HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 3:34 PM

The census will be going on as usual. My partner has been hired to be a census worker. Training was supposed to occur in April, but it is now scheduled in May. They will be out canvassing this Summer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 8:49 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm on that same trend as well.

first child was born when i was 38, second child was born two weeks after my 40th birthday.

fortunately i married a bit younger so my wife was only 35 & 36, respectively.

first child in mid-to-late 30s is not terribly unusual anymore.
It's funny you say that because my mom was 34 when she had me in 1966 and she thought she was too old to have kids. She had my three dufus brothers in her 20's which was the norm in the 1950's. I came along 10 years after she had my third brother.

It's interesting how the mindset has changed.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 8:51 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Coronavirus and Census Twenty-twenty

The Census is Constitutionally mandated to occur this year. I can't imagine they can get an accurate number. What will be the fallout? Can Congress postpone?
I just did mine online today.

It was fairly easy.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I just did mine online today.

It was fairly easy.
If you speak very little English, have a family member that's undocumented, live in an unpermitted or nonconforming dwelling structure, and don't have an internet connection, it may not as easy. That's why the Census hires hundreds of thousands of Enumerators to knock on doors. There are millions of people in this country that fits into at least one of those situations, if not all of them. They may very well be missed in the official count.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 10:35 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
If you speak very little English, have a family member that's undocumented, live in an unpermitted or nonconforming dwelling structure, and don't have an internet connection, it may not as easy. That's why the Census hires hundreds of thousands of Enumerators to knock on doors. There are millions of people in this country that fits into at least one of those situations, if not all of them. They may very well be missed in the official count.
They will probably have to extend all the deadlines for everything, especially now...they can't go knocking on doors for possibly a few months. It was easy to do online though, and that's good especially if people can do it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
They will probably have to extend all the deadlines for everything, especially now...they can't go knocking on doors for possibly a few months. It was easy to do online though, and that's good especially if people can do it.
The plan is to start knocking on doors in June through July. It was originally going to be in May and June.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 5:15 AM

I did mine about a week ago.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The census will be going on as usual. My partner has been hired to be a census worker. Training was supposed to occur in April, but it is now scheduled in May. They will be out canvassing this Summer.
This could be a temporary job option for laid-off restaurant and retail workers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 8:34 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
This could be a temporary job option for laid-off restaurant and retail workers.
Hiring is already completed.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Huh? Why would being undocumented make filling out the census hard?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:37 AM

Because of fears that filling out the census could lead to that family member being deported.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylover94 View Post
Because of fears that filling out the census could lead to that family member being deported.
Jesus. If that is your concern, it isn't that filling out the census survey is hard or easy, it's just a matter of either filling it out at all or not.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:47 PM

I find the overwhelmingly widespread public concept of impunity towards illegal immigrants very interesting in the United States. Seems like nobody cares that laws are being broken and that everyone in the situation has somehow been wronged by society.

Also, no country is obliged to accept anyone so I find it interesting how so many believe they deserve it or should be granted whatever they want, for no reason.

Doesn't mean we can't be compassionate though. It means that laws can be changed but everyone should be expected to follow them, and that nobody get special treatment. If they don't, they'll be deported no matter where they come from.

I did my census form today and it took literally 3-4 mins.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I find the overwhelmingly widespread public concept of impunity towards illegal immigrants very interesting in the United States. Seems like nobody cares that laws are being broken and that everyone in the situation has somehow been wronged by society.

Also, no country is obliged to accept anyone so I find it interesting how so many believe they deserve it or should be granted whatever they want, for no reason.

Doesn't mean we can't be compassionate though. It means that laws can be changed but everyone should be expected to follow them, and that nobody get special treatment. If they don't, they'll be deported no matter where they come from.
It seems that your cartoonish worldview re. immigration policy has been shaped from right-wing/nativist media sources, since all your assumptions/premises are caricatures not rooted in reality.

But if you truly believe that people who want a sane path to immigration like the rest of the planet are actually endorsing mass-lawbreaking, open borders and generalized chaos, go with it, I guess.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

2019 Estimates for Cities and Towns released:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...t-growing.html

Quote:
MAY 21, 2020 — Since 2010, populations in cities in the southern and western regions of the United States experienced rapid growth. The South leads the way with 10 of the top 15 fastest-growing large U.S. cities, with a population of 50,000 or more, according to new population estimates for cities and towns, the Census Bureau reports today.

“Frisco, Texas, tops the list of the fastest-growing large cities with a growth rate of 71.1%, increasing its population by more than half since April 1, 2010,” says Amel Toukabri, chief of the Local Government Estimates and Migration Processing Branch in the Census Bureau’s Population Division. For a complete list, see fastest-growing large cities 2010-2019.

With respect to numeric change, cities in Texas are among those that have added the most people this decade. Collectively, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Fort Worth and Dallas increased by almost 933,600 people. This equals 39.5% of the roughly 2.4 million increase by the top 15 numeric gainers.

Among the 15 U.S. cities or towns with populations of 50,000 or more as of April 1, 2010, that had the largest numeric increases since 2010, eight were located in the South, five in the West, and one each in the Northeast and the Midwest. Phoenix, Ariz., tops the list of the 15 largest numeric gainers with an increase of over 234,300 people or an average of 25,330 people per year between 2010 and 2019. Aside from New York, New York, and Columbus, Ohio, the other cities making up the list of the largest numeric gainers were located in the South or West.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:08 PM

How does New York City lose 53,000 in a single year though?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
2019 Estimates for Cities and Towns released:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...t-growing.html

Ah, thank you for posting this.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
This was already discussed in the NYC thread since the population estimate for NYC can be calculated through the country estimates released earlier this year.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

In emptier Manhattan, low census responses prompt outreach to those who left

This story was originally published on May 20, 2020 by THE CITY.

Census organizers typically make a special effort to reach people who may have a hard time filling out their forms — often, people born in another country, who speak a language other than English or don’t have internet access.

Now, census organizers have another cohort to worry about amid the pandemic: New Yorkers who call some of the wealthiest parts of the city home.

In some of the most exclusive reaches of Manhattan, response rates are dragging behind 2010 figures by double digits, data shows.

more:
https://www.amny.com/manhattan/in-em...hose-who-left/

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Probably due to less people moving in to replace the standard bleed of retirees and snowbirds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions