential might be a more likely initial outcome.

If they do residential, I can imagine a decent sized super market in a lower level or below courtyard level of the building. That frequently happens in other cities when a super market goes into a new center city project. I used to shop in a kind of underground Giant Supermarket in DC located right off Connecticut Ave. in a three building high rise (for DC, not that high) complex.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:29 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Good news, but I wish they would provide a timeline or firm start date for their project.
Maybe they couldn't due to the change in the scale of the project and the negotiation process in securing the new tracts of land (I believe the "new" site is comprised of at least one or two tracts of land)?!?

Maybe, now that they have the land, they can focus on how the project will be designed and evolve?!? Thus, being able to provide a timeframe to the general public in the near future?!? With new renderings?!?

The fact that there is potential of a larger project should be taken as a positive sign.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 11:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It seems to me that with the added lot the entire layout for the project could change.
That seems pretty likely, given that they've gone through a few renditions of it already.

I'm very optimistic about this, as I believe they have a grand vision for what Waller Creek will become, and they want to be a major part of it. I'm also very encouraged to see such big-time investment so close to the dreaded I-35, because these major stakeholders will have a powerful motive to push for a property-value-maximizing and aesthetically pleasing solution to the problem with that freeway, which could generate greater momentum for one of the options for dropping the freeway out of sight and out of mind. And that really needs to happen, because what is becoming of the entire Waller Creek diversion zone is pretty spectacular and would be doubly so if that damned freeway weren't generating so many problems.

In the immortal words of my favorite locally-conceived cartoon misfits, "This is gonna be cool!" Heh heh... uhh.... huhuhuh....yeah!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin