HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 6:52 PM

Arcane Question

When I was a child, the street signs in The University neighborhood used to be orange with white letters. Not "burnt" orange, but the "Tennessee" orange coach Royal dropped for "burnt" orange, triggering an outcry among older Exes about "meddling with the uniforms". When were they changed to the white-on-green found in every city in the US?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:48 AM

Sort of on topic, the last time I checked (many years ago) the street signs in College Station were green and white while the signs in Bryan were maroon and white. Struck me as odd at the time.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:37 AM
Meh

Usually public streets here are green and white. The private ones are a different color. In the case of the University of Texas, their's are not green and white, since that land and even the streets are university property. It's the reason they can block off streets and restrict access at certain points to anyone without a university ID. It also makes some projects exempt from city rules, and I really hate it because it means no searchable public records for them.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 8:25 AM

Thanks for sharing~@!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It also makes some projects exempt from city rules, and I really hate it because it means no searchable public records for them.
It's great, because it means they can't be blocked by Austin NIMBYs.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Usually public streets here are green and white. The private ones are a different color. In the case of the University of Texas, their's are not green and white, since that land and even the streets are university property. It's the reason they can block off streets and restrict access at certain points to anyone without a university ID. It also makes some projects exempt from city rules, and I really hate it because it means no searchable public records for them.
That's interesting. The family home was at 30th and Speedway. That may have been on University-owned land.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin