HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's on Commerce Street, which is lined with blank walls and basically an alley. This is New Orleans, so you can't go underground for utility closets and such... Gotta find room for them on the ground floor.

The entrance on Tchoup seems pretty well designed, with a sitting area right there and plenty of transparency.
Exactly... They purposely put the vehicular entrance on Commerce because that is an alley type street. I think overall its an improvement and gets rid of surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
I'm really liking the WTC applicants this time around (especially HRI), it really gives me hope for the building. I had thought before that we could do a brand better than a W Hotel for the building, I just didn't know what. I was hoping to see an appearance by Trump, but I guess our market still isn't quite that strong.
Obviously this is my opinion, but I think Four Seasons is a better brand then Trump. Also, it would be nice for this project to be catalytic and not insular type development that doesn't give anything back to the city in term of impact. trumps developments are usually very insular. Either way, I agree that its impressive the amount of responses this time. Guess the city knew what it was doing when it broke off negotiations.

After reading details of all the proposals, I will say the quality of the bidders and their proposals has definitely improved. This will be a tough decision! Which is a good thing!

however this proposal is amazing:

Samuel Burfict and family: Their four-page, handwritten proposal asks for the city to donate or sell the building for $1 to the family to create a "miniature United Nations." Officials said the proposal did not meet all of the city's requirements. lol

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Obviously this is my opinion, but I think Four Seasons is a better brand then Trump. Also, it would be nice for this project to be catalytic and not insular type development that doesn't give anything back to the city in term of impact. trumps developments are usually very insular. Either way, I agree that its impressive the amount of responses this time. Guess the city knew what it was doing when it broke off negotiations.

After reading details of all the proposals, I will say the quality of the bidders and their proposals has definitely improved. This will be a tough decision! Which is a good thing!

however this proposal is amazing:

Samuel Burfict and family: Their four-page, handwritten proposal asks for the city to donate or sell the building for $1 to the family to create a "miniature United Nations." Officials said the proposal did not meet all of the city's requirements. lol
I haven't had a time to flip through them yet, but I can't wait! Was there lease payment / upfront info for most of the bidders? The only one I saw in the NOLA.com article was Two Canal Street Investors ($20mm upfront, $1.5mm a year, 99 year).

Four Seasons in that location seems great. Only thing I kind of wish is that there was a bigger apartment component to that one. We've had so much hotel construction recently, it would be nice to see some (more) kick-a$$ penthouse apartments developed at the foot of Canal.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 10:36 PM

Orpheum Renovation Photos

I don't know if these have been posted before, but here are some nice pictures of the progress at the Orpheum on their Google Plus page:

https://plus.google.com/108941620309...ts/7VzznKWyAgP

Here's the background from their website (orpheumnola.com):

Looks like it will be a real gem when it's finished next fall!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:28 AM

Can't wait to attend an LPO concert there when it opens.

Also, the airport released an update on the North Terminal project. Looks like design development is 25% complete, and one big change has occurred. The parking garage will be north of the terminal in conjunction with the hotel. This design seems more logical, and the traffic flow should be better for arrivals and departures with the parking traffic on a separate roadway.

http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interio...20nov%2014.pdf

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:07 AM
TL;DR

Ugh. I knew this project would slowly have all the magic sucked out of it. The worst part of airports is the god-awful parking garages, the original design at least tried to terrace the parking and tuck it into the approach road.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:18 AM

A few minor updates from walking around downtown tonight...

Very bright lights were on in the first few floors of the California Building -- they are definitely pushing ahead with this reno as I've noticed regular activity in there the past 5 weeks or so. The fact they're still going Friday evening says something.

The Orpheum does look nice (stopped to look in from the window). A lot of work left to be done but they're chugging along.

The Canal-side corner of Common and Baronne is blocked off and Common is one lane. It looks like they're doing some serious work to 925 Common building. Not sure if it's ground floor tenant buildout or if it's Phase II of the project. Either way Baronne is just a mess with all of the construction.

Finally, I got into a random conversation with the Lucky Dog vendor on the corner of Bourbon and Canal. He said that above the old Foot Locker/new Walgreens corner store (Corner W) they will be putting in some corporate Walgreens office. Not sure how trustworthy he is but he's there all the time and certainly seemed confident that it'll hold Walgreens' regional corporate office. I wasn't aware of anything going in the top two floors of that building, but I do know from a quick Google search the district offices are located in Metairie... maybe that's what he meant will be there?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Can't wait to attend an LPO concert there when it opens.

Also, the airport released an update on the North Terminal project. Looks like design development is 25% complete, and one big change has occurred. The parking garage will be north of the terminal in conjunction with the hotel. This design seems more logical, and the traffic flow should be better for arrivals and departures with the parking traffic on a separate roadway.

http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interio...20nov%2014.pdf

Any ideas of what the original parking areas are going to be used for?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:25 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ugh. I knew this project would slowly have all the magic sucked out of it. The worst part of airports is the god-awful parking garages, the original design at least tried to terrace the parking and tuck it into the approach road.
Yep. Shame.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 8:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post

Any ideas of what the original parking areas are going to be used for?
Looks like some serious logging.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 8:57 PM
-

Im fine with the new location of parking... seems to make more sense and looks like it will be a better looking parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 11:41 PM

The garages will still be there on the south side for use. Since they will be remote lots, the prices should be considerably cheaper than what they are now. I think the offsite lots will move up to Veterans to be closer to the new terminal. The rental car facility will remain where it is, so a bus system will have to be put in place to get people there.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:45 PM

New SMD rendering

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Still surprised they are wasting so much prime area on an entrance like that. I thought they would at least open the retail up to the promenade more but from these renderings it just seems there will be blank walls which surprises me.

Renderings for O'keefe Parking Garage (412 O'keefe Avenue):

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:46 PM
on the south side

Looks like it will be a real gem when it's finished next fall![/QUOTE]

Wow..this is awesome progress. Didn't realize there was any recent movement with the Orpheum. I'm also reading of the start of renovation to the State Palace. Geaux NOLA!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post

Looks like it will be a real gem when it's finished next fall!

Wow..this is awesome progress. Didn't realize there was any recent movement with the Orpheum. I'm also reading of the start of renovation to the State Palace. Geaux NOLA!!
Could you share the link about the State Palace?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 9:16 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Could you share the link about the State Palace?
This article was posted back in August. There might be more recent news that I'm not privy too with me being in Austin.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...veloper_c.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:54 AM
TL;DR

No retail in the O'Keefe garage. I think retail space here would be a black-window failure given the existing low demand for CBD storefronts, but I can't say I like that garage design... yuck.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:30 PM
life is good

See, I feel like downtown is just getting started as a residential neighborhood. And it feels like a bit of an office resurgence is coming as well. Difficulty filling retail right now shouldn't mean we get substandard design. Parking garages need retail to not be a total streetscape killer.

It just seems like once all the UC apts are delivered (and with ongoing new construction) that there will be a much higher demand for walkable retail DT. We should build it

Multiple projects take shape on lower St. Charles
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...er+St.+Charles

Quote:
A mile-long stretch of Uptown’s premier thoroughfare is transforming as business owners and developers see new potential in properties they say have been underutilized.
An assortment of projects in the 10-block stretch of St. Charles Avenue between Josephine Street and the Pontchartrain Expressway overpass are either in development or under construction. Some are merely improvements on existing businesses, but others involve a complete change of use.
“Considering the location, I think some people might be asking why there isn’t more activity and why it hasn’t come sooner?” said Jonathan Shaver, an agent with Re/Max Commercial Brokers. “It is a central location that has historic building stock asking for new life.”
In the past six months, Shaver has been involved in three transactions in the neighborhood, including a pair of properties along Prytania Street that are being renovated for residential use....
“The activity in the past few months is similar to what has been going on a few blocks up on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard,” Shaver said. “Property owners are seeing the value of being just blocks from the Warehouse District and the CBD.”
Shaver’s most recent sale in the area was in July, when he helped auction house owner Adam Lambert purchase the former Daiquiri Palace Café at 1401 St. Charles Ave. The building had been shuttered since 2012, when the city closed the business after a series of violations and neighborhood complaints.
“It’s a good piece of property that had been stigmatized by previous use,” Shaver said. “It was hard to pinpoint the highest and best use.”
Lambert, who operates Crescent City Auction Gallery across the street, has now reopened the property as Crescent City Auction Exchange, an additional showroom and auction house. He said he had been eyeing the property since the bar closed and was waiting for the right time to grow his business.
“I saw this as an opportunity to do something with the space that would bring the property back up to the standards of the neighborhood,” Lambert said. “This stretch of St. Charles serves as a sort of transition between the Warehouse District and Garden District. I think there are a number of business owners looking for ways to attract more visitors to this part of the street.”
A few blocks from Lambert’s property, developer Jess Bourgeois is in the process of redeveloping the former Halpern’s Furnishing store at 1532 St. Charles Ave. into a liquor distillery and restaurant. He wants his project to contribute to what he describes as a “synergy” among restaurant owners in the area.
“You’ve got Zea’s, the Irish House, Houston’s and Delmonico all within walking distance of each other, and we hope to fit right in by offering something a little different,” Bourgeois said. “With a few more key business owners in the mix, I believe this stretch of St. Charles Avenue is set to become a more pedestrian-friendly neighborhood similar to what you see along Magazine Street.”...
Immediately behind Bourgeois’ project, a minor hotel expansion is starting to take shape. The Prytania Park Hotel, 1525 Prytania St., is planning a 200-room, two-phase expansion that would occupy almost an entire block along St. Charles Avenue. The Halpern family also owns the hotel.
American Can building architects want to highlight retail space, remove some parking
http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/11/...-some-parking/

Quote:
Architects for the American Can apartment and retail building in Mid-City want the city to approve a project which would bring attention to the building’s commercial spaces, but eliminate some parking from the complex’s connected lot.

According to plans filed with the City of New Orleans in October, the capital improvement project calls for a raised pedestrian walkway as well as new signage and lighting added to the north side of the American Can building. The project would also replace the existing windows with floor-to-ceiling glass storefronts.

Limited space available in the parking lot of the American Can company, however, means that the architects would have to get rid of nine parking spaces from the retail parking lot in the north side of the property, according to Jack Sawyer, the architect overseeing the project.

According to Sawyer, the sacrificed parking would be worth the added attention a new walkway would bring to the building, and its nearly 19,000 square feet of retail space.

“A lot of people don’t realize that there’s retail there,” Sawyer said, adding the the building has a PJ’s coffee shop, Pearl Wine Company’s store and wine bar, a fitness center and a library that go underused. “This would increase the traffic, get more interest in the project and improve surroundings.”

The building has eight retail spaces, but so far only six of them are being used, Sawyer added.

Right now, the lot attached to the building has 76 parking spaces, according to Sawyer, who works for Eskew + Ripple + Dumez Architects. The plan would only eliminate spaces for the commercial stores, and not for the residents who live in the building’s condo apartments...

Last edited by Eightball; Nov 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
See, I feel like downtown is just getting started as a residential neighborhood. And it feels like a bit of an office resurgence is coming as well. Difficulty filling retail right now shouldn't mean we get substandard design. Parking garages need retail to not be a total streetscape killer.

It just seems like once all the UC apts are delivered (and with ongoing new construction) that there will be a much higher demand for walkable retail DT. We should build it

Multiple projects take shape on lower St. Charles
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...er+St.+Charles

American Can building architects want to highlight retail space, remove some parking
http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/11/...-some-parking/
I agree about the retail but it looks like the building is designed to allow for easy conversion of the vip garage to retail space when the market is there. I think that's a recent compromise. With the exception of Okeefe the parking garage isn't on any type of busy street. Certainly we should still get good design and im very interested to see the comments made by city planning staff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations