HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFloyd View Post
So how much areas like this one in downtown LA add to your claimed density?

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0442...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0428...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0443...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0432...7i13312!8i6656

I guess camping out on the sidewalks will definitely add to it; although, obviously, I don't know about the quality of that urbanity you claim.
Those are pictures of Skid Row, which is a several square block area filled with homeless and shelters. Not sure what that has to do with the density of Downtown LA or LA in general.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
So how much areas like this one in downtown LA add to your claimed density?

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0442...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0443...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0432...7i13312!8i6656

I guess camping out on the sidewalks will definitely add to it; although, obviously, I don't know about the quality of that urbanity you claim.
Ugh, good job of showing a part of the city everyone avoids. Yes, all of downtown looks like that.

This has to be the dumbest post I've seen on this forum, and that's saying a TON.

Don't make it stupider by saying this the city's favored quarter, ok? Like that one post..

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 12:08 AM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Those are pictures of Skid Row, which is a several square block area filled with homeless and shelters. Not sure what that has to do with the density of Downtown LA or LA in general.
You are not sure what "LA's Skid Row has to do with LA in general'?
That must be the statement of the year; but thankfully for you, it is still January.

Please don't take it personally; I'm mostly replying to dc denizen idiotic comments. See below, he is now saying that Vancouver homeless are fueling LA's skid Row. If that is not the epitome of BS and self-delusion, then what is?

Love Malibu, by the way.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by PFloyd; Jan 12, 2020 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 1:39 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Doesn’t Vancouver have the downtown east side?? Or you just don’t like to publicize homelessness in your own country?

Anyhow how do you know that punitively high housing costs in Canada aren’t driving Canadian homeless south to American cities? I mean in Vancouver the income to housing Cost ratio is astronomically low, driving even university professors and doctors out of the city. How can you tolerate such glaring social issues?

Back to the topic , Melbourne always struck me as a larger San Diego with a very Victorian, British core (?) and Chinese money. Similarities to Boston or SF, are limited

Last edited by dc_denizen; Jan 12, 2020 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 3:10 AM

These days you'd be hard pressed to find areas as rough as that in the Australian cities. Nothing to that scale exists. In Sydney there's an inner city area called Redfern which up until 13-15 years ago was the city's ghetto with its indigenous social issues, but even that's been cleaned up and now it's just another white collar, expensive inner area.

Last edited by nameless dude; Jan 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
You are not sure what "LA's Skid Row has to do with LA in general'?
That must be the statement of the year; but thankfully for you, it is still January.

Please don't take it personally; I'm mostly replying to dc denizen idiotic comments. See below, he is now saying that Vancouver homeless are fueling LA's skid Row. If that is not the epitome of BS and self-delusion, then what is?

Love Malibu, by the way.
I was questioning what skid row has to do with density and urban form. I live 5 blocks from skid row, I'm well aware of the bullshit radiating from it

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Ugh, good job of showing a part of the city everyone avoids. Yes, all of downtown looks like that.

This has to be the dumbest post I've seen on this forum, and that's saying a TON.

Don't make it stupider by saying this the city's favored quarter, ok? Like that one post..
That’s like saying your underpants are clean, whilst trying to hide a skid mark......

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:09 PM
The New Republic

Agree. A city or country is a sum of all of its parts. One can't just disregard bits of it (in this case large swaths of it) like they don't count/matter..... although millions of people go to great lengths to do exactly that.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:31 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayser View Post

Afternoon/evening

Inner-city (~5-7km from the CBD) clusters - real images, envelope diagrams and renders

DTLA should so look like this.
Fabulous photo. Melbourne looks destined to become one of the biggest and most important/significant cities in the anglophone world. By the latter metric it's arguably already 6th or 7th.... and heading higher. Melbourne had 5,078,193 in 2019. That's (+113,480) or an increase of 2.3% over 2018. COVID-19 will be challenging but it will pass just like very global crisis before it. Over the long term, Melbourne will do very very well.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...B?Opendocument

Last edited by isaidso; May 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 10:56 PM

What is causing Melbourne to grow so quickly, versus Sydney?

The city of Melbourne looks nice, but the surrounding area looks bland compared to Sydney. Plus it's a good deal colder there as well, so it wouldn't be my first pick in Australia.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:18 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Melbourne is building a lot of condo towers for foreign investors, and reinvesting coal profits from China, so it’s therefore axiomatic that the city’s cultural, and economic prowess with increase .

Kind of like how Vegas and Miami now have a much higher cultural and economic profile than Boston and DC

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 12:51 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post

The city of Melbourne looks nice, but the surrounding area looks bland compared to Sydney. Plus it's a good deal colder there as well, so it wouldn't be my first pick in Australia.
Colder? You reckon? My rellies in Mel complain that it does go down to 9°C in winter. Makes you want to send them some blankies.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 1:23 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:

Port Jackson might be pretty but it all adds up to the cost of living in Sydney - whether you're buying or renting. The average joe, in Sydney, does not live on the harbour.

Sydney's sprawled out to its natural boundaries (national parks to the north and south) and has a smaller-ish amount of space left within its growth boundary for new suburban development (north-west and south-west outer fringes). Sydney has developed a lot more medium and high-density nodes as a result.

Melbourne on the other hand still has 3 growth corridors within the growth boundary (south-east, north and west) while also has about 1500 medium and high density residential projects through the inner and middle rings of the city - the suburban or urban dream is cheaper still in Melbourne versus Sydney.

Dark blue: built-out already, light blue: a mixture of existing industrial areas, green wedges, new space for more industrial/commercial and residential/sprawl, blue/yellow edge: urban growth boundary, yellow = Melbourne GCCSA (the main metropolitan population metric for Melbourne). Click the image for a larger version which also shows all the city councils that make up the metro area.

Also, we get more NOM in Melbourne and Sydney is the perennial net interstate migration loser (mainly up to QLD).

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:

lol this is funny. Even when it comes to countries on the other side of the world SSP applies the same strange ideologies to reason population trends.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 8:34 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Melbourne real estate is expensive but still cheaper than Sydney. It's shifted momentum from one to the other but I suspect Melbourne would have eventually moved ahead any way. If memory serves me correctly, Melbourne used to be Australia's top city. Despite getting passed by Sydney it remained Australia's centre of culture, sport, industry, etc. Melbourne's simply reclaiming the top position it temporarily ceded to Sydney.

Melbourne is colder than Sydney but it's a bit like saying San Francisco is colder than San Diego. If I moved to Australia, Melbourne would easily be my #1 choice. Sydney looks like a nice city too but has never resonated with me. It comes off very self absorbed and pretentious. It doesn't hurt that Melbourne reminds me of the city I currently live in.

tayser: do you think Adelaide will eventually break out of its 'low' growth pattern? I realize that it's smaller and less cosmopolitan than Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth but it's not insignificant either. I'm only going by photographs but Adelaide (and South Australia) look good to me. What am I missing or is it simply because the other 4 are seen as more attractive?

Last edited by isaidso; May 2, 2020 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 8:56 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Melbourne is building a lot of condo towers for foreign investors, and reinvesting coal profits from China, so it’s therefore axiomatic that the city’s cultural, and economic prowess with increase .

Kind of like how Vegas and Miami now have a much higher cultural and economic profile than Boston and DC
Um.... Melbourne has ALWAYS been Australia's cultural capital. Comparing it to Vegas or Miami completely dismisses and negates Melbourne's cultural historical importance.

Last edited by isaidso; May 3, 2020 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 12:29 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Oh I thought it was Adelaide , my mistake

Cultural capitals don’t send their best intellectuals 14000 miles away

Germaine Greer
Clive James
Etc

The cultural capital of Australia is London , Uk

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 12:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Both Sydney and Melbourne are awesome cities. I had a great time visiting both, in 2003 and in 2013. Sydney was awesome for its beaches and natural setting, but I preferred Melbourne by a tad, for its great architecture and general funkiness.

Australia has a great home-grown cultural scene. Quite outstanding, in my opinion. But then, I am just a Canadian, eh?

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:28 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Canadians on this thread clearly have an affinity for other commonwealth countries, and vice versa; they are very intolerant of even slight cynicism.

I mean it can't even by pointed out that china might have a wee bit to do with melbourne's boom without someone flying off the handle and posting pics of LA's skid row

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:33 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Well I loved New York City, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Philadelphia and many other cities in America, large and small. Pity me and other poor Canadians who must secretly yearn for the approval of dc_denizen*.

*Like a fly on shit, he lands on every thread that has anything positive to say about Canada or Australia, and pours out his vinegar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions